Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Computer Wargaming / Re: The Groginati Sales Thread
« Last post by Gusington on Today at 04:09:39 PM »
Batman Arkham Origins on sale at Steam for 5 dollah. Should I get it?
The list includes dates for Star Wars IX, a new Indiana Jones Movie, Frozen 2, a live action version of The Lion King, and several others. 

https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2017/04/25/release-dates-for-frozen-2-star-wars-episode-ix-the-lion-king-and-more-have-been-announced/?cmp=emc|omd|natural|disney-omd|2017-04-25|omd|hero
Books & Reading / Re: What are we reading?
« Last post by Gusington on Today at 04:05:00 PM »
I read The Years of Rice and Salt a long time ago...I enjoyed it. Long book by page count but it goes by quickly.
Computer Wargaming / Re: Mass Effect Andromeda
« Last post by Gusington on Today at 04:03:43 PM »
OK so we're good.
Digital Gaming AARs / Re: War in the East - Road to Smolensk -
« Last post by Con on Today at 04:03:01 PM »
The Plan (or how I learned to implement Fuhrer Directive 21)

Encirclement Plan for the Salient
In the image below you can see roughly where I want to use the 3rd Panzer group in Green in the northern part of the salient and the 2nd Panzer group in light blue in the southern part as my forces to achieve the encirclement.  Easier said than done and I need to be aware of ZOC and that I need to convert all the hexes along the encirclement boundary.

Turn 1 Northern Strategy
Beware when units Withdraw

In the North the 18th army group (in Purple) will attack across their assigned front and knock out the Soviet front line.  They will then proceed north and then east trying to convert as much occupied territory as they go. The 4th Panzer group Infantry units will attack along their assigned front to allow the 4th Panzer Group armor units to sweep east and try and clear territory to the Divna river.  If at all possible these armor units will try and get units across the river to establish a bridgehead across the Divna.  The 4th Panzer group will be withdrawing after turn 1 so I want to push them as far as they can go.

The 16th army group is tasked with taking Kanus and Vilnius.  These are railway hubs and crucial that they fall on turn 1. This will prevent Russian units from using the railways here for transport.  To help support them infantry from XXII Corps reporting to the 9th Army group will help with attacks on the cities.

Turn 1 Center Strategy

For the center the plan is to use the infantry divisions from V and VI corps to smash the soviet front line and then advance towards Vilnius.  With the Soviet front open the armor from 3rd panzer group is now able to enter Russian territory with little impediment.  The panzer corps will be split with LVII panzer corps driving towards the east and attempting to either take Daugavapils or establish a bridghead across the Dvina river.

Panzer Corps XXIX will attack towards the village of Molodechno just north of Minsk.  The corps will then head south with the different divisions forming an encirclement of the Soviet front and linking up with 2nd Panzer group who are attacking from the south.

9th Army group will consolidate in place apart from VII Corps which will move to seal the northern part of the encircled soviets.  I am saving the 9th army to force isolated and cut off Soviet units to surrender.

A note on stacking buildup and breakdown

A mechanic of the game is that only three units regardless of size can be in a hex at any one time.  This forces the player to plan to not create any artificial chokeholds by overstacking hexes preventing units to move through them.  Divisions can also be broken down into three separate units (think of them as essentially Brigades).  These brigades only exert a ZOC of only the current hex that they are in compared to a divisions exerting a ZOC on the surrounding hexes as well.  Why would you breakdown units?  This is a critical tactic to prevent the Soviet AI from slipping a unit past your divisions and breaking your encirclement.

The 9th  army group has two divisions that start the scenario broken down into three additional units.  In the image below they are identified by the red or white circles.  You can identify them by their lower combat values, the sister units are outlined in blue and that their name has a number/division name.  The number shows which brigade it is.  In the example below we have 2/87th Infantry Division (the other sister units would be 1/87th Infantry Division and 3/87th Infantry Division) .  I like to rebuild them back to a whole divisions which means moving all three units to the same hex and then using the shift key with the buildup/breakdown button.

Turn 1 Southern Strategy

In the South I need to do a little reorganization.  I want all my panzer units to be only mechanized but each one of the panzer army groups has an infantry division attached to them.  These non mechanized units will only be a drag on my supplies and ability to move far and  fast.  I want to detach these infantry divisions and reattach then to infantry only HQs.
I detach the 167th Inf Div from XXXVII Panzer Corps and reattach it to XII corps.  I do the same with the 267 Inf Div under XXIV Panzer Corps. 

