What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rekim

Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 31, 2017, 11:50:10 AM
Excellent game!!!!   Pricey...but worth the investment. 

One thought, a friend of mine uses the Vassal module to use the automated random chit "cups."  The game has quite of bit of random chit / cup management.  According to him, the vassal module running "in-parallel" with the physical game really helps with the logistics.

I use Vassal for the chit draws too. It would take half a lifetime to complete a game otherwise. There is something like 13 separate draw cups that are used. Even Rain Man would be hard pressed to keep all those cups seeded and sorted correctly over hundreds or thousands of encounters. Check out the Vassal convoy display on my laptop, the counters used in each column are drawn from a different cup. The really tough part is making sure they are all returned to the proper cup when cleaning up. If you screw up there is really no way to detect it until you reseed.

Rekim

Quote from: Crossroads on April 01, 2017, 10:01:15 AM
Wow, that's a busy table you've got there! I see now what you meant by having the VASSAL module available for assistance  :)

It is a huge game. Notice none of the CRT charts, rule books, aides, counter trays are in view. There is a huge amount of game out of frame  :crazy2:

mirth

Pic from last night's game. Northwest Frontier - British Imperials vs Pathans. Rules were Battles for Empire II

This was a playtest for a game that will be run at Huzzah! in May. I'll post a few more pics and impressions after the coffee has fully kicked in.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

mirth

It was a fun game. I hadn't played the rules before and I really liked them.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

Got some painting to do on Conan..

:dreamer:

And the nerdfest continues with learning High Frontier 3rd.

Gave the Basic game a run long enough.  Habit forming!  On to reading Advanced & Solo rules!

bbmike

I've read good things about High Frontier 3rd edition.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

Just finished my first game ever of Conflict of Heroes: Guadalcanal. CoH is an excellent game! The rules are easy to learn and the game components are top notch. My only complaint would be that the map overlay pieces slide around too easily. I might have to find a solution for that.

I played Firefight #2 - Goettge's Retribution. Here's a shot of the initial setup:

And the end of Round 2. It didn't take long for me to get the Marines into trouble.  :-[

The end of Round 3. As you can see, Round 4 didn't last too long.

A Japanese victory. I think I made some mistakes with awarding Bushido points in Round 1 but I don't think that explains the tragic loss for the Marines. This game really makes you think about what to do. Can't wait to play this again! I've also already come to the conclusion that my new gaming table is way too small.  :buck2:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on April 02, 2017, 08:04:05 AM
I've read good things about High Frontier 3rd edition.

I just posted about my introduction to HF3 here:

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=1152.msg512320#msg512320

I'd also planned to leave the new Conan boardgame on my wishlist for awhile longer. 

Was thinking about how I already had numerous "one versus many" skirmish games, not to mention my 'To Do' list of games.  Plus it's not exactly cheap.

But after seeing all the glowing reviews about it's wonderful and relatively quick and action-filled system, I couldn't resist any further.  The artwork, and many of the minis, are also wonderful.  Good for some quick 2-hour heavy action methinks.  :nerd:  8)

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: bbmike on April 02, 2017, 10:57:34 AM
Just finished my first game ever of Conflict of Heroes: Guadalcanal. CoH is an excellent game! The rules are easy to learn and the game components are top notch. My only complaint would be that the map overlay pieces slide around too easily. I might have to find a solution for that.

I played Firefight #2 - Goettge's Retribution. Here's a shot of the initial setup:

And the end of Round 2. It didn't take long for me to get the Marines into trouble.  :-[

The end of Round 3. As you can see, Round 4 didn't last too long.

A Japanese victory. I think I made some mistakes with awarding Bushido points in Round 1 but I don't think that explains the tragic loss for the Marines. This game really makes you think about what to do. Can't wait to play this again! I've also already come to the conclusion that my new gaming table is way too small.  :buck2:

Yeah, it's a great game.  The Bushido point system makes it very thematic.  I notice that you're missing some of the river in your photos.  Did missing that affect your game at all?

I lost this one as the Marines as well but had a blast playing it.  One of the Japanese mortar teams went nuts and charged into hand-to-hand.  I don't know why, but the mental image of little Yoshi clubbing some hapless Jarhead over the noggin with a mortar tube made me laugh.

The third scenario is a lot of fun.  The fact that the Japanese are heavily encouraged to attack in a wave made it a bit of a challenge for my opponent, but in the end he still managed to win by a point.  I misplayed my mortar at the beginning of the scenario (should have used flares instead of HE) and I had some bad luck with my Stuarts at the end.  One bogged down in the creek and got stuck.  The other fell to a close assault.  I had an MG team try to blow the attackers off the turret when they climbed aboard and managed to land a hit but the lucky bugger pulled the final (no damage) chit from the Japanese hit stack.

Bison

Played a couple of games of Star Wars Destiny at a pre-release event today.  It's actually a quick, fun game with mechanics like Dice Masters or Ashes.  I think I may play this casual with the kids, but I hate the CCG model and wish FFG would have gone with some sort LCG model for the game.

bbmike

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 02, 2017, 09:14:23 PM
Yeah, it's a great game.  The Bushido point system makes it very thematic.  I notice that you're missing some of the river in your photos.  Did missing that affect your game at all?

I don't think the missing river changed anything. The Japanese, for the most part, remained in the village and the Marines went to them. So for this scenario the river was just a deep lake.  :P
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

ArizonaTank

Quote from: bbmike on April 02, 2017, 10:57:34 AM

I love the CoH series as well. I don't have Guadalcanal yet, but I have the others.  Your post has definitely gotten me to start looking for a copy.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Silent Disapproval Robot

My copy of the latest Wings of Glory WWII modules arrived yesterday.  Wings of Glory: Battle of Britain.  As a stand-alone, it's decent.  For those who already own a previous base set of the series, it's not worth it.  The rulebook is basically exactly the same as that found in the last two base sets but with an updated aircraft data table to reflect the new BoB era aircraft they added (but I disagree with the stats they've given some of the planes.  Why does a Mk II Spit have a worse climb rate than the Mk IA?)

The biggest disappointment is with the models they've included.  The quality just isn't what is once was.  When Wings of Glory first came out, they used dyed plastics and paint to get to get the colours, camo, and markings correct.  The last two waves of miniatures did away with the dyed plastic and instead opted for slapping a decal over a beige model.  This means that the leading and trailing edges of wings and tail sections aren't covered by the decal and the contrast really stands out.  Even worse is that they used the wrong model for the Spit Mk II (They used a Mk Vc) so there are cannon bulges where there shouldn't be. 

The Hurricanes are the worst of the lot.  The decals they use don't even mesh up so there are gaps between the main body and the tails.  Shame that they've had to cut down on quality so much just to remain profitable.

Here are a few side by side comparisons between the original Wave 1 Hurricane and the newest one.  (My original was a Dutch model but I covered over the Dutch roundels with Brit markings).

acctingman

I so want to play that mini's game, but I'd want every plane that they make and multiples of each. Too pricey for me!

Waiting for the CY6 PC game to come out  :bd: