Main Menu

Recent posts

Computer Gaming / Re: I'm looking for a single p...
Last post by ArizonaTank - Today at 10:23:18 PM
Windward is a low cost possibility.

Also, the old Sid Meir's Pirates still holds its own.
Current Events / Re: The Houthi Thing
Last post by Uberhaus - Today at 10:19:13 PM
Quote from: Gusington on Today at 07:50:20 PM^Wow, that last sentence really resonates. Luckily the Houthis can fire but are still quite ineffective. Hoping they are slow learners.
They may have had a lot of help but they have competent engineers and unfortunately a lot of technical know how.   Going back a few years https://gwynnedyer.com/2018/yemeni-missiles-ssdd/
QuoteJane's Information Group Ltd, established in 1898, is the world's leading independent provider of intelligence and analysis on defense matters. Here is what Jeremy Binnie, Middle East/Africa Editor of Jane's Defence Weekly, said about Yemen's rockets in 2017 in Jane's Intelligence Review.

"The Burkan-2 appears to use a new type of warhead section that is locally fabricated. Both Iran and North Korea have displayed Scud derivatives with shuttlecock-shaped warheads, but none of these match the Yemeni version. The range of the Burkan missiles also appears to have been extended by a reduction in the weight of their warheads."

I think Dr. Dyer has come around to accepting that presently Iran is supplying the Houthis, but he is arguing against that in this older article and questioning the US administrations motives in saying that they were.
Computer Gaming / Re: Floating up the Hudson
Last post by Gusington - Today at 07:54:09 PM
Up here in semi-rural NY there is a lot of interesting airplane traffic from Stewart AFB as well as helicopter traffic from West Point and even Camp Smith, mostly over the Hudson as well. I can see a big swathe of the river from my office window. Always a great view, no matter the time of year.

In colder winters there is Coast Guard ice breaker traffic as well, but not since 2021 I don't think.
Current Events / Re: The Houthi Thing
Last post by Gusington - Today at 07:50:20 PM
^Wow, that last sentence really resonates. Luckily the Houthis can fire but are still quite ineffective. Hoping they are slow learners.
Current Events / Re: RUSI article on Attritiona...
Last post by GDS_Starfury - Today at 07:24:20 PM
while not a bad article is does seem to limit itself with how the Ukraine/russian war is going as it sticks almost solely with ground combat.  its a good read for nation states with basic air forces and navies.
Last post by GDS_Starfury - Today at 07:05:23 PM
I take particular issue with this line:

QuoteHowever, as a war progresses past a one-year mark, front-line units will gain experience and an improved NCO corps is likely to emerge, giving the Soviet model greater flexibility.

why wouldn't a NATO or US military gain the same experience?  isn't this pretty much exactly what happened in WW2, Korea and Vietnam?  just because some poor shmucks get hazed and raped in a russian conscript garrison doesn't mean they'll adapt quicker or better and a long term war.  Ukraine is proving that.
Last post by GDS_Starfury - Today at 06:49:12 PM
last I checked our military's doctrine is to avoid it.
the actual war part, not speaking of the occupation part.  :peace:
Last post by maor7583 - Today at 06:33:45 PM
I need more recommendations for game names like high seas trader please.........
Last post by Jarhead0331 - Today at 06:18:17 PM
I don't think you need a degree from the War College to know that the west has no tolerance for and is entirely unprepared for attritional warfare. It's a weakness of all democracies and one that our enemies are keen to exploit.
Last post by bobarossa - Today at 05:35:07 PM
Quote from: Phantom on Today at 02:03:56 PMI always enjoyed Age of Pirates - City of Abandoned ships (& it had a prequel?) - there were lots of mods for it, giving lots of vessels & characters you could even play Lucky Jack Aubrey.
How about the Dread Pirate Roberts? 
I second the Patrician games.