Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Staff Support Forum / Re: Changelog - picture heavy
« Last post by Andy ONeill on Today at 10:04:06 AM »
Map Editor

Map saving - applying contour elevation.
This is kind of tricky because a contour can be under some other terrain object and you still need it's effect.  If I'd included contours in the hittesting for every single px that would not be able to stop at the top object hit, it'd need to get any and all objects under that point. That would have slowed down something which is already pretty slow.
The approach I took converts each contour to a new geometry which can then be processed on a background thread whilst the hit testing takes place.
Not only is this on a separate thread so it can be done at the same time as hit testing, it's inherently faster.
The reason I use hit testing at all is because it's the simplest way to work out what is the topmost terrain.
I could impose an explicit z-order and do everything that way. That's a possibility for a later refactor.

Note that contours are all one level. They're like those weird warhammer hills where someone just cuts an oval out of polystyrene and the top is horizontal, the slope vertical.
OK for a casual game where you want to dash off a quick map.
You will want one or more of the alternatives for anything more sophisticated.
The choice will be either or. You use contours or you use the alternative options.
I'll explain these at a later stage.

« Last post by Andy ONeill on Yesterday at 09:16:23 AM »
Map Editor

Started on save map process.

First part of this to do is to work out what terrain type is where in terms the game understands. There's a cell per px in a 2 dimensional array 1155 x 805.
To do that I need to hit test a point for each of these.
That's a lot of points.
Since hit testing is fairly slow, this takes a while.

I started with a proof of concept doing one point where I click. That meant a bit of jury rigging since clicking usually does other things but enabled me to prove what I was getting for a point was what I expected.
As it turns out there was a bit of a complication.
The piece of framework I'm using is bugged and stuff that shouldn't be returned from a hit test was.
I worked out how to filter these out and got the proof of concept to work.
Refactored that into something more re-usable.
I can now fill a 2d array.
This takes some time - around a minute whilst in debug mode.
Should be faster in an optimised compilation release but you're never really going to want to sit there watching it work.

I think I'll do a separate game map and design map save so you can save the design faster and then do the game save once you're totally happy with your master piece.

« Last post by Andy ONeill on April 20, 2018, 04:31:57 AM »
Thanks, I appreciate that.

Like Ezra says, watching software development is usually on a par with watching paint dry.
Hopefully this is slightly more interesting but it's a slow process.
Quality takes time.

« Last post by union square on April 19, 2018, 12:22:02 PM »
Thanks for the Changelog, Andy.  It continues to be fascinating stuff for those of us interested in the project!
« Last post by Andy ONeill on April 19, 2018, 04:32:58 AM »
New Map Format

This is now firmed up and the converter produces a new format zip file.
Scenario editor now shows places.
The converter is stable.
Stable enough for one map at a time internal use, anyhow.

The map editor is not yet saving state at all, so that's probably next up.
I'll get this end to end working before returning to mere details like rotating houses and different options for terrain and...
There's still a fair bit of work to do on the map editor.

« Last post by Andy ONeill on April 18, 2018, 10:10:26 AM »
Map Converter and Scenario Editor

For various reasons, we need a new format for the map data.
That meant that the old maps we have already would of course be incompatible.
I've put together a utility which converts these.
The new format will come as two zip files. There will be:
  • mapname.Zip file ( mapname is variable ).
    This contains the data and png you need to play a game using the map.
  • mapname.designer.Zip
    This contains the design data for map editing purposes - and will not be required to play the game using the map.
    I've not started on this part yet.

From the user's perspective you get one or two zip files rather than several per map.

I have the first cut of the utility working.
The scenario editor now uses the new format and loads the data OK.
Still some work to do on that as I've not yet done some things like place names and the px to metres scale. 

The utility is just for our internal use and the ui is what you might call minimalist.
« Last post by Andy ONeill on April 17, 2018, 10:11:30 AM »
Map Editor

First iteration of Building. 
I've gone with terracotta tiling because it looks nice and bright, it's appropriate to most of Europe and it's not the same colour as units.
No buildings will have little arrows on them so even if the viewer is colour blind it should be pretty clear a building is not a unit.
Red vs orange colour blindness is also pretty rare.

Functionality still outstanding includes:
Rotate ( a bit ) *
Resize
Add a number of alternative styles to pick from.

Like all the other visuals, this is built using vectors and will scale.  Should you want to print a huge version of the map (once I write something allows you to export to pdf ) you will get a high quality picture.  I've not made the shadow and outline of shapes scale yet but at a larger size, that looks like:

I'm thinking of doing some building parts as sort of components. You add a basic kind of cross shaped church then you pick a spire or dome and stick that on top.
This is one of those things I could pretty much spend forever on and still come up with new options styles and things to do. 

Rotation will probably have to be rather limited because these aren't going to be lightsourced 3d meshes. 
Certainly as it stands, the gradients aren't going to change as you rotate. I can rotate the shadow so they point in the same direction, but if you rotate a house 90 degrees it'll look like it has a lightsource in a different direction to everything else. You'll get away with 20 odd degrees but anything more than that would mean a different building option.
« Last post by Andy ONeill on April 16, 2018, 10:15:05 AM »
Map Editor

Another iteration on Place.
You can now have multiple line place names.
VP are limited to 0-100
You can't type anything but numbers in the vp box.
There's a combobox allows you to pick which side initially "owns" a place that's worth points.
You just get the text (no plaque) if a place is worth zero points.

« Last post by Andy ONeill on April 16, 2018, 04:46:43 AM »
Map Editor

Added first iteration of Place.

In order to do this I've moved a bunch of things round such as the view for places which is now in a common library.
I also resolved a number of issues to implement just clicking to add a point differently from everything else with it's Ink support.

I'm still considering whether to allow multi line names for places and a combo box for the points value. At the moment if you typed a number I've not set a geometry up for, you get nothing in the plaque. I will probably just set up paths for 0-9, force only numeric input and leave it up to the user if they feel 99 is really a sensible VP for a place.
I still have to allow the user to pick which side the place is currently associated with.

In the picture, you will notice that the "marching ants" rather mysteriously continues some distance below the plaque rather than just under it. By default, you get the place name above a plaque. If you position a place close to the top of the  map then of course there is no space for the name above, so it appears below instead.  There are two of the labels in the control. I hide the bottom or top one depending on position. The control positions itself so the centre of the plaque is where you click. In order to do that reasonably easily I divide the width and height by 2 as part of the position calculation. Hence there are always the two labels there in the control, it's just one is hidden but still contributing it's height to the calculation.

For this one, "Top Place", I've clicked close to the top of the map. The label you see is the one below the plaque and hence those ants are marching off the top of the board. 
« Last post by Andy ONeill on April 13, 2018, 05:51:04 AM »
Map Editor

Added Ford.
Since bridges are way better than a ford (in the real world) they count as mud for speed of travel and whether they block some unit types.

In the above picture I've drawn sort of along the river and back in order to show you can do an irregular shape if you want.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10