Recent posts

Organizations and Equipment / Re: Tanks!
Last post by GDS_Starfury - February 03, 2024, 01:02:49 PM
well worth the watch.

Military (and other) History / Re: Amelia is that you??
Last post by Dammit Carl! - February 03, 2024, 12:32:32 PM
"Chasing Earhart," podcast has a relatively recent episode where there is a very promising lead on what may be the resting place of Earhart and Noonan.  TLDR, rather than drive onward to an unknown, Earhart turned around and tried to make it back to the last passed airfield that could suffice for the Electra.  Buna (the island/airfield) was apparently just never thought of when it came time to search for Earhart when that was going on and it wasn't until a fellow came around to that way of thinking and started doing on-the-ground research that he heard testimony from an eye witness of a plane crash at around that time, and diving on the site of the plane remains, the researcher came across a few more items that were unique to Earhart's plane.  There was/is supposedly another visit to that site this year with the hopes of pulling better and more concrete information from the wreck so fingers crossed.
Organizations and Equipment / Re: Planes!
Last post by GDS_Starfury - February 02, 2024, 12:28:41 AM
when you just want to say fuck you a few thousand times a minute.

Organizations and Equipment / Re: Ships!
Last post by GDS_Starfury - February 01, 2024, 10:49:36 PM
Military (and other) History / Re: US Army in World War II
Last post by W8taminute - January 31, 2024, 01:02:22 PM
^Watching your video now. 
Last post by Tripoli - January 31, 2024, 12:55:09 PM
Quote from: Randy76 on January 31, 2024, 08:49:04 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on January 28, 2024, 07:45:44 PMLotsa old friends in this post.  God bless wherever you are. 

I remember that game Randy but never got a chance to play it.  Thanks for the link!

You're welcome! That game's a sentimental favorite of mine- and (I think) a decent game in its own right. I spent a lot of time going over the terrain of that island on Google maps last summer. Really made me appreciate what an accomplishment it was for the Allies to take that island in just over a month against the "masters of defensive warfare."
At the risk of shameless self promotion and engaging in thread high-jacking (in the 2nd degree), I did an AAR using Combat mission of the first scenario of the Triona campaign, in part because of the terrain.  The AAR is here: https://youtu.be/jKGujq1NnLM?t=1  (I will be getting to the rest of the campaign.  I just need to upgrade my day to having 30 hours in it   :laugh: )
Last post by Randy76 - January 31, 2024, 08:49:04 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on January 28, 2024, 07:45:44 PMLotsa old friends in this post.  God bless wherever you are. 

I remember that game Randy but never got a chance to play it.  Thanks for the link!

You're welcome! That game's a sentimental favorite of mine- and (I think) a decent game in its own right. I spent a lot of time going over the terrain of that island on Google maps last summer. Really made me appreciate what an accomplishment it was for the Allies to take that island in just over a month against the "masters of defensive warfare."
Organizations and Equipment / Re: Planes!
Last post by GDS_Starfury - January 31, 2024, 03:38:12 AM
Military (and other) History / Re: Amelia is that you??
Last post by Gusington - January 30, 2024, 09:12:31 PM
^Saw this on NBC News yesterday. One of my favorite mysteries of all time.

That link mentions 'giant crabs' as a possible cause of the disappearance...first time I've read that one  :shocked:
Military (and other) History / Amelia is that you??
Last post by steve58 - January 30, 2024, 05:51:17 PM
Maybe they have finally found her plane.  That sonar image sure looks interesting.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/a46576633/amelia-earhart-plane-found/