Jarhead - Do you have war of rights?

Started by Destraex, December 02, 2017, 09:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

I want to know particularly what stage it is at. Whether it's worth waiting longer before pulling the trigger.
Am interested in having a look. But it is very expensive for early access. Seems to have been in development for many years.
Is it another star citizen? i.e. a long development cycle. I don't want to get involved if the game is still years away.
https://warofrights.com/
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Nah, man. I wrote this one off when I saw it is MP only. I really haven't looked too deeply into it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

I did a search and this was the first post that came up. Can it really be that nothing has been posted about this since 2017?

It's on steam of course rather than the original link I posted in 2017.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/424030/War_of_Rights/

I have been really enjoying this game over the last few days. Up to 400 people in a server and I am told during peak they do get some pretty good numbers. I want to see an event with a full server as this game is spectacular. When I have been playing their have only been 20-50 people on a public server. I do hear though that a lot of the community do closed server events. They seem desperate for players just like Holdfast was though. The problem with events though is that if you are international they really never work out to be convienient.

Now you ask why I have been enjoying the game? Because unlike Holdfast: Nations at War, it has a mechanic that allows you to spawn on the standard bearer as long as their is an officer around to ratify the deal. So even if the formation is moving around you can keep filling your ranks. Holdfast really missed a trick on this one, although Holdfast did attract a larger albeit less mature imho crowd.
In addition to being able to spawn on the flag to stop the game becoming walking simulator 2022, if you are "out of line", "skirmishing a little from the line" or "in line", when you die you get different morale penalties for your side. Stay in line and their are no penalties, skirmish even a few meters from the line and it's 40% and out of line is an 80% penalty. One side wins when the other side eventually is considered to break.

The reload sequence is a joy to watch and even includes priming the pan. It takes a helluva long time to reload but pressing and holding ALT to move your head around during this animation helps make sure you don't die in place. R cancels reload. I die the most while reloading.

There are lots of other cool little touches like suppression and movement types, shoulder weapon, quick time, all out sprint which basically makes you puff and huff so much you cannot shoot.

I cannot quite figure it out yet but I think on the CSA side something triggers a Rebel Yell? I imagine the Union side has something similar if more reserved which I probably have not noticed.

The levels\maps all seem to have video back stories and comprehensive contexts.

Cannon are now in game and Cavalry are supposed to eventually be coming. In addition can you believe the developers are Danish... what the hell? The game is still in early access after all these years but eminently playable.

War of Rights is so simulator like compared to Holdfast as well. The game is spectacular looking and has some amazing mechanics. I kinda just love standing around and loading my weapon and bayonet and generally firing at nothing in particular that I can hit.

A major patch with some new features like destructible terrain has just been dropped, so I guess War of Rights is still actively being worked on.

Sometimes I am just in the mood to follow a bunch of guys around and do what the CO tells me.

I'd prefer a Napoleonic game exactly like this, but the ACW will do me.

Jarhead0331

Negative. I've come close to buying it on sale several times, but it is multiplayer only, and well, you know how I feel about that.

It looks great though. I heard they were working on other time periods and wars.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Holy crap. Other time periods. Colour me amazingly interested. Where did you hear that. Source? I'd love to read about that.
I actually had no idea you were so adverse to multiplayer games, I guess you mean multiplayer "only" more specifically.
The evidence of course is staring me in the face in the second post in this thread though... I must have just forgotten and a lot of games you play have both.

Jarhead0331

I may be confusing the news of different wars and theaters with Battle Cry of Freedom.

...and yes, I have nothing against multiplayer, per se, but I don't like games that offer no single player experience.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

ArizonaTank

I have had the game for a while, and generally I like it. But I haven't played recently; just too busy with other games. Also, there is Battle Cry of Freedom that is some very good competition.

During my time on, I found the MP community to be mature, and mostly interested in the game as simulation. I did not see the juvenile antics you can see with other games.

I also liked the mechanic that encouraged players to stay in formation.

The only real issue I have with the game is that I never saw enough players on to really simulate anything more than small skirmishes. I think the game would benefit tremendously from bots.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

I would buy this yesterday if there was even a whiff of a single player campaign.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Skoop

I agree with you guys here in that it's sad these historical games only do multiplayer.  It's a missed opportunity for the devs.  I will add that I own and have played both these titles.  War of Rights seems more realistic and aims to be more of a sim for virtual unit roleplay.  Battle Cry Freedom seems more game than sim, it's built off the bannerlord engine and has bots to flesh out units in line battles.  With each player commanding 30 to 50 bots, battles look a lot more realistic. Also, with use of the bannerlord engine, seems the devs would have the means to add SP content of bannerlord just adapted for civil war......no plans for them to do this though. You can purchase Battle Cry Freedom pretty cheap on steam, and I'd imagine both games will be discounted for Christmas sale.

There's also Holdfast, the Napoleonic version of these games that also recently added bots for line battles and has content for WWI.

Gusington

^Do you have Holdfast? If so do the bots make the game interesting enough to warrant buying for single player?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

^I've experimented with Hold Fast and the bots and it is pretty cool.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

I actually think that with these sort of games AI bots of which you would just be one of kind of spoil the fun. I mean why not just play a top down RTS if you want to stand in line with bots? I could though understand a human side VS a bot side... coop in other words. But not mixed human and bots vs mixed humans and bots.
Why? Because humans act very differently to AI in first person games and the whole experience of humans getting in line rather than robots (ai) marching around like perfectly sychronised Prussians is more interesting to me.

As for Holdfast. I like that game but the lack of proper flag mechanics just let it down badly.

As for the mount and blade warband engine game. I cannot imagine that being as good quality as war of rights.

Add to that that a friend of mine actually played during prime time today and did get hundreds of players on a server. He did not screen cap the numbers unfortunately but War of Rights still seems to be popular. It's certainly more surreal than the competition by a country mile.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

There was an old game called Darkest of Days that involved time travel in which the player engaged in combat in a lot of unique times and eras. One of them was the Civil War and I distinctly remember the battles feeling inherently authentic. I recall feeling like it was one of the best representations of Civil War era combat that I had seen in a game up until that time. It was, of course, single player and campaign based.

i think it is still available on Steam. Wonder how it has held up over time.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog