RIP Senator John McCain

Started by bayonetbrant, August 25, 2018, 07:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45312217

QuoteSenator John McCain, the Vietnam war hero turned senator and presidential candidate, has died aged 81.

Mr McCain died on Saturday surrounded by his family, according to a short statement released by his office.

He was diagnosed with an aggressive brain tumour in July 2017 and had been undergoing medical treatment.

His family announced Mr McCain, who left Washington in December, had decided to stop treatment on Friday.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Ubercat

RIP.

Tuck Frump for criticizing his war record.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

airboy

RIP John and all other US and Western combat vets who have passed this year.

southern_cross_116

Found this a moment ago - the man's own words:

Asked last year during a CNN interview about how he hoped to be remembered, McCain said, "He served his country." He added: "And not always right, made a lot of mistakes. Made a lot of errors. But served his country, and I hope you could add honorably."

Myself, from the point of view of a career public servant -this is what one strives for; Senator McCain did exactly that and has set a great example of what to try to be in whatever way one can.

Edited as I saw that there was a missing close-quote.
RW/LW
Bravehearts Hockey Club

Graphics Coordinator, Artist, etc... for JTS
Owner/Webmaster:
Scenario Design Center (hist-sdc.com)

SirAndrewD

I met him when I was 19. 

I shook his hand and said "Senator McCain, I think you're a great American"

He looked at me and said "How old are you?"

"19 sir"

"You're the great American" said McCain, "Out here at your age, you are."   

Patted me on the shoulder.

I didn't always agree with him, but respected him.  That moment was a great one.  RIP.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

Sorry to hear this, I thought his treatments were going better.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Not many good ways to go, and brain cancer isn't one of them either. A noble though bitter struggle to the end, for a man who fought, and suffered, at the call of his nation, to try to ruin a tyranny.

I hope and trust in God to grant his family peace and strength; and receive his soul into life eonian and the resurrection to come, to reunite with his earlier loved ones, and to wait for the restitution of all in mutual brotherhood under God, where the inhumanity of man to man will never again corrode us!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Sir Slash

Sad news indeed though not totally unexpected. A great American and a genuinely good man. Well done John.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Greybriar

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

SirAndrewD

I'm such a cynic about American politics. 

But this one's actually upsetting me.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Iconoclast

As a non-american I started to understand his biography much better after watching Kenn's and Novick's Vietnam Docu. Following US Politics a lot, I could appreciate him as an exceptional politician.

Wer seinen Kinderglauben sich bewahrt, in einer reinen und unbefleckten Brust, und gegen das Gelächter einer Welt zu leben wagt, wie er als Kind geträumt, - bis auf den letzten Tag: Das ist ein Mann!

jamus34

He wasn't perfect...but unlike many of the blowhards we have in office he was one of the few that new not only his limitations but also that his decisions were not always infallible.

RIP Sen. McCain
Insert witty comment here.