Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Religion, Politics, and Flame Wars / Re: Alabama Senate Election
« Last post by SirAndrewD on Today at 12:07:24 PM »
@Airboy and SirAndrewD

That is so sad. Do you not have any candidates with either a spine, principles, or preferably both?

I don't think Roy Moore can be accused of having no spine or principals.  He has been elected Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme court three times.  The first two he was removed from office for violating the Constitution by refusing Federal orders to remove a monument of the Ten Commandments from State Grounds.  The third time, he was found guilty of ethics violations pertaining to actively refusing to enforce the Federal legalization of gay marriage and suspended.

So yeah, you can't say he doesn't stand up for what he believes in.  I just don't believe in the same things he does, vehemently so.  As a judge, it's his responsibility to uphold the Constitution and defend the law.  Instead, he's made a career of trying to turn Alabama into a theocracy, as he actively believes that Christian biblical law takes precedence over the Constitution.   That's fine if he wants to believe that, but let him be a pastor and not a holder of high political office. 

As to Strange, he's just a Trump sycophant.  Pretty much a typical Alabama lawmaker, modestly corrupt and catering to the very right wing base.  As much as I dislike him, I probably will go and vote for him in the runoff like Airboy suggests just so Moore won't have the nomination.   It's virtually impossible for a Democrat to win a statewide seat in Alabama right now, so it'll be important that we get the lesser of the two evils in the side that will likely win.   I'll still cast a protest vote for the Democrat, Jones, in the general election.
Music, TV, Movies / Re: Defenders Assemble!
« Last post by Nefaro on Today at 11:44:18 AM »
Marvel's Defenders is out, today, on Netflix.

After the sadly underwhelming Iron Fist treatment, I don't have much in the way of expectations for it.

Thus far, I think the best characters & story, in all these Netflix Marvel series, haven't been about the main character.  Best things about Daredevil was D'Onofrio's Kingpin, Bernthal's Punisher, for example.  Similarly, but to a lesser degree, Cottonmouth, Kilgrave, and the Meachum brother & sister.

And those shows only had one main protagonist.  I fear Defenders may have to divide it's attention too much, leaving the more interesting supporting/opposing characters the short end.
Does the same argument apply to the counter protesters?

Don't be ridiculous Marty. They were all peaceful.

if you show up at that rally, you know exactly what you're getting into

arguing the contrary is disingenuous at best.

Does the same argument apply to the counter protesters?

'Some Left-Wing Protesters Were Ready To Trade Blows In Charlottesville'

http://www.npr.org/2017/08/17/544108578/some-left-wing-protesters-were-ready-to-trade-blows-in-charlottesville
There were others besides neo-nazis and white supremacists protesting

sorry, I'm not buying that for even one half of one tenth of a second.

You don't have to buy it. You can read the police affidavit on who was expected to march.

https://www.vox.com/2017/8/12/16138246/charlottesville-nazi-rally-right-uva

So is claiming the other side wasn't looking for violent confrontation.

If I wanted to protest I wouldn't do it at the meeting organised by those groups, unless I somehow agreed with their ideas (or leave the moment I hear them shouting anti jew slogans).

That is beside the point. Everyone protesting wasn't an extremist but I would bet everyone who started a physical confrontation was.
There were others besides neo-nazis and white supremacists protesting

sorry, I'm not buying that for even one half of one tenth of a second.

see the posters above.

if you show up at that rally, you know exactly what you're getting into

Trump disavowed hate and racism. Trump rightfully and accurately accused both the fringe right and the fringe left of causing violence...what exactly is the problem?

Correct me if I'm wrong but this how I understand what he said : 'there are good people on both sides' ... so there are good protesters on the left but there are also good neo-nazis and good white-supremacists .
If I understood this correctly isn't that a problem ?

There were others besides neo-nazis and white supremacists protesting just like there were others beside the antifa fascists there who did not want violence.

If I wanted to protest I wouldn't do it at the meeting organised by those groups, unless I somehow agreed with their ideas (or leave the moment I hear them shouting anti jew slogans).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10