Main Menu

Campaign Cartographer 3

Started by TheCommandTent, July 26, 2012, 09:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

Does anyone here use Campaign Cartographer 3 for gaming, fun or otherwise?  I just picked it up at a good discount and have been messing around with it a little bit.  I've always had a thing for maps so I am liking what I see so far.  I've found a couple tutorials online which have been helpful enough to grasp the basics.  Beyond on that the programs seems very deep and complex (in terms of the finishing effects etc.)

So does anyone else use the program and can you off tips or maybe some examples of your work?

Here is the website if you have no idea what I am talking about.

http://www.profantasy.com/products/cc3.asp
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Double Deuce

I don't have it but have considered picking it up for years now. For some reason whenever I had the urge to purchase it, I went to their site and loaded it into the cart, but when push came to shove I just didn't feel it was worth cost at the time and passed on it.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Double Deuce on July 28, 2012, 08:50:26 AM
I don't have it but have considered picking it up for years now. For some reason whenever I had the urge to purchase it, I went to their site and loaded it into the cart, but when push came to shove I just didn't feel it was worth cost at the time and passed on it.

Nice to see you around here DD.   

psst down here

I got mine on Amazon for half price...   8)

http://www.amazon.com/mn/search/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D229575&field-keywords=campaign+cartographer+3&rh=n%3A468642%2Cn%3A!11846801%2Cn%3A229575%2Ck%3Acampaign+cartographer+3
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Double Deuce

Quote from: TheCommandTent on July 28, 2012, 09:56:46 AM

psst down here

http://www.amazon.com/mn/search/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D229575&field-keywords=campaign+cartographer+3&rh=n%3A468642%2Cn%3A!11846801%2Cn%3A229575%2Ck%3Acampaign+cartographer+3

Nice . . just placed an order.   ;)

TheCommandTent

^Awesome looking forward to seeing what you can do with the program.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Double Deuce on July 28, 2012, 11:31:15 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on July 28, 2012, 09:56:46 AM

psst down here

Nice . . just placed an order.   ;)

Price just went up  :(
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

TheCommandTent

It's still showing $29.56 for me.

Staggerwing

You're correct, now it's back down. My guess is that Deuce's order caused a temporary spike. It's got to be that weird pricing bot thing Amazon and it's affiliates use, the same one that increased the price of some obscure science text to over a million dollars a while back.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 29, 2012, 04:55:02 PM
You're correct, now it's back down. My guess is that Deuce's order caused a temporary spike. It's got to be that weird pricing bot thing Amazon and it's affiliates use, the same one that increased the price of some obscure science text to over a million dollars a while back.

... sooo are you going to pick it up?   ;D

Staggerwing

Umm... it's now in my cart but I've yet to pull the trigger. Sooo tempting, but so are a lot of things right now. I'll see how I feel about it tomorrow.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 29, 2012, 08:21:46 PM
Umm... it's now in my cart but I've yet to pull the trigger. Sooo tempting, but so are a lot of things right now. I'll see how I feel about it tomorrow.

You know you want to.....    ::)

TheCommandTent

I finally had a few moments to fiddle around with this program and I have to say I like what I see.  Below is a map I made up in about 10 minutes.  No joke it was very easy to do with the basic tools.  I am no artist and its not much but its better then I could do using MS paint. :)  I know I am only scratching the surface with CC3 but I am looking forward to what I can do with it.

Staggerwing

Can you import maps directly into the program and then add on to them (textures, objects, highlight borders and coastlines, etc)?

TheCommandTent

I am pretty sure you can import a map and either trace it or add to it. (The manual briefly mentions tracing an imported map)  But again I am still a beginner and learning how to use this program.

besilarius

thanks for this information, Tent.
This type of program is very interesting and may even get an old fogey like me to try it.
Please keep us informed of your progress in using this tool.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.