Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Organizations and Equipment / Re: F35 - Bad idea made worse over time?
« Last post by GDS_Starfury on Yesterday at 08:03:32 PM »
the Air Force is trying to stick with its hi/lo mix of planes to keep things relatively simple.  what they need is a hi/medium/low mix to be as flexible as they need to be.
with this idea the F-22/F-15 is the high, the F-35/F-16 is the medium and something like the A-10 is the low.
Organizations and Equipment / Re: Tanks!
« Last post by Staggerwing on Yesterday at 05:08:00 PM »
No good against shaped charges or penetrators but could it spoof the heat sig? Degrade laser returns?
Organizations and Equipment / Re: Ships!
« Last post by besilarius on Yesterday at 08:37:16 AM »
Last photo of Yorktown, CV-5
Organizations and Equipment / Re: Tanks!
« Last post by bayonetbrant on Yesterday at 07:30:51 AM »
Looks like a Commando V200 under the firewood

(edit: just clicked on the link to read the article - it's a V150.)
« Last post by Airborne Rifles on Yesterday at 06:53:03 AM »
Being an Army guy, I'm no missionary for the Air Force, but since our country (and our allies) have dumped so much money into this program, I really want it to be worth it. After all the bad press, it actually looks like the F-35 is going to deliver on its promises. I read recently that the price is on its way down to $85 million a copy on the A variant, which is comparable to other non-stealth 4th and 4.5 generation fighters, or a modern airliner. And apparently the maneuvers conducted by the F-35 at the Paris Air Show this week showed that a combat loaded F-35 can pull off maneuvers that 4 and 4.5 generation fighters can't do flying clean. The same article said that those maneuvers were conducted with software that won't as yet even let the F-35 take advantage of its full range of maneuverability. And there have already been more F-35s delivered than F-22s.   
« Last post by bayonetbrant on Yesterday at 06:44:08 AM »
I'm surprised you knew they were airplanes :P

All our shit starts with "M"

Besides, it's been a long time since there's been much need to ID enemy aircraft combat.
« Last post by mirth on Yesterday at 06:28:43 AM »
I'm surprised you knew they were airplanes :P
« Last post by bayonetbrant on Yesterday at 06:13:15 AM »
Thanks for clarifying the comparisons between Fighters. Keep in mind I learned it all mainly from army guys, so there are bound to be some errors when they are talking about non-military services. ;D
« Last post by trailrunner on Yesterday at 05:54:56 AM »
Has the F22 replaced the F-15 then or is that still ongoing or stopped?

F22 production is wrapped.

IIRC, it was the F16 replacement, though, right?

I always learned it as:
F16 = primarily air-to-air fighter, can do other things, too, but designed to fight other aircraft
F15 = primarily a strike fighter, that can fight air-to-air well enough to defend itself, but not primarily to fight other aircraft

So the F22 = F16 replacement, and F35 = F15 replacement

The F-15 was originally designed as an air-to-air fighter.  That was the F-15C and was the primary air superiority fighter.  The F-15E (strike eagle) added the air-to-ground capability. 

The F-35 was definitely sold as an A-10 and F-16 replacement, the single-engine low part of the high-low mix.  That also helped justify the large buy of 3,000 aircraft, while we were only going to buy 179 F-22 (which got increased to 183 (I think) because of crashes).

The F-22 was not sold as a direct replacement for the F-15, but when it came to performance, the F-22 was compared to the F-15, but not the F-16.  Both the F-22 and the F-15 are two-engine fighters, with a primary role of air-to-air and with an added air-to-ground role.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10