Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Well, this stream deck certainly has my attention.  What is the process of setting up a profile? How do you get the buttons to display?

I do have a powered USB hub. It looks like I have 16 different USB devices plugged in at the moment.  I'm not sure what kind of motherboard the system has, I'll have to check.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

The Stream Deck comes with a software control panel.
On the left it shows the Deck's layout, on the right pane it shows various functions you can assign to buttons. It's literally a matter of dragging a function to a button, then configuring the assignment (icon, hotkey).
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

trek

So, I'm addicted to DCS currently as I went nuts during the Steam sale. As I posted before I bought the Harrier, Hornet, Tomcat (yeah, I know the F-14 wasn't on sale) and at the last minute the F-86F Sabre along with the Museum Relic Campaign. My personal thoughts on these birds: I guess since I'm more old school my favorite is the Tomcat although it maneuvers a bit like a bear at times. I've already nailed everything on it. Love the inclusion of the music tracks using LShift+M and also using Jester.

Next would be the F-86F Sabre, just a blast to fly! And the 21-mission campaign is great too. I also like the Harrier flight model although I'm finding learning the systems a bit daunting for some reason.

Which brings me to the Hornet: IMHO probably the smoothest and best handling flight model. Lots to learn but the systems seem very intuitive. However I've hit a brick wall here in advancing my learning process. I seem to have a bug with my joystick and keyboard on this ONE plane. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't fire the gun in any of the instant missions. I then played the training missions and the gun functioned. I've tried the usual suspects for a fix: deleting my current JS config and imputing a new one and uninstalling the Hornet module and reinstalling it with no luck. As a matter of fact the game will not let me even input a new config as when I do it doesn't recognize it. It only picks up the original config I mapped. I have all my views, and other selections mapped on the stick and they work fine but the gun trigger function will not. I thought I had it fixed after I deleted the lua file in User/Save/Config and the gun worked but it turns out it was just a one-off as after I quit and went back into the game it didn't work again.

Perusing the DCS Forums I notice that a few others have posted this issue with the Hornet but it doesn't seem to be prevalent. I think one poster said he had to uninstall/reinstall the entire game to fix it. Although I'm worried that even that might not work in my case. I'm using my old Logitech 3D Pro but I also have a Thrustmaster TM16000m HOTAS. Since I've already DL some ready-made configs for the TM from the DCS Hornet User Files maybe this method will bypass the problem and fix it. Worth a try I guess. Can you have another JS input config without messing up your previous ones? I DO have my config files backed up.

Anyway, I don't really feel like uninstalling the entire game for the moment and I've got plenty of birds to learn. I've even gone back into the Mirage to refresh my memory on it's systems. Not sure if I want to keep messing around with the Viggen though as I don't find it that appealing like I once did. Using the English Cockpit Mod helps but I find having to put that cartridge in the slot on startup annoying like I'm back in the days of eight-track tapes. Also the Viggen FM seems to want to go into a roll at the drop of a hat. The downside of all this is that I'm playing DCS and nothing else right now and I think my other games are getting lonely and unloved. One-game addiction is a bad habit I guess although I'm really enjoying the high.

I doubt if any of you have experienced my JS bug with the Hornet but if anyone here has another suggestion for an easy fix please let me know.

Jarhead0331

^Are you sure no other keys are mapped to the gun? Make sure the trigger on your stick is the one and only key mapped. Sometime, if multiple buttons or keys are selected, none of them will work. Also, I know I mentioned it in our emails, but are you sure you are selecting the gun on the stores page on the DDI? The gun will not shoot unless your master arm on on AND the gun is selected on the DDI. Maybe take and post a screenshot of what your key config looks like for the gun trigger...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

trek

Hey JH,
I've got everything configured right. DDI's  and stores selected are correct. The Gun and CCIP boxed like they should be. Master arm activated, correct ammo selected. I have the same problem that someone mentioned on the DCS Hornet JS Bug forum in that it works fine on the training missions but not in any other gameplay. And it's odd that it's only the Hornet. I think it may be some conflict with my keyboard and Stick. Tried messing around in the CoreMods JS input files but messed up my joystick roll axis on all my aircraft so I put the original backup file back in. I've  already discovered that you don't want to mess around in the CoreMods folder too much except for loading skins.

I'm using a Razer Tournament Edition Compact Keyboard (no keypad) with a separate Mechanical Keypad so I can place it on the left-side of my KB for  some games where I use the keypad. I'm wondering if that is the problem. Although, again it doesn't affect any aircraft in DCS but the Hornet. I might try my old Saitek full-size keyboard as well.

Cougar_DK

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 07, 2019, 01:36:42 AM
On another note: I have discovered a nifty little device called Elgato Streamdeck. I bought the XL version with 32 LCD buttons. ( www.elgato.com )
It's basically a buttonbox, where the buttons have a tiny 144x144 pixels LCD display so you can make each button have custom looks, which can be changed on the fly with profiles.
You can sort profiles in folders, so effectively you have unlimited buttons available to map and sort.
Build quality of the device is VeRY nice and I gather that people in the sim community are working on software to have two way comms to the device to make dynamic profiles possible (think annunciators lighting up, or button states changing as a result of things in the sim)

My first effort was to create my own custom made UFC for the A-10C. (See pic)  The result is superb!

I have the "old" one so please count me as a little envious.

The "unlimited" folder structure makes it very easy to make page after page after page for specific planes in dcs and even in different sims. Love it!
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Yskonyn

Yeah I am currently making a SP comms page where I can press one button which will navigate throught the comms menu automatically to give orders to units in SP.

After that I am going to make a F/A-18 set of pages.

ArmA 3 and Steel Beasts Pro will come next.

LOVE this thing!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

I would have gotten this in heart beat before VR.  Now, I'm not so sure I will use it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Yeah I totally understand that!
I, however, never play DCS in VR save for some fun flights. But flying anything serious (virtual wing events for example) in VR just doesn't work for me.
It's uncomfortable and I really need the real estate of my desk and the sharpness of my monitor.
But if I were a VR exclusive user there would be no point in getting the Streamdeck.

JudgeDredd

Getting Jester to startup for me (though once the canopy is shut, he doesn't seem to carry on...)

Changed it so it's Goose I'm talking to  ;D
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog