Why Microsoft's Surface Bombed

Started by LongBlade, July 18, 2013, 09:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Great article discussing why MS's newest tablet was a complete disaster.

QuoteThe rollout of the Microsoft Surface was as badly-botched as any product launch I've ever seen. The Internet was shouting "Shut up and take my money," but, astoundingly, Microsoft wouldn't take its money: the company did not announce a price or a release date or a pre-order website for the Surface until an absurd four months after the event; by the time they did, all of the buzz behind the Surface had died down, all of the excitement had fizzled and so many articles had been written dinging the armor of the Surface and questioning its appeal that far fewer wanted to buy one than on the night it came raging out of the darkness. Couple that with a disastrous advertising campaign featuring the cast of Stomp -- an ad campaign far less appealing than the teaser commercial above -- and the Surface was as doomed as a stick of dynamite.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/it-s-official--microsoft-s-surface-rt-launch-was-one-of-the-worst-of-all-time-205724965.html
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Martok

When you absolutely, positively need something screwed up, Microsoft is the company you want.  They're masters of stepping on their own feet and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Grimnirsson

Screwing things up...just look at the disaster with their Xbox One (a.k.a Xbox 180) presentation.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Hiimori

Microsoft should really invest into a new marketing department - their consumer research is horrible ("let's abolish the Start button in Windows 8", "let's introduce always-on and DRM in the new XBox"), and when they bring new products on the market, they regularly fail to explain these products to the consumer, publish confusing and contradictory information, and they don't have their official speakers under control ("deal with it", "Buy a XBox 360").

Surface was certainly an interesting product (I laid my hands on it on the CeBIT), but the pricing was ridiculous compared to the competitors.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Martok on July 19, 2013, 01:21:36 AM
When you absolutely, positively need something screwed up, Microsoft is the company you want.

One of my favorite internet quotes of all time...

"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they start making vacuum cleaners."

that's probably more perception than reality, but still funny :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

eyebiter

Microsoft took the name of an existing product for their new tablet. The old Windows Surface is now called Pixelsence

Had Microsoft only released ONE product in a single configuration (i5 with Windows8)  this might have had a chance.  Adding ARM/Windows RT to the mix made the Surface destined to fail.

- Retailers sold Windows RT and Windows 8 versions to end users without explaining the difference
- The RT version included office, but wouldn't run any other core Windows software
- The keyboard was an optional upgrade, not included.  Also there were two different keyboards Touch and Type.

LongBlade

I have to say this: Windows 8 is the first OS that makes opening a closing a laptop a breeze.

There's a lot not to like about Win8 but they finally figured out how to treat a laptop properly.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Maybe I'm doing it wrong then because I find having to click the little tab in the bottom right, then settings, then power, then shutdown is more cumbersome than using the old Start/shutdown option.

The MS Sidewider 2 Force Feedback joystick was awesome, so naturally they stopped making it.

LongBlade

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 19, 2013, 06:41:14 PM
Maybe I'm doing it wrong then because I find having to click the little tab in the bottom right, then settings, then power, then shutdown is more cumbersome than using the old Start/shutdown option.

The MS Sidewider 2 Force Feedback joystick was awesome, so naturally they stopped making it.

You're doing it right. 95% of my time is spent just closing the lid. It rarely travels more than a room over. So for me this works well - just put it to sleep. Amazingly, it works. Every time. And wakes up really fast.

Staggerwing

Wow, that's just so cool. Why hasn't Apple though of that?

(Oh, wait... the 90's are calling on the other line... )
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 19, 2013, 06:41:14 PM

Before I added Stardock's Start8 (which I love BTW) I discovered you could create a shortcut for that. I'll never understand why they thought having you go through so many moves just to shut down was a good idea.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak