New 40K Rules - June 30th

Started by DV8, June 25, 2012, 07:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DV8

I don't know if we have a many 40K players on the forum, but I can tell you I'm very excited about the new rules.  The game needs more balance and I hope the new rules deliver some.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/456706.page

"There is no corner of the galaxy that has not felt the eagle-keen gaze of Alaitoc."
"Most of my cliches aren't original." - Chuck Knox

undercovergeek

wow - i havent owned the book since the days of the crimson fists and the first rogue trader book - out of curiousity, what was unbalanced?

DV8

One of the big problems with the game right now is each new codex (army book) brought in it's own special rules that basically nerfed the older codices.  Also some codices were written in a prior addition rule set so they became significantly less playable when the current rules were introduced.  Spamming is also a huge problem in the game.  Examples of these are IG parking lot, Space Wolves Long Fang/Razorback spam and Dreggo Grey Knight Paladin spam.

I have not read the new rule book yet, but from what I've gleaned from the rumors it might make some of the lesser armies more playable.

GroggyGrognard

From what I've read, the rules for the Eldar in 6th edition are getting a boost ...
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

DV8

Quote from: GroggyGrognard on June 26, 2012, 12:11:12 PM
From what I've read, the rules for the Eldar in 6th edition are getting a boost ...

I play Eldar and CSM so I'm looking for any help I can get.   ;D

Ubercat

New armies have nerfed old armies since at least the mid 90's. That's GW's business model as it's what keeps people buying new forces on a regular basis. The OP gave me deja vu as I remember hearing the exact same complaints back when I was new in the hobby and GW games were all that I knew.

I don't want to bash them too hard, though. GW does have outstanding customer service.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

LongBlade

June 30th has come and gone. Opinions ?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

DV8

I've read through the rules once and have played one game thus far.  My first impression is what a significant improvement.  They best way to describe the new rules would be take the best from Warhammer Fantasy and combine with with the best from 40K.  Shooting is much more powerful so this helps armies that were struggling in the 5th edition assault driven rule set.  Multi-charge and power weapons get nerfed some which is good for the game.  The allies rules are going to rock.  Rapid fire weapons are improved and most weapons get over-watch.  Jump packs and jets and much better know.  FNP is know 5+ but can be used when you fail a power weapon wound.  Skimmers and flyers are very cool.

LB - When you get back in town we can get a game in.

LongBlade

Quote from: DV8 on July 03, 2012, 11:25:54 AM

LB - When you get back in town we can get a game in.

Sounds good.

Daughter #1 has expressed some interest in both FoW and D&D so we may be able to several kinds of games in if you're interested.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

DV8

Sounds great.  Just say when.