Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

QuoteThe guided missile destroyer USS Porter (DDG 78) leads the way with the guided missile destroyers USS McFaul (DDG 74), USS Arleigh Burke (DDG 51), USS Cole (DDG 67), and the guided missile cruisers USS Cape St. George (CG 71) and USS Anzio (CG 68)

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

QuoteSubmarine tender USS Emory S. Land (AS 39) tends to the Los Angeles-class attack submarine USS Pasadena (SSN 752)

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

besilarius

Yorktown off Okinawa 18 March, 1944.
A Japanese Judy dive bomber came out of the clouds dead ahead of the ship.The bomb struck on the starboard (right) side of the signal bridge on the O-5 level. If not for the delay fuse, Admiral Radford and many of his staff could have been killed. Fortunately for the admiral, the bomb passed through that deck, down through 20mm battery No. 7 and exploded off the side of the ship about the level of the 2nd deck. As a result of the bomb and explosion, 3 men (one officer and two enlisted) were killed and 18 wounded.

One of the sailors survived a HUGE piece of shrapnel.
https://www.patriotspoint.org/news-and-events/japanese-bomb-and-ghost-bomb-strike-yorktown/
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

QuoteJapan Maritime Self-Defense Force's (JMSDF) latest Izumo-class helicopter destroyer DDH-184 Kaga is pictured before a handover ceremony for the JMSDF by Japan Marine United Corporation in Yokohama, Japan, March 22, 2017.

mirth

QuoteUSS New York (ACR-2), off New York City during the victory fleet review after the Spanish–American War, August 1898.

mirth

QuoteHMS Victorious (R38) at Sydney, Australia. 1965.

besilarius

Captain Isaac Hull escapes a british squadron in the USS Constitution.

A side effect of this escape was Captain Philip Broke, HMS Shannon, determined to take an american frigate.  He ultimately captured Chesapeake of Boston.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

QuoteUSS Los Angeles (ZR-3), top, and USS Saratoga (CV-3), bottom, January 27th, 1928.

mirth

QuoteUSS Coral Sea (CVA-43) steams past USS Ranger (CVA-61) in the South China Sea, 24 March 1965, during the early days of the air campaign against North Vietnam.

besilarius

The Rogers steaming on the Columbia River.
Mount St. Helens eruption is in the background.

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

German BB Hindenburg at Scapa Flow.

"With your eyes closed?"

Steelgrave

A submersible battleship? Cool!   <:-)

Staggerwing

Scuttled by her own crew (along with a number of other crewed but interned German ships) in a surprise act of defiance against the British right after the war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuttling_of_the_German_fleet_in_Scapa_Flow

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on July 16, 2017, 08:28:17 AM
QuoteJapan Maritime Self-Defense Force's (JMSDF) latest Izumo-class helicopter destroyer DDH-184 Kaga is pictured before a handover ceremony for the JMSDF by Japan Marine United Corporation in Yokohama, Japan, March 22, 2017.

Whoa. They name ships after old IJN ones? Nice.

Of course, this Kaga is far different from the old Kaga, but still...interesting.

GDS_Starfury

the new Kaga isnt much smaller then the old one.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.