V For Victory Utah Beach Patch (PC)

Started by ikrananka, August 11, 2017, 05:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ikrananka

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have the first patch for the old 1991/1992 V for Victory Utah Beach game by Atomic Games.  This is the patch that takes the game from v1.1 up to v2.0 and was only available to registered owners of the game by mail.

I'm doing some experimenting with earlier versions of these games and need this patch.  I have all of the other patches and updates, it's just this one patch I'm missing.

Thanks

DennisS

Quote from: ikrananka on August 11, 2017, 05:34:07 PM
I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have the first patch for the old 1991/1992 V for Victory Utah Beach game by Atomic Games.  This is the patch that takes the game from v1.1 up to v2.0 and was only available to registered owners of the game by mail.

I'm doing some experimenting with earlier versions of these games and need this patch.  I have all of the other patches and updates, it's just this one patch I'm missing.

Thanks

Damn. I DO own this game, but do not have the patch. This was a very, very good series.

ikrananka

I'm actually working on a "retrospective" series of videos for the game but need this patch to fill a gap in my research.  My plan is to follow up with a Let's Play of Utah Beach and hopefully the others in the series.

FarAway Sooner

Man, this was a great wargame for that time period.  I loved this one!  Although the follow-on Market Garden game always kicked my ass.  As, I imagine, it was supposed to...

bbmike

First computer wargame I ever bought. And never played. I called it "V for Video Card" because my laptop refused to run it.  :(
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

ikrananka

Fantastic series of games and they all run nicely now under DosBox.  As you probably know, the series was followed up with the World at War series, but what you might not know is that this was preceded by an abandoned V for Victory II - The Pacific Campaign game/series.  I don't know how far V4V II progressed, but artwork for the box was commissioned and produced!!!

ikrananka

Quote from: bbmike on August 11, 2017, 07:45:54 PM
First computer wargame I ever bought. And never played. I called it "V for Video Card" because my laptop refused to run it.  :(

The games certainly pushed the graphical AND memory limits of the time.

ikrananka

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on August 11, 2017, 07:42:58 PM
Man, this was a great wargame for that time period.  I loved this one!  Although the follow-on Market Garden game always kicked my ass.  As, I imagine, it was supposed to...

Market Garden was the third game in the series, the second was Velikiye Luki and the last was Gold-Juno-Sword.

Philippe

I seem to recall that there was one later than that, but it was published by Avalon Hill.  One of their first and last computer games.  Hasbro (?)  probably inherited the rights to it. 

They did three WW II games with Avalon Hill that I can remember, one about North Africa (Crusader ?), one about Stalingrad, and the Normandy one (all of the beaches).  These games were a bit more polished than their original releases.

Tiller's Panzer Campaigns have a lot going for them, but these were much better games (or at least they seem that way in the rosy glow of recollection).
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

ikrananka

Quote from: Philippe on August 11, 2017, 08:43:06 PM
I seem to recall that there was one later than that, but it was published by Avalon Hill.  One of their first and last computer games.  Hasbro (?)  probably inherited the rights to it. 

They did three WW II games with Avalon Hill that I can remember, one about North Africa (Crusader ?), one about Stalingrad, and the Normandy one (all of the beaches).  These games were a bit more polished than their original releases.

Tiller's Panzer Campaigns have a lot going for them, but these were much better games (or at least they seem that way in the rosy glow of recollection).

Yes, after the V for Victory series came the World at War series.  This later series started off with Operation Crusader (North Africa), then Stalingrad and finally D-Day America Invades (this was the original Utah Beach game but now extended to include the Omaha Beach area).  These games included an overhaul of the game engine and interface but introduced a lot of bugs in the process.  While the first two games received a few patches and received some praise despite the remaining bugs, the last game didn't and is still very buggy.  Apparently Avalon Hill wouldn't pay for updates and consequently Atomic Games didn't really do much to squash bugs and release patches.  I guess a reasonable business decision but not a good one for the players.  Besides, Atomic Games were now focusing on developing Close Combat and Avalon Hill and Atomic went their own ways.