Main Menu

World of Warships

Started by Kushan, June 06, 2015, 11:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on February 27, 2018, 12:03:21 PM
Amen on the Marder II, but I've never forgiven Wargaming for nerfing her like they did waaaayyyy back a million years ago.  Still won't sell it, but it ain't what it used to be.

Can't explain it, but boats and their grinds, are just more "easy," for me to deal with as opposed to tanks.  Figure it's the way that Wargaming are constantly tweaking tanks & introducing "paper," tanks and maybe even the player base with that game that turns me off tanks sooner rather than later.  Dunno.  Think I made this complaint before too.

Anyhoo...sorry for the derail on my part.

I stopped doing WoT years ago.  A short time after release. 

Had been in WoT closed & open beta, enjoying it.  After it went full release, however, they just continually changed the meta & gameplay.  Plenty other MP arena games coming out at that time so it wasn't a loss.

World Of Warships is fine, though.  You make a good point about the difference. 

I'd also add that WoWs has a slower long-game strategy element to it which makes it more interesting.  Tank games also tend to devolve into the same crap:  "Peak-A-Boom" gameplay.  It's damn repetitive.  Pop up, shoot, pop down, rinse, repeat.  Ugh.  :-\

MengJiao

Amen on the Marder II, but I've never forgiven Wargaming for nerfing her like they did waaaayyyy back a million years ago.  Still won't sell it, but it ain't what it used to be.

Can't explain it, but boats and their grinds, are just more "easy," for me to deal with as opposed to tanks.  Figure it's the way that Wargaming are constantly tweaking tanks & introducing "paper," tanks and maybe even the player base with that game that turns me off tanks sooner rather than later.  Dunno.  Think I made this complaint before too.

Not such a derail.  I've played various grindy MP shooty games and WofWarships seems more tolerable than most.  I think its because the ships are very well done graphically and the battles are over pretty fast.

DennisS

I have about 12k matches in Tanks, about 500 in Planes, and only about 1,500 in Warships. Oh...and six in total war arena, which may be better than all of them!

Thank God I am newly retired now. Need to bust out my 4,000 point warhammer army, and finish painting them. That'll take a year, at least.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on February 27, 2018, 08:40:09 PM

Not such a derail.  I've played various grindy MP shooty games and WofWarships seems more tolerable than most.  I think its because the ships are very well done graphically and the battles are over pretty fast.

Here's the "Turenne" -- a marvelously ficitve battleship  -- sort of an Agammenon with 12-inch guns for all the 9.2-inch guns -- But with plenty of killer secondaries all the same.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

the continually changing meta of WoTs is one of the things that continues to make it interesting.
right now its a super heavy/ vision meta but my team just won running a fast med/ fast td comp.
if they had stuck with real WW2 tanks the game would have died long ago IMHO.  at some point theyre going to have to split off into a modern game of its own.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MengJiao

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 03, 2018, 11:36:17 PM
the continually changing meta of WoTs is one of the things that continues to make it interesting.
right now its a super heavy/ vision meta but my team just won running a fast med/ fast td comp.
if they had stuck with real WW2 tanks the game would have died long ago IMHO.  at some point theyre going to have to split off into a modern game of its own.

I kinda wish World of Warships would split off an earlier segment (say 1890-1920) to cover earlier types and shorter ranges and less air attacks.  It would actually fit the
structure of the game world better anyway.

Dammit Carl!

Nefaro

Quote from: MengJiao on March 04, 2018, 08:57:34 AM

I kinda wish World of Warships would split off an earlier segment (say 1890-1920) to cover earlier types and shorter ranges and less air attacks.  It would actually fit the

Agreed. 

A WW1 era would've been more conducive to balanced gameplay. 

The top tier CVs just dictate too much of the match for it to ever be balanced.  Their Borg-spotting, alone, is a huge deal.  Even before mentioning the attacks.

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on March 05, 2018, 01:16:21 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on March 04, 2018, 08:57:34 AM

Agreed. 

A WW1 era would've been more conducive to balanced gameplay. 

The top tier CVs just dictate too much of the match for it to ever be balanced.  Their Borg-spotting, alone, is a huge deal.  Even before mentioning the attacks.

While we are wondering how to make the game vaguely sensible ( up to tier VI or VII it is at least fun), it seems like some kind of pre-disposition phase where cruiser reconaissance planes or spotter planes had some use would be good.  Some regions could have submarines or mines or shore batteries to be neutralized or transports to defend or attack etc.  Forces might have other assets to signal (aircraft or submarines for example).  Intercepting enemy signals could be interesting at that stage, and one might have the option to attack at night (night would be good for DDs and cruisers versus CVs and so on).  Battles might have multiple phases etc.

MengJiao

Furutaka totally modernized:

MengJiao

Normandie: very fictitious and totally wonderful (29 knots and 12 13.5-inch guns):

Sir Slash

THAT'S a good-looking ship! If I wasn't already married, I'd ask her out. And pay for dinner.  :smitten:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Dammit Carl!

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 16, 2018, 10:41:26 AM
THAT'S a good-looking ship! If I wasn't already married, I'd ask her out. And pay for dinner.  :smitten:

Thanks.  I'm not sure it would work in reality.  The notes say they lengthened the ship and put in Dunkerque style boilers and such, but it's still hard to see where they would fit all that on a ship with more and larger guns.  So its somewhat of a sci-fi ship, but still fast and nearly as much fun to take into battle as the Dunkerque (which for some reason with fewer and smaller guns still rates about the same in firepower in World of warship terms).