Have You Seen This Man?

Started by LongBlade, April 26, 2015, 09:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Alternatively titled: Wanted: An Education.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Atilla60

And these people are our future?
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

LongBlade

Ha! Great dog pic.

Yeah, that was my reaction, too.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

JasonPratt

Oh it's worse than that. A few years ago, a poll in Britain indicated that 25% of its citizens under the age of 25 (roughly, I forget the exact numbers but that's about right) thought an amazing number of definitely known historical people, up to and including Winston Churchill, were fictional characters.

Not that they were ignorant of their existence or couldn't recognize the name or faces. THOUGHT THEY WERE FICTIONAL CHARACTERS! (If I recall correctly, Ghandi was one, too.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

I wonder what the consequences are when an entire generation hasn't got a clue about history, even history that occurred less than 100 years ago.  With nothing to compare their current lifestyle to it must be very easy to mold youth into exactly what you want them to be.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk