Indonesia is hit with another tsunami/quake, hundreds dead

Started by JasonPratt, September 29, 2018, 10:50:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I heard about the quake(s) yesterday in passing, and wondered if tsunamis would follow. No need to wonder any more...

https://www.compuserve.com/news/story/0002/20180929/KCN1M900U_12

Up between 15 and 20 feet tall, racing into shore at almost 500 miles and hour (though of course it slowed down in the shallows and piled up).

Death toll already almost 400 people, and could easily rise into the thousands, both already dead from the quake/wave activity, and dying later from secondary results.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

More extensive footage (more preliminary as the sea is receding) of the footage I posted originally.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

JasonPratt

Not sure what these guys are on, high above the water, but the waves start swirling it a little eventually.

markh

Hi Jason

I cannot recall how many fatal earthquakes Indonesia has experienced this year - with many hundreds of fatalities on some of those occasions.  It is a curse of that region.

I was actually on the coast of northern Malaysia on Boxing Day morning 26 December 2004 when the big one hit.  There really is nothing that can adequately prepare you for it.  You think that you have seen these things before on film footage, and you know logically how they work.  You expect a possible wave after an earthquake, but, when it happens the scale, speed, noise and the unstoppable power of the watching the wave move inland and create havoc is absolutely amazing.  Remembering it still causes the hair on my forearms to stand.

God help the victims.

bob48

That really is dreadful - must be a terrible experience.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Compared to that, the Fukushima tsunami was leisurely, just kinda meandering along (sweeping everything before it). This was more like the boiling, hissing tsunami from the 2004 incident. (I heard firsthand reports from some missionaries who were there, caught out on a boat in the middle of a bay when it came in.)

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on September 29, 2018, 03:55:17 PM
Holy Christ. That is horrific.

Yeah, a lot of the casualties came from people hanging out on the beach, just playing around. The warnings didn't get out fast enough. I can't see any people on the beach in that recession/surge footage, but it gives an idea what it would be like to be on the beach when it hits.

I'm looking for news on that city of 300,000 people which had no communications yet. (I forget the exact name, it's like Gyonggyong.)

JasonPratt

This was the latest news I could find, from 2 hours ago (via Eurovision):