Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: RIP our own Richie61
« Last post by Cyrano on Today at 07:56:00 PM »
Amidst the KS and everything else, I'll play a quick scenario with his SB top-down mod...

He clearly was looking to the future when he worked as hard as he did to get them out as fast as he could.

Eternal Rest Grant Him, Oh Lord, and Let Perpetual Light Shine Upon Him.

Computer Wargaming / Re: DCS Discussion
« Last post by Jarhead0331 on Today at 07:49:58 PM »
The map is gorgeous. Sets a new bar...some people will always find something to be mad about.
« Last post by RyanE on Today at 07:49:34 PM »
I haven't been following...how much more map were we expecting?

(I'm tempted to go log onto SimHQ just to see the "righteous" fury).   :)

Fixed that for you.
« Last post by Toonces on Today at 07:45:36 PM »
I haven't been following...how much more map were we expecting?

(I'm tempted to go log onto SimHQ just to see the fury).   :)
Computer Wargaming / Re: Working My Way Back To F R I D A Y
« Last post by Toonces on Today at 07:44:23 PM »
I didn't do any gaming, but I do know that that Attila Mercia campaign has kicked my ass a few times in the past.
Computer Wargaming / Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Discussion
« Last post by Toonces on Today at 07:24:12 PM »
Me too.  I hear that frequently, "Sim X is more realistic!"  Realistic at simulating what?  It makes a difference.

A very brief war story:  When I flew P-3s, we had two different simulators we would use.  One was a full mock up of a P-3 cockpit, with full motion and everything else.  But the graphics were like playing MS Flight Simulator from about 1995...and it only had night...and only part of the world simulated.  I remember flying it one day on a pilot trainer, taking off out of Kaneohe and flying an approach into HNL....only to find that HNL, the biggest airport in the islands, simply wasn't there.  It wasn't in the database.  Realistic?  But the systems, the weather modeling, turbulence, physical sensations on the controls...all very much just like the real airplane.

The second simulator was the tube part of the simulator where all of the crew stations were simulated.  Theoretically you could like the cockpit with the tube (they were in different parts of the building) and fly a full ASW mission.  At night.  With virtually no graphics.  But, usually for an ASW trainer, the crew would go into their part and the pilots would sit at a console with little paddle wheels like an old Atari controller, and some instruments for speed, altimeter, artificial horizon, etc.  And we be sitting there in our desk chairs with no representation of the outside world at all, in the air conditioning, just dialing the little paddle to bank the plane, or setting airspeed and altitude on the autopilot input.  It provided the pilots with the geometry and timing problem of hunting a sub, and provided the same problems to the TACCO in back, but was it a realistic simulator? 

Well...realistic at what?  At hunting a sub with a full crew?  Or realistic at flying a P-3?

Computer Wargaming / Re: Working My Way Back To F R I D A Y
« Last post by Vintage Dude on Today at 07:20:21 PM »
Spent some time today with TW:Rome2 with the new update. Friday and Saturday took up with my son's wedding.
« Last post by RyanE on Today at 07:09:06 PM »
Thanks for that.  I wasn't looking for a definitive answer.  I just saw some comments about one sim being more realistic than another.  I was curious what answers I would get.  I got a couple good answers about why people feel the way they do.

I just  find it interesting that people have a hard time defining why they think one sim is more realistic than another.
Music, TV, Movies / Re: Glass
« Last post by bbmike on Today at 07:06:29 PM »
Just watched Split. Wasn't nearly as good as Unbreakable. I do want to see Glass now.
« Last post by Toonces on Today at 07:02:27 PM »
I can't believe I found this...the internet is an amazing thing.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3496831/a-discussion-on-the-future-of-yap-and-flt-sims#Post3496831

It's a worthwhile post to read through.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10