Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Computer Wargaming / Re: Burden of Command Announced
« Last post by ComradeP on Yesterday at 11:41:24 PM »
Support assets were and are limited in any army. As seen in WWII, in Normandy for example, over reliance on support assets can also have negative effects on performance, like extreme caution or unwillingness to assault.

You shouldn't see it as being punished, but rather that regiment/battalion HQ thinks the assets might be of more use elsewhere, in part based on how you handled the assets previously. As a platoon/company commander, you can make requests, but you don't have any control over if you actually get it. A faulty radio or the FO team being killed were also real problems, just like vehicles getting stuck in the mud.

If battalion has a tank platoon at its disposal, and your company has a history of handling itself well in combat but an adjacent company is struggling to get going, you might not get that tank platoon. If you're struggling, but an adjacent company has a more important mission, you might not get that tank platoon either.

Due to the uncertainty of war, it was not unusual to receive more support than would normally be assigned compared to the resistance encountered, or too little. 

When you read first hand accounts of the battles of the Cottonbalers, you'll find many situations where support assets are handed out in illogical ways, are entirely ineffective or end up shooting American troops.

This is the command level where you take what you get, not pick what you take.
Computer Wargaming / Re: Burden of Command Announced
« Last post by AndyBrown on Yesterday at 09:11:47 PM »
... I want to get as close to 'wearing their boots' as possible ...

I guess my point is that if you want to do that, you should probably debrief some former company and battalion-level commanders and staffers to develop realistic options for the situations you want to recreate.  Witholding assets from a current mission to "punish" a junior leader for previous mission failure was not doctrine in most WW2 armies and certainly isn't doctrine in modern militaries of any competence.

Andy
Computer Wargaming / Re: FRIDAY's a Battlefield
« Last post by Kushan on Yesterday at 09:00:34 PM »
I ended up playing couple of things that were not even on my radar; World of Warplanes and Fields of Glory 2. I never had the privileged of playing World of Warplanes before, but I heard it was bad, but patch 2.0 got released last week and it completely reworks most of the game. For an arcade flying sim I don't think its bad, its no Falcon 4.0 but its not trying to be, but I lost a good part of Saturday to it.

I had a friend gift me Fields of Glory 2. Only had a chance to play 2 games so far. I lost my first battle, which was the tutorial. My 2nd battle was a quick battle, me as the Romans vs a Spaniard army. Went pretty well. I lost a few units, mainly because they were fairly isolated on my left flank, but once I broke the AIs left flank I was able to roll them up the AI line quickly.
Computer Wargaming / Re: John Tiller CS question
« Last post by acctingman on Yesterday at 08:02:41 PM »
So, it's not the random battle I want....I want to create my own scenarios to have specific units in a battle.

Enjoying the game so far. If this was graphically up to date it would be dreamy  :dreamer:
Computer Wargaming / Re: Cuphead?
« Last post by Moreb on Yesterday at 05:55:33 PM »
I absolutely love the look of Cuphead. Will I get it? Possibly, if only for a conversation piece and to support another developer with the guts to think outside the box.
Computer Wargaming / Re: John Tiller CS question
« Last post by Warhorse on Yesterday at 05:14:26 PM »
Once you get used to it a little, try PBEM!! Also, there are a Korean War and WW1 Mods done by myself and others, as well as a Cold War Mod. They are actually all self-contained games, but get used to the standard game first! The others are available at the Blitz, up in the mods area.
Computer Wargaming / Re: Strategic Command WW2: New Updates and 25% Off Sale
« Last post by mirth on Yesterday at 12:21:38 PM »
I'm sure I'll have it by the weekend :P
There's also a sale on that lasts until this Sunday the 22nd so if you haven't already taken the plunge, now might be the time!   :)

Foul temptress!

You know you want it, mirth.  :)
Computer Wargaming / Re: Strategic Command WW2: New Updates and 25% Off Sale
« Last post by mirth on Yesterday at 10:16:04 AM »
There's also a sale on that lasts until this Sunday the 22nd so if you haven't already taken the plunge, now might be the time!   :)

Foul temptress!
Computer Wargaming / Strategic Command WW2: New Updates and 25% Off Sale
« Last post by Bill101 on Yesterday at 10:07:37 AM »
Hi everyone

Our latest update has been released today and it includes new features including extra penalties for low supply units, causing them to suffer desertions in certain circumstances. Thus making out of supply forces easier to destroy.

If you haven't played it in a while then it might be worth updating just to see how this and everything else we've introduced has made the game a whole lot better.

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/2385/Strategic.Command.Gewehr.Update!

Bill
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10