AGEOD English Civil War

Started by jomni, February 15, 2017, 04:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Right. They were all sitting-down. Except for the ones laying down.  ;D   Typical English.  I'm very interested in hearing Grog-opinions on this one.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Ian C

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 13, 2017, 08:20:43 AM
Quote from: Ian C on May 13, 2017, 04:23:43 AM
Bought. First few turns fly past. Smaller map than other AGEOD games. Maybe this is the perfect scale for this engine. Not unit-heavy so far but we'll see in later turns.

Lower unit count in the beginning would make since since, at the outbreak of the war, England had no standing army.

You are correct, there is none. I was referring to the background tasks and AI calculations the game engine makes between turns.

Tpek

I've decided that since I've got enough games right now, I'll reconsider it at a later day.

And since today I received my 6th year anniversary coupon from Matrix/Slitherine, which is only valid for 30 days...

Any good old grog here wants a free 35% off coupon for the Slitherine/Matrix store? :)
(First come first serve)

mikeck

Quote from: Tpek on May 13, 2017, 07:55:54 AM
I'm really on the fence for this one.
On one hand, the ECW is an interesting and highly underused setting.
On the other, I never had much luck with AGEOD's games.

I think this is the new "BOA 2 wars in America"...meaning the game for those who haven't played AGEODgames. Very few units for the first dozen turns, simple supply a la' "Thirty years war" and a somewhat familiar map.
Hard to say how well I like it since I'm only on the first ten turns or so. Few decisions and recruiting options.

AGEOD has really found themselves again recently. With "Thirty years war", "Wars of Secession" and "English Civil war" they have put the engine in conflicts it does well and gotten rid of a lot of complexities that served only to stress the engine.

You guys are going to love "Wars of Secession" (Great Northern war and the War of te Spanish Secession)
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

IronX

I'm looking forward to it (WoS). Is it due out soon?

mikeck

Quote from: IronX on May 13, 2017, 01:16:53 PM
I'm looking forward to it (WoS). Is it due out soon?

Hard to say. We haven't had a new beta version in some time...maybe busy with this game. Who knows. Frankly, I think WoS is quite playable and enjoyable now but is still being refined.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

MiguelHQ

Hi. I just want to say hello and thanks for your support.
I hope you will enjoy ECW. I will try to be around here to answer any question or whatever.

Philippe

Nice to see a visit from the game's designer!
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

MetalDog

Absolutely!  Hope you do find that time, Miguel!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Tpek

Is there a Hotseat option in the game?

Philippe

If my fading memory is still working correctly, Ageod games don't have an explicit hotseat function, but it's there implicitly because every time you save you're saving a separate file for each side, and if you go into Load and click on a save from the other side, you can start playing as that side.

But experiencing the feel of what's happening in an Ageod campaign with relatively few pieces is very dependent on not knowing exactly what your opponent is planning or thinking.  So unless you're in the habit of writing three sets of general instructions and rolling a die to select one, you'll always know too much about what's going on in your opponents head.

I suppose you could always role play that neither side can keep a secret (which would probably happen in a civil war of this kind with everyone speaking the same language), but you'll have a hard time ambushing yourself unless your memory is as bad as mine.

I remember a board game about the Peloponnesian war where you played solitaire against a system which dictated your general strategy and all of your opponent's actions. Whenever you would start beating your opponent badly, the game would make you switch sides.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

CJReich46

Quote from: Philippe on May 15, 2017, 02:53:06 PM
I remember a board game about the Peloponnesian war where you played solitaire against a system which dictated your general strategy and all of your opponent's actions. Whenever you would start beating your opponent badly, the game would make you switch sides.

That was Mark Herman's Peloponnesian War From Victory Games. *Sigh* I missed that one. However there is a remake of sorts called Pericles.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

solops

How is combat handled/portrayed? I have 5 AGEOD games, but I have never been able to like any of them.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

jomni

Quote from: solops on May 16, 2017, 06:53:22 PM
How is combat handled/portrayed? I have 5 AGEOD games, but I have never been able to like any of them.

More of the same I guess

MiguelHQ

Its exactly as in TYW, very similar to CWII, AJE,...
there are videos where you can see from the UI point of view.

The complexity of the Ageod combat system is long to explain, sometimes even the veterans dont understand it (me included)  :tickedoff:

Basically your army will prevail if your leader is a good leader for his stack, your army is well suplied and rested, you have more guns, better troop quality, attack or defensive posture,..