Rising Sun: Red Orchestra stand-alone expansion

Started by FrontierCybrarian, March 26, 2013, 09:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I didn't realize I got the discount.  What the hell, for $11.99, I'll give it a shot even though I was less than thrilled with the way RO2 turned out.

Father Ted

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 16, 2013, 08:39:27 PM
Debating this one...see on steam for pre order and beta access at 40% off....which then takes it down to $17 for deluxe game.  I am much more of a single player so not sure if worth it for me...but I love the pacific setting since not much out there.

I would say keep your money.  Not because RS is a bad game (I don't know either way), but because it is purely designed for MP.  I've played a fair amount of RO2, and, whilst I think the game is worth the money for MP, it certainly isn't a game I 'd buy for the SP "campaigns".  RO2 itself is often on sale for $5 or so (and has "free weekends") - if you really want to have a quick gander at the PTO I'd wait until RS is pushed in this manner

Grim.Reaper

Although I know the game lacks full single player, but does the beta contain the single/practice mode right now?

Nefaro

Quote from: FrontierCybrarian on March 26, 2013, 10:43:35 PM
Jomni, it's my first love in WW2 games although I try to play many other battlefields.

Initially I wanted to purchase Red Orchestra: Stalingrad but since I only game single-play the reviews indicated for sp the learning curve was difficult and it was way to easy to die from a single shot from an unseen enemy (realistic yes, maybe a bit to tough for a fps game player). I hope Rising Sun gives a little more death leniency for gamers in single-play. If not, it's a no go for me.

The graphics and sounds seem quite nice but I'll likely wait for reviews on this before a purchase.

I've enjoyed RO2 precisely because it's so deadly.  It tends to discourage the run & gun (and bunny-hop) that are most shooters these days.  People are forced to properly use cover or die quickly.  As it should be.  ;)

Silent Disapproval Robot

I finally got a chance to get stuck in and play now that my night shifts are over.

I haven't seen all the maps yet.  I get the impression that it's already going in the direction of RO and RO2 with people just voting the same map over and over and over again.  It seems that the Iwo Jima map gets the most play with Peleliu and Saipan running a distant second.  I've not even seen any of the other maps come up yet.

Having said that, all three of those maps are pretty damned fun.  I tend to play as the Japanese mostly as I want the teams to be balanced and the US seem to be the more popular choice for most players.  Lots of complaints about the quality difference between the weapons.  I tend to play the MG class so I'm not too bothered.  The Japanese Type 96 and 99 LMGs aren't too bad.  The issue I have is that the same bipod deployment weirdness that existed in RO2 is still present.  Sometimes, you just cannot deploy the weapon at all despite the fact that the terrain appears reasonably flat.  Other times, you'll deploy but the weapon will be pointing up into the air or down into the dirt.  Fortunately, it's fairly rare from what I've seen.  Reloading takes forever with the Japanese LMGs and I get caught out quite a lot, trying to do a reload.  The BAR is much faster to reload but the recoil is very fierce and it's very hard to hit much with it when using the regular fire mode.  There's an alternate fire mode available for the BAR which slows the rate of fire considerably and makes the gun a little more accurate, but it's still a beast to control.

I like it so far.  The play mechanics are almost identical to RO2 but the maps seem better designed.  The fighting tends to be very chaotic and very deadly.  I still haven't seen the option for booby traps or banzai charges but I'm looking forward to it.  Flame-throwers are nasty!  I hope they put in exploding FT tanks so that you can blow up the evil bastards who carry the flamethrowers.  As of now, they drop just like everyone else when they're shot.

I would also like the option to set up a single player session with bots in order to familiarize myself with the maps but, if there is an option for this, I haven't found it yet. 
Tutorial needs work as well as the one they use now is cut and pasted directly from RO2 with you playing as a German.   

Trooperc7

You should play on the RGN custom server... all maps played, no map voting.....for booby traps,crouch look at the ground and have a grenade in your hand...then press your middle mouse button and voila.... booby trap set.....Banzai charges are easy prime your bayonet and sprint....your avatar will yell banzai while you are charging.....

jomni

I want  a beta key.  I can't seem to catch them from Steam.  Anyone has an idea how to get one.?

Trooperc7

You dont need a beta key anymore... the closed beta is over..... if you pre-purchase the game now, you have access to the open beta ... also, nice discounts, especially if you already own RO2...Rising Storm cost me $11.99........

Toonces

I bought it.  I like RO2 and I don't know crap about Stalingrad.  I am a huge fan of the Pacific theater, though, so I don't see how I can go wrong with this one.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

jomni

Thanks.  I bought it and downloading.   I'm a PTO nut.

jomni

I have two Beta copies.  Who wants?  I will need your Setam name or email.

MikeGER

... i first thought about asking you for the beta.... but when i was at Steam  i just preordered it too :)
i m sure i will get a lot Bang out of my 10 euro bucks  ;D   

why does such a shit load of good gaming stuff float at me in summery May, instead of nasty November...
the day could need 48 hours!  ;)

Silent Disapproval Robot

I've got two beta keys for Rising Storm if anyone wants one.

FlickJax

do I played RO a lot, RO2 not so much, anyone playing this and will it re-ignite my first person passions?

jomni

FlickJax I'll give you a free beta key to see for your self?  Are you game?