Stormpowered Jutland

Started by Snapper, June 12, 2019, 10:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snapper

Quote from: Wburn on June 13, 2019, 11:12:21 AM
https://website.informer.com/James+Rose+Albireo+Studios+L.L.C..html

company Information if you want to go directly to their website and contact them.

Thankyou.

I will certainly drop them an email and express my frustrations!

Pete Dero

Quote from: Snapper on June 13, 2019, 12:00:05 PM
I will certainly drop them an email and express my frustrations!

Say hello to Godot while you wait for an answer >:D.

solops

Those guys took aim and blew both feet off. Their DRM is a textbook case of How to do it Wrong. I played and enjoyed their first game, Distant Guns (?) and was excited about Jutland. Then they came out with the Jutland DRM and retrofitted it to DG. I never even considered buying Jutland after that. It's a shame. They had good products that could have been great with proper support/cashflow, but their DRM doomed the whole venture.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Pete Dero

Quote from: solops on June 14, 2019, 10:54:58 AM
Those guys took aim and blew both feet off. Their DRM is a textbook case of How to do it Wrong. I played and enjoyed their first game, Distant Guns (?) and was excited about Jutland. Then they came out with the Jutland DRM and retrofitted it to DG. I never even considered buying Jutland after that. It's a shame. They had good products that could have been great with proper support/cashflow, but their DRM doomed the whole venture.

Not that I can recommend Jutland with the current website issues, but the initial DRM is removed and it can be played offline.

Wburn

In my earlier post I tried to get DG 1.5 to start on my laptop where I never loaded it. The installation went ok till I tried starting it . The game DGs wanted to update and timed out to 404. So I tried offline mode and the game still wanted to update not allowing offline mode. I,m not a tech genie, but I'm assuming it's not going to work till their portal goes back online, or they sell them off to a third party which would be my wish. If Rose is reading think GOG.

Nefaro

Quote from: Snapper on June 13, 2019, 05:19:11 AM
I'm sure Jim Rose assured everyone that this type of action wouldn't ever happen.
Oh well they were obviously empty words.

I also recall the statement that if they were ever bound to go under, our purchased games would be made available for download and unattached use.

Not sure that convinced many people.  :))

Redwolf

Quote from: solops on June 14, 2019, 10:54:58 AM

Well they met their objective - no pirated copies. With no legitimate sales there is nobody to upload it to pirate sites.

This game series is wrecks - some shipwrecks and one big trainwreck.

Destraex

I just got in. How I did it.
Launched Storm Powered
Went to my games
Right Clicked on Jutland
Press launch game

Went and had a shower :)
Loaded a scenario to check and it worked nicely

However I already had the game downloaded and installed. So this does not test for connectivity problems with stormpowered. Although the stormpowered client web pages seemed to load ok. I do notice the forum seems to be in the midst of an upgrade even though the latest main page news urges us to check it out.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Wburn

There is also a facebook page where they can't stop posts unlike their forum. Here is a link
https://www.facebook.com/StormPowered/.
I hate it when people make claims that they will keep representing their products but when times get tight they just walk away without giving their customers a heads up on their intent (leave profanities here). The guy moderating on the forums "Bullethead", seemed not to be concerned about customers having technical issues, or comments on the game's AI.
Unfortunately, most customers that originally purchased the game probably have gotten tired of a game that
hasn't been updated nor had any improvements on it's UI and moved on. I did try the phone number that was listed on their company website and it rang through asking to leave a message.

Destraex

I just loaded the express edition of Distant Guns 1.5. Seems to be running perfectly for me. But mine has been installed for over a year.
It is possible that Jim is dead. My greatest fear with promises for game copy protection is that the owner dies and nobody cares to fulfil the promise.

Here are shots of the last loads. Last screenshot is Distant Guns.

Sir Slash

Brings back memories. Of frustration!  :knuppel2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Snapper

Quote from: Destraex on June 16, 2019, 07:59:49 PM
I just loaded the express edition of Distant Guns 1.5. Seems to be running perfectly for me. But mine has been installed for over a year.
It is possible that Jim is dead. My greatest fear with promises for game copy protection is that the owner dies and nobody cares to fulfil the promise.

Here are shots of the last loads. Last screenshot is Distant Guns.

Glad to see yours is working, I'm assuming you had yours marked for offline usage as pinging back to the home server seems to be the issue. (Just saw how above -sorry)
I emailed Jim a few days ago and have heard nothing plus still no reply to my two support tickets that are nearing 3 weeks old.
One way or another the company has abandoned the game I'm certain.
As people have said this predicament was the biggest fear of this type of DRM and its actually happened.

Destraex

I have not touched any settings woth regard to off or online. I can check though as I may have changed something a while back.

Snapper

I have found a file for Distant Guns which I can install and load up however the game won't accept my serial and password, so I'm limited to the demo.
Therefore I'm assuming it's the master server that's been pulled?

FarAway Sooner

Sounds like the Guns are getting REALLY distant now!!!