Grogheads CIV IV PBEM

Started by MetalDog, July 07, 2012, 09:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulfang

I'm not in as I'm a Civ V nut now but have played several Civ IV PBEM's in the past. Not sure how many you guys have played but if there are a few of you who haven't attempted any just a few words of advice.

Advanced starts are best. At least having one or two warriors and workers. The game is really slow for the first dozen or so turns and if you have several players you could be looking at several days before you get to the second turn. Taking into account that it will take several turns to make your first unit it can take forever to get the game moving even. The game is only as fast as the slowest player ;) Obviously avoid Marathon speed setting lol.

The game usually starts with a quick turnaround as players are eager to get the game going but even with the best intentions it will slow down pretty quickly. People not being around, time differences, work etc. You need a lot of patience for a PBEM Game.

As much fun as having lots of players seems the game will be slower the more players you have. The last game I played only had four of us and six months later we gave up after two players couldn't commit to the game anymore.

Team games are usually the fairest and tend to allow everyone to stay in the game for a while otherwise the weaker or less knowledgeable players disappear pretty quickly.

Anyway have fun. I'll keep an eye on your progress.
Xfire: Ulfang
Steam/PSN/Xbox: Gavmundo

MetalDog

Alright.  It looks like Bismarck, Barthheart, OJsDad, Jarhead and myself will be participating.  I am in favor of an Advanced start and would prefer a Large, Continents map with all of the Victory Conditions except Conquest.  I do not know how to set a SMPT server, but I seem to remember that Bismarck does.  If he would be so kind as to let me know, that would be awesome.  Or, he can set it up himself.  I have no culture preference.  Random is fine for me.

So, what else gents?  Advanced start?  Map size and number of A.I.?  Victory Conditions?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Barthheart

Advanced start sounds good to me. Do you pick the era for that? Maybe midieval would be good place to start.

Huge continenents.

Agree on victory conditions.

AI? Maybe 5 one for each of us to take out? :)

MetalDog

I didn't see an option to pick starting era.  However, I wasn't looking for one either. 

I got two warriors, two workers, one culture bump, a Granary, a cow pasture and a road from it to my city, plus one point of population and Masonry, Pottery, Animal Husbandry, and one or two more Techs for the beginning 660 points.

If we're playing Huge, more A.I.'s would give us more opponents to trade/war with and something to take up all that space.  Or Large 5 Humans/5 A.I.

Anyone else?

OJsDad

Sounds good to me.  What do you need from me to get started.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

^PM me your e-mail address.  You can choose your civ here.

OJsDad

If no one else want them, I'll take the Americans.    PM on it's way.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

OJsDad

When I launch Civ, I want to us the BTS icon.  I don't need to load any mods do I?

Ulfang

That's another good point. Before you start you need to be sure everyone has the same expansions and are patched to the same patch. If the game is run using BTS then everyone needs it. If the game is created via vanilla version then it can only be un with vanilla. If anyone isn't patched to the same patch as the game creator then they won't be able to play.
Xfire: Ulfang
Steam/PSN/Xbox: Gavmundo

MetalDog

Yes, you want to use the BTS icon.  You will also need a Gamespy account to play online.  Go to Multiplayer.  If you do not already have a Gamespy account, you can create one there.  Once you login to Multiplayer, you will need to patch your BTS to Version 3.19. 

OJsDad

Quote from: MetalDog on July 14, 2012, 10:34:33 AM
Yes, you want to use the BTS icon.  You will also need a Gamespy account to play online.  Go to Multiplayer.  If you do not already have a Gamespy account, you can create one there.  Once you login to Multiplayer, you will need to patch your BTS to Version 3.19.

OK, I'm already at 3.19.

I had to use a different email address.  I tried to use my google account to link to ign account, but I couldn't log into gamespy from with in CIV.  So I had to create a different account with a different email address.  I'll PM it to  you.