Main Menu

2016 Baseball Thread

Started by Bison, January 06, 2016, 11:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

A little over a month until pitchers and catchers report.  Thank God baseball is nearly back in season.

And in great news to start off the 2016 year.  The Royals resigned Alex Gordon.

MetalDog

Saw that!  And you got him relatively cheap, too.  4 years, $18 million per.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

Hometown discount to be sure.  I never believed that he or the Royals wanted to part ways.  Hopefully he can stay healthy.

Bison

Just over 30 days until pitchers and catchers report and the Royals haven't made any moves to pick up another starter.  I was really hoping the Kazmir rumors were true, but it wasn't to be.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on January 14, 2016, 03:30:59 PMI was really hoping the Kazmir rumors were true

no you weren't.  the dude is canned ass after the All Star break.  Every. Damn.  Year.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

We need another starter preferably a lefty and there aren't too many low cost, quality ones out on the market. 

I think the Royals will have a decent season, but there are some teams like the Cubs really making a push this off season to make a strong run at the Series.  The Royals need to do something with the starting rotation to remain competitive.  Second base and right field also need to be looked at too but based on the sport talk radio the Royals seem content with what they have in those positions right now.  We'll see but right field will be a platoon position and Omar will play second.  He's very good defensively, but is lacking skills at the plate.

MetalDog

Bison

The Kennedy rumors had be circulating for a few weeks now on the local sports radio shows.  I think Kennedy is a good fit in that he's coming into a pitchers park and he eats up innings to get to the strength of the Royals pitching staff; the bullpen. 

I'm excited for this season but we'll see.  I'm not convinced that platooning right field is the best idea, but Dyson hasn't had a chance to be an everyday player and he might pull it off.   Also I think 2B could be problematic, but they do have a few youngsters in the minors that have real potential.  But the Royals are basically done now on the free agent market for the off season with the exception of some really low cost role players maybe but certainly Kennedy was the Royals big off season FA move. 

MetalDog

I thought that would have been keeping Gordon, no?  And Kennedy gave up 19 homers in the last pitchers park he played in.  Their payroll is north of $130 million.  Those all sound like moves a club would make if they were trying to buy a championship.  Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kansas City!

Bison

No keeping Gordon was huge, but for reasons beyond signing Kennedy.  Gordon is the leader, fan favorite, and letting him go would have been a huge PR hit. 

The entire Padres staff gave up the long ball last year.  I think Kennedy will benefit from playing in Kaufman Stadium, which is huge, and have a stellar defense behind him.  The Padres were a pretty crappy defensive team last season.  Anyway we'll see.  A 5 year contract is a long one, but Kennedy is still young (31) so if he remains a constant workhorse taking the ball deep into the game that'll be to the benefit of the Royals.  The one issue Royals pitchers had last year was getting into early inning trouble. 

They are spending the money now, because the core of the team is basically together for another 2-3 years.  I expect that if they go south in the standings, the management will shed contracts quick if possible.

MetalDog

Quote from: Bison on January 17, 2016, 12:43:46 AM
They are spending the money now, because the core of the team is basically together for another 2-3 years. 

That's what teams that are trying to buy championships say.  Hope it works for you as well as it does for the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, Angels and so on.

Bison

The Royals are right around where they were last season and are still in the middle of the pack for payroll. 

MetalDog

Tell yourself what you will, you're trying to buy a championship.  And that's ok.  Even acceptable.  You just can't be holier than thou anymore about teams that do it. ;)

Bison

Sure as the hell I can be.  The royals would need to spend another 70-80 million a year, every year on over rated aging has beens.

MetalDog

Whatever you gotta tell yourself big spender :)