Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Tabletop AARs / Re: 4 am, June 25, 1944: Operation Dauntless
« Last post by MengJiao on Today at 07:39:39 PM »

And they held on.    Here's the situation at about 2pm:

4pm -- British move starts and they put up air recon.  The circled red 14 is a reminder that that asset will be gone when Epsom starts on turn 14.
It's turn 9 and after 12 hours of battle, things are not going very well for either side: Panzer Lehr is barely holding on and the 49th is nowhere near its main objectives:

Approaching 5:30 -- the 49th is slowing down and the 192 Bn of the 21st Pz has arrived.  Next turn KG Wunch will show up and that should make life very hard for the 49th.  And in a few more turns the 49th:
a) loses most of its Army level support as Epsom kicks off just to the east
b) is late to take its objectives around Ruaray
c) will face all the German Army-level reserves that it has drawn in on itself

So things look as grim in the game as they did for the 49th historically.

Or even worse.  A late day thrust on the British left gets chewed up by a massive counter-attack heavy in Panthers.  One British Infantry battalion is out of action for a while and 7 Sherman and 4 Panther steps are wrecked:

Tabletop AARs / Re: 4 am, June 25, 1944: Operation Dauntless
« Last post by MengJiao on Today at 03:31:53 PM »

And they held on.    Here's the situation at about 2pm:

4pm -- British move starts and they put up air recon.  The circled red 14 is a reminder that that asset will be gone when Epsom starts on turn 14.
It's turn 9 and after 12 hours of battle, things are not going very well for either side: Panzer Lehr is barely holding on and the 49th is nowhere near its main objectives:

Approaching 5:30 -- the 49th is slowing down and the 192 Bn of the 21st Pz has arrived.  Next turn KG Wunch will show up and that should make life very hard for the 49th.  And in a few more turns the 49th:
a) loses most of its Army level support as Epsom kicks off just to the east
b) is late to take its objectives around Ruaray
c) will face all the German Army-level reserves that it has drawn in on itself

So things look as grim in the game as they did for the 49th historically.
^^ This is going to be one of those Fizban plot-twists, isn't it?

Hey, did Airboy always have a microphone to help ticc off the enemy?
Tabletop AARs / Re: Tide of Iron: Eastern Front
« Last post by Silent Disapproval Robot on Today at 03:21:20 PM »
You can still find it on sale at a lot of places.  The only one that's difficult to find is the Days of the Fox expansion but FFG/Asmodee just did a stealth release of the reprint so if you ask your FLGS, they should be able to bring one in.

Meeplemart in Canada has it on sale right now.

http://www.meeplemart.com/store/Search.aspx?SearchTerms=tide%20of%20iron

Tabletop AARs / Re: Tide of Iron: Eastern Front
« Last post by BC on Today at 02:58:38 PM »
Amazing stuff, SDR!

Man, I should have picked up this game during the last holiday sale...I remember how good the prices were, too.  :-[
Tabletop AARs / Re: Outpost Gamma AAR: Discussion Thread
« Last post by BC on Today at 01:10:37 PM »
Progress report: I have the intro and the first turn written out.

Only a hair over 4,000 words so far!  :D
Tabletop AARs / Re: Barbarian Prince: A Cal Arath Struggle for Righteousness
« Last post by BC on Today at 12:52:10 PM »
DAY/TURN 6

So, where were we?

Oh, yeah...Cal was lost, but found a Mage to help out.

We were pushing towards the ruins in the Dead Plains to the south.

As Day 6 dawns, Cal and his mage pal head out, hopefully finding their way into the next Hill hex.

The roll is...

...a total of 7. We get lost on an 8+, so hey, they made it!

Now, to check for an Event...

...an 11 means yes, we run into something.

So, let's refer to that thar Hills table...

...and make the first roll...

...and the next die roll...

Oh, heyll.

You encounter a huge, winged, fire-breathing Dragon with combat skill 10 and endurance 11.

Roll one die, if the result is 1 or 2 you have found it at its lair, which has wealth 110 and wealth 60 both. With any other roll, it has only wealth 30.

So, let's see if we happened to step into a dragon-sized hole in the side of one of these hills and stumbled into a giant, murderous lizard's death trap, shall we?

:-\

Ohh yes, we shall!

We've found a dragon in a dragon's lair, no less.