In the south the key is to take Brest Litovsk as fast as possible with the XII Corp infantry.  Since the Soviets are fortified in an urban city hex winkling them out wont be pretty.  I will need to supply the XII Corps Infantry divisions with many additional support units.  I need to avoid the Pripyat marshes in the SouthEast at all costs.  Its movement costs are unreal and infantry divisions get all sorts of defensive bonuses in them.

Once Brest Litovsk has fallen I can push Panzer Group 2 through the gap and NE along the railway until they reach town of Baranovichi.  There or just slightly north of this town the 2nd panzer army should link up with XXIX Panzer Corps.

4th Army infantry divisions consolidate and grind against the soviet front in their assigned sector. However little combat and movement  apart from XXXIII corps which moves forward to seal the southern portion of the Soviet salient and prevent any Russian units from marching towards Brest Litovsk and threatening my railhead.  The reason is I want to isolate the Soviet units and then when they are cut off and surrounded use the 4th Army to annihilate them on the next turn.

Turn 1 support and reserve units (Security Divisions and Partisans)

Certain units are support and reserve units.  The 2nd Army Group is frozen (ie not able to move for 2 turns).  I will send them to the provide security and protect the flank of the northern railway spur.

The orange units are security units.  These are used to help suppress partisan activity.  Partisan are sort of like playing whack a mole.  They pop up at the worst time and cut railway lines and generally throw a giant monkey wrench in your plans.  One of the ways to help reduce partisans is to put troops in cities (essentially as garrison troops).  This only works for units with Combat Values (so HQ and support units dont count).

Partisans are generated from cities with populations and certain soviet units if they get shattered during combat.  Partisans stay inactive until they reach combat readiness (based on the number of partisans they have recruited their supply state and morale).  Once active they can cut rail lines etc.  To prevent urban recruitment the German player has to garrison troops in the cities.  The higher the population the more partisan squads it generates unless it is garrisoned.  Everything is scaled so once you meet the minimum garrison requirements all partisan recruitment is halted otherwise its all based on the ratio manpower to the un-met garrison requirement. 

The requirements are 4K men for city/towns, 8K for light urban and 12K for heavy urban like Minsk.

Security division troops count as double to the garrison total.  A trick is to breakdown you security divisions into three units so you can spread them around (but be careful of stacking limitations each unit regardless of size counts as a unit for stacking)  The cities you really need to garrison are Minsk/Smolensk/Vilnius in that order.

High level Strategy Summary for Turn 1

Next we finally get to see some combat!  (it will probably take some time for me to write it up since this is taking a lot longer than I anticipated)  ;)
General Discussion / Re: One for Metal Dog
« Last post by Windigo on Today at 02:58:22 PM »
The following error or errors occurred while posting this message: The message body was left empty.
Computer Wargaming / Kova Kickstarter?
« Last post by spelk on Today at 02:50:25 PM »
Anyone up for some of this Kickstarter?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackhive/kova-side-scrolling-action-rpg

I seem to have spotted it way too late, looks like they're probably not going to make it :(

Damn me, for not seeing it sooner and not being a millionaire to pipe all my money in to it.
Current Events / Re: Why US Education is in Trouble.
« Last post by jamus34 on Today at 02:48:50 PM »
Was it FOR right with your left hand or WHAT you were writing with it?  ^-^

I believe smearing poo on a sheet of paper is an applicable reason to apply the ruler across the knuckles...

That said the wife is a teacher and the shit she tells me about what is being dictated that the teachers do nowadays is ridiculous. I mean the job itself now should read as part time nanny, part time politician part time public reader. Because with all the bullshit that is forced there way there is no time to actually reach the kids.
Computer Wargaming / Re: Battlefleet Gothic
« Last post by mirth on Today at 02:44:36 PM »
The turn-based game is pretty dammed cool. Been trying it on my phone. Probably going to put it on the kids' tablet.
Books & Reading / Re: What are we reading?
« Last post by jamus34 on Today at 02:41:49 PM »
Snow Crash right now.

I also have The Years of Rice and Salt on deck.

Anxiously awaiting the release of Stormlight book 3
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10