Ash vs Evil Dead -- the sequel series

Started by JasonPratt, July 14, 2015, 08:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I admit, I'm pretty conflicted. I adore Bruce Campbell, and think he's steadily gotten better as an actor over time. (Which his long stint on Burn Notice also helped with.) Bruce and Lucy Lawless, both important Sam Raimi confederates, in a TV show together?? UNENDING SQUEES!

Bruce Campbell vs. the Army of Darkness? (Well, that's what it says in the movie's own title!) One of my favorite movies ever.

The original two Evil Dead movies? Not so much. I know a lot of people love them, but they just aren't for me. (And yes I watched them once to be sure, because I loved Army of Darkness so much.)

I never thought the second movie was as funny as many other people seem to think, certainly not on the same level as AoD; and I'm perfectly baffled why anyone thought the first movie counted as 'funny' at all. (It's great for what it is, but not funny; also, not a movie I ever want to watch again. Ditto ED2, though that was a little more palatable to me.)

Despite AoD being technically R rated, it felt a lot more like an edgy PG-13 movie, and I really think that helps it refine its writing not shackles it. Which film gets quote-mined more, you primitive screwheads? Do I even have to ask? Heck, the only obvious quote refs in the trailer are from AoD!

This -- definitely isn't PG-13 writing, even in a technically R film. This is definitely more in the vein of Evil Dead 2. I'm not sure from the trailer that they're even acknowledging AoD == ED3 happened. (Also, what happened to S-mart?? Did that get trademarked by someone eventually, and if so how'd that even happen!? Shop smart, shop S-Mart not whatever other more generic tool house is in the show now: YOU GOT THAT!?  :)) )

But it's also clearly got more of the wit of AoD than ED2 had (much moreso than ED1).

Sigh. I don't think I can bear to watch it, but it sure looks like a hoot.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

Oh Hell Yeah, I'm in. Even though I don't have Starz. I thought they destroyed that damned book, how many times?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Well, they didn't destroy it in AoD, they used it to send him home. I can't recall what they did in ED1 or 2... did destroying the Necronomicon open the portal to medieval England?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Nefaro

Sweet baby raptor jesus!  Seriously?

It's about fookeen time!   And a series even? 

O0

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

Arctic Blast

JasonPratt

Quote from: mirth on July 14, 2015, 09:00:06 PM
Sweet baby raptor Jesus, indeed.

Can't lie: I heard that in Bruce Campbell's voice.  :smitten:

Nefaro

Wasn't Bruce (and fans) pushing for another in the series for the last couple decades?  I guess everyone finally pestered Raimi enough for him to give in.  O0

Also... I'm wondering how many epsiodes there will be in this run.  IMDB lists ten, but it seems rather spotty on details.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Nefaro on July 15, 2015, 05:54:32 PM

Wasn't Bruce (and fans) pushing for another in the series for the last couple decades?  I guess everyone finally pestered Raimi enough for him to give in.  O0

Also... I'm wondering how many epsiodes there will be in this run.  IMDB lists ten, but it seems rather spotty on details.

Raimi kept coming up with bizarre requirements to do so, like Bruce (and Ash) would have to weigh 400 pounds and so on.

Then there was the rumored Freddy vs. Jason sequel that would see Michael Myers join the murder squad...and Ash show up to fight every one of them. Sadly, that didn't happen, either.

Nefaro

A new trailer with a couple different bits than the first.

Nefaro

First episode starts this weekend!

Saturday IIRC.

Those sneaky bastards at Starz figured out one of the few ways to make me sub.   ^-^

They also have an Evil Dead/AoD marathon the night/day before. 

I always got the impression that Sam Raimi absolutely did not want to make any more of these movies, over the years.  Despite Bruce and all the fans constantly asking for it.

I don't think that has really changed; I read he's only personally directing the first episode. 

Con

I love AoD as well but most series dont pull me in.  I will wait to see what you guys think (even though I have Starz I think somewhere in my cable package).

Con

Nefaro

ROFL

Watched the first episode 'On Demand' this afternoon.

Oh sweet hilarious gore.  ;D

Groovy.

Nefaro

First four minutes of initial episode..

**NSFW!**