As with most possibly violent encounters, we have a choice. In this case, talking is not an option; we can either Evade or Fight.

Heck with it. We're gonna fight.

Making a die roll...

...we actually have a chance at surprising the wee beastie.

r303 Surprise
Roll one die, if the number of characters in your party is less than the roll, your party surprises the characters encountered; otherwise you strike first in combat (r220).

So with two party members, I need to roll a 1...to surprise the dragon...but the rule further states that if I do not roll a 1, I strike first in combat...?

That doesn't make much sense, honestly.

And I roll completely the opposite of 1 on a die roll, so let's see how this pans out.

According to the combat rules, I see what happened - if I managed to roll that 1, the Mage and Cal both would get a free attack before beginning rounds, in which they'd get first attack. Since I bungled that roll, we still get first attack, just not a free one.

Let's just jump right in and see how quickly we die now!

Since we get first strike, I'll start with the Mage. He has Combat Skill 3, Endurance 5. As far as I can tell, the Mage has no special abilities other than possibly affecting future Events.

I take his Combat Skill and subtract the Combat Skill of his target (10) from that, getting a -7.

:DD

Now I roll two dice, and add the results to that -7...

...well, that's a good thing...maybe?

Certainly, it's not a bad thing...the Mage inflicts one Wound on the dragon.

Go Team Barbarian!

His excitement shows no bounds!

Or maybe that's just him giving the stink-eye to Cal for starting a fight with a dragon...

Next up is the ol' BP himself. Subtracting the dragon's dominating Combat Skill of 10 from the Prince's Combat Skill of 8, we get a -2.

Rolling two dice for the Prince, we get...

...a 7, and applying the -2 means a result of 5. One more Wound is struck against the Dragon.

Now, it's the dragon's turn...

...though I'm not seeing a rule that states a procedure for how a single enemy targets multiple characters in the Prince's party. I guess I'll have to wing it. If anyone knows, please post it in this thread!

I'll say the dragon attacks Cal on an even roll, an the Mage on an odd roll...

Cal it is!

CS of 10 for the dragon, minus Cal's 8, equals 2. For the dragon, I roll...

Oh, thank goodness. I know the Prince can die easily in this game and the more I think about it, the more I think this was a dumb idea. Those of you who have played it a lot recently are probably still questioning my decision-making process!

Two plus two more from the die roll is 4 of course, and looking on the Combat Table, there is no result for '4', so the dragon...misses.

Whoa.

THAT was damned lucky. I don't expect that to hold up!

Let's say, for example, I'd rolled a 12 instead of a 2. Twelve plus 4 = 16, which results in FIVE (count 'em) wounds.

That would have hurt. A lot.

So let's keep moving...the Mage goes again. I roll for him...

...double 3's, equaling 6, and taking that from -7 is...-1.

Still, it shows up on the Combat Table...-1 means one Wound.

We're tinking away at the dragon, slowly but surely...but probably way, way too slowly. I might need to dust off the 'escape' part of the rules to see what's up there.

Next, I roll for Cal...

...which ends up a 10. Eight minus 10 is -2, plus the 10 from the die roll equals 8, which is another wound.

We don't have a hope in hell of getting more than one wound a turn on this thing. The lowest result for that is a 10. Cal has to roll boxcars to get those two wounds on the dragon. Meanwhile, I'll take what we can get.

What happens next?

Will Cal and the Mage be successful and bring down this extremely powerful opponent?

Will the dragon laugh as he squashes our hero's innards like paste between his giant dragon toes?

All shall be revealed soon...tune in next time!

Tabletop AARs / Re: Starfire Saga - return to VX-134
« Last post by JasonPratt on Today at 07:37:31 AM »
 :bd:
Tabletop AARs / Re: Barbarian Prince: A Cal Arath Struggle for Righteousness
« Last post by BC on Today at 07:35:53 AM »
Ha, thanks JP!

It probably is in TTS, but with some games it's easier to 'play' it in Photoshop. That way I can manipulate graphics as needed, and more quickly.
How have I missed this for a whole week!?!?

Note: I'm about 95% sure this is also available as a TTS mod.

Re Wits: this will help explain a number of things in this game, including "how could you get lost crossing a river"?

Re elf gender assumptions: in my head canon, the elf was female and joined up for obvious reasons relating to one of the Arnold screenshots, but BPCal though the elf was a guy. See also: Wits.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10