Started by JasonPratt, August 04, 2018, 02:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on August 25, 2018, 09:12:20 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on August 22, 2018, 07:50:36 AM
Quote from: Destraex on August 21, 2018, 11:10:33 PM

Thank you. So it is not my PC. Yours screenshot (although in darkness rather than light) also shows it looks like they are rag clad zombies at that range. They seriously look like they are missing parts due to the  the LOD simplifying them and turning them into 2D elements I suspect. The skirmishers at the front especially look like stick figures.

So true, but I think on the dusty plains of Etruria, an actual observer would have seen something much more like the Rome II image than the other two.  At 4-500 meters, people are likely to look pretty simplified.  Plus in the other two images, a lot more simplifications occur before the image is presented.  Rome II has hundreds of figures in each formation and the other two have around 10% of that.

To me that does not look like 500m away. Maybe it's 200-300m across.

Hold hard neddy. Trying to find photos of the same distance that are taken in fairly good quality in good light.

See how they don't blend into the ground like total war figures do. They don't all go brown or black like the desert.

The guys right behind the empty viewing stand right behind the missiles look exactly like total war guys.  Plus, given an army frontage of say 500 meters, the total war guys are twice as far away as the north koreans.

Destraex

Yeah. its not the clearest focus in that photo. Well suffice to say previous total wars were better.

Warhammer total war seems to look better

So does arena

Three Kingdoms looks like it might also look better at range:

ultimate general certainly does

Destraex

Shogun 2
I seriously just think rome2 is bugged or dumbed down since release. Shogun 2 looks 100% better at distance.

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on August 26, 2018, 09:10:33 AM
Yeah. its not the clearest focus in that photo. Well suffice to say previous total wars were better.

It's just a different color palate.  To my eye the colors in Rome II look a lot less busy and more like reality.  i think this has been a problem all along for Rome Two: the landscapes are more real in Rome II and people are not used to what real landscapes look like.

Destraex

I think perhaps they need more spacing between ranks and more unified colours at distance. As you zoom out they need to conform in shape more and become something less messy and blurry.

Destraex

I prefer clarity. Just like I do when I watch a movie. Hate those blurred shots. People are 3D AND DO not blur into the landscape the way they do in rome2. I suspect they do this because their new engine turns them into flat sprites at distance.

Gusington

Everyone knows Shogun 2 is the best TW game evah.

I agree with Meng that the difference is the color palette.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I thought Napoleon Total War had gorgeous soldier graphics. Now the AI tactics however...... #:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

NO! Shogun 2. It's academic, really. 🤡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Shogun 2's battlefields are too small. NTW's Are the size of Kansas. Could be just me though, I played Shogun 2 on a 'Shamefurl Display'.  :DD
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 27, 2018, 11:01:02 AM
Shogun 2's battlefields are too small. NTW's Are the size of Kansas. Could be just me though, I played Shogun 2 on a 'Shamefurl Display'.  :DD

I'm actually very happy with the Rise of the Republic -- good maps, fun units -- Actually - it's my favorite total war ever (bye Shogun 2!).

Sir Slash

Gusington

I can't even look at you. Either of you.

That said this thread has made me interested in the era and I will thusly pick up the dlc once it goes on sale.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: MengJiao on August 26, 2018, 09:24:06 AM
Quote from: Destraex on August 26, 2018, 09:10:33 AM

It's just a different color palate.  To my eye the colors in Rome II look a lot less busy and more like reality.  i think this has been a problem all along for Rome Two: the landscapes are more real in Rome II and people are not used to what real landscapes look like.

TW Rome II has it's own brown-ish color filter over the whole screen.

I was never a fan of this shit-smear filter, but the devs seemed to think it lended some mood of anitiquity.  ::)  It just looked like a constant dust storm to me.   That said, I didn't let it detract from my Rome 2 gameplay, especially since it had so many factions in one of my favorite historical wargaming periods.  Was more sore about them not bothering to put frame art in the UI.. lazy bastids.  :))