Steel Division 1944 (by wargame red dragon devs) in game trailer and unit stream

Started by Destraex, March 29, 2017, 07:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stolypin

Quote from: sandman2575 on July 25, 2018, 08:07:52 PM
Quote from: glen55 on July 25, 2018, 10:47:07 AM
The new SP mode with a dynamic campaign and an army to command sounds like just what the dr ordered.

Very much this.

Still not exactly sure why SD'44 never really caught fire -- definitely never seemed to have the fan-base that the Wargame titles had.  It's a superb game. But the lack of dynamic campaign was/is definitely a shortcoming. The sequel sounds like it could really be terrific.

I can't recall precisely why, but after watching a few videos I somehow got it into my head that Steel Division Normandy '44 was not for me and wrote it off early on.  (I've always been a Steel Panthers / Combat Mission / Tiller loyalist).  But I'm starting to think I may have been shortsighted as I have seen many positive comments since SDII was announced.  (The lack of a dynamic campaign is of zero concern to me as I prefer scenarios to campaigns).

JasonPratt

Well, there aren't many "scenarios", other than create your own scenarios.

There are, however, single-player campaigns. (Of scripted scenarios but you can develop and take along your core forces, I think, Panzer General style.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

sandman2575

Quote from: stolypin on July 26, 2018, 09:21:57 AM
I can't recall precisely why, but after watching a few videos I somehow got it into my head that Steel Division Normandy '44 was not for me and wrote it off early on.  (I've always been a Steel Panthers / Combat Mission / Tiller loyalist).  But I'm starting to think I may have been shortsighted as I have seen many positive comments since SDII was announced.  (The lack of a dynamic campaign is of zero concern to me as I prefer scenarios to campaigns).

It seems to go on sale pretty often -- I'd bet you could pick it up for $20 without too much trouble with a little searching and patience.

Anyway, it's a very good game, well worth checking out. I'm not much of a Tiller guy at all myself, but have poured countless hours into Combat Mission. Obviously it's a very different game from CM, but I'm evidence that you can enjoy SD'44 even if Combat Mission is your preferred cup of tea.

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Hofstadter

I think its lack of appeal is the huge learning curve of it. The multiplayer aspect is a big thing and veterans of the series already know how to play the style. So learning it is either watching 50 youtube videos, or getting smashed 100 times.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Jarhead0331

Huge learning curve? Of Steel Division? I don't see it, not at all.

The deck building takes some learning, but gameplay is a no brainer. When I think "huge learning curve", I think War in the pacific, etc.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

HoodedHorseJoe

I think it's more of a learning spike than a 'curve', the more you play SD, easier it gets but those first few matches... especially if you don't give yourself the right conditions to learn in, can be incredibly brutal and you won't always understand why you're loosing. I never found the game great at explaining itself but once you start picking things up - like Jar said, it's a lot easier than it looks.

Just avoid 1v1's.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

JasonPratt

SD44 is a game I dearly love and yet rarely ever play. I don't understand this yet.  ???

But I wanted to add a re-vote for "dearly love".  :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

Quote from: Hofstadter on July 27, 2018, 03:27:30 AM
I think its lack of appeal is the huge learning curve of it. The multiplayer aspect is a big thing and veterans of the series already know how to play the style. So learning it is either watching 50 youtube videos, or getting smashed 100 times.

Play skirmish vs not easy but very easy  AI. The AI virtually lets you win while you learn.

Destraex

Really been enjoying this guys videos on steel division tourney match commentary. It's like watching a game of your chosen sport.
This guy really knows his stuff and you learn a lot from him. I have seen so many tactics in this game that I just did not have the game knowledge to be able to use effectively.

Destraex

EDIT: just realised their was not topic for the recently announced #2

Silent Disapproval Robot

Me neither.  I want to like it but I barely play it because I duck at it.  I think it's mainly down to the piecemeal nature of unit arrivals.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 25, 2018, 05:43:43 PM
Me neither.  I want to like it but I barely play it because I duck at it.  I think it's mainly down to the piecemeal nature of unit arrivals.

Its only piecemeal if you build your decks that way. Also, the enemy is operating under the same reinforcement rules too...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Silent Disapproval Robot

If you enjoy it, that's cool.  I want to but it doesn't click with me.