Main Menu

ARMA 3

Started by Toonces, February 20, 2015, 03:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I'm struggling now with fixed wing aviation, particularly with the added sensor and weapon features that were included with the Jets DLC update. I find that its really difficult to get my key setting right for targeting and locking on with guided munitions. Furthermore, the keybinding options for these new and advanced features do not seem to be obvious in the config menu. I've search the web for a current keybinding chart, but everything I find looks pretty dated.

I'm slowly sorting through it with trial and error, but its off-putting at times. Flying jets looks like it can be so rewarding in ARMA, but its something I have always struggled with. The size of most maps and limited draw distances doesn't help either, but on a large map like Altis, there is a lot of room to play. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Check this AI mod out...I hear good things.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=24080

Description:
This is my AI enhancement mod for Arma3.
It was primarily developed with dedicated server / coop gameplay in mind, although it works well for single player use.
I have played both campaign episodes with zero issues having this mod enabled (in fact, I probably would not have played them at all otherwise).

For best experience, install the mod on server and all clients connecting to it, headless or not. The server settings (from userconfig) are always used.

Features:
Config features
- AI's fire mode selection, rate of fire and engagement ranges are tweaked. Makes them shoot more human-like.
- Weapon dispersion varies more with unit's skill. The lower the skill, the more increased dispersion. Makes tweaking them from the userconfig more effective.
- Reconfigures detection skills for soldiers. Base sensitivity skill has been reduced for civilians (3->2) and increased for snipers (3.5->4).
Enemy snipers should be harder to hide from while friendly snipers should be employed strategically.
Hearing has been improved for soldiers but the perceived noise made by soldier movement was reduced. Makes sneaking up still possible while soldiers will
detect other noises better overall (those made by gun shots or vehicles for example).
- Reconfigures unit costs. Units are classified by importance in 3 levels: less (civilians, insurgents, militia), normal (regulars), more (special ops, snipers, officers).
Units (especially players) may change equipment so it doesn't make sense to have an "AT guy" wear a big "shoot me first" sign just because he's in that "class".
- AI units are more able to detect bullets fired.

Scripted features
- The units skills are automatically configured based on their unit type, faction and the settings that can be changed in the userconfig. The skills are randomized but
given in between a minimum and a maximum value based on the skill level each unit is assigned in. This way you can have regular unit better then guerilla but spec ops
or snipers a lot better then all so you're able to customize but also keep the diversity. You can configure for each unit class values for their aiming, spotting and general
skills. You can also apply global coefficients per faction. The skills are applied after the start of the mission for present units or for any units that may spawn in
later.
- The view and object distance of the dedicated server is dynamically adjusted during a mission based on sun elevation and fog level. This is done because the view distance of the
AI on the server determines how fast they will lose a target they already became aware of. Less chances of getting shot through the thick of the fog or darkness by AI you can't even see.
- AI will be alerted by explosions. They may try to get to cover. The higher state of alertness will increase the chances of detecting the enemy.
- AI units are more able to detect gun fire. Factors which contribute to how far they can hear and how precise the information gained are:the ammo type, if the weapon is suppressed, foliage, houses
- Groups reduced to a 2 (configurable number) units after mission start will look for near friendly groups and merge with them. AI working as a team is a lot stronger then a bunch of separate units.
- Wounded AI that is unable to walk may separate from their group and be left alone if there's no medic in the group. Helps AI groups reach their destination in a timely
manner when one of theirs has been shot in the leg or had a stupid accident (fell of a rock and broke legs, got hit by car etc.).
- AI share info about threats with other groups in their proximity if they have radios. Enhances awareness for groups that are not directly in contact with an enemy.
- AI groups coming into contact while in the open will try to move to cover. Helps them survive longer when caught in the open.
- AI machinegunners use suppressive fire. Makes them more effective and feared.
- Buildings are used in combat by AI. You may see AI shooting from windows or rooftops and it may not be as easy to hide in a house anymore.
- AI may move to cover and pop smoke when hit to help conceal while taking care of their wounds.
- AI may use near vehicle or static weapons for fighting.
- Keeps player in charge on teamSwitch to another unit; prevents leaving AI in charge to shout stupid orders that you need to cancel when you switch back to leader unit.
- Disables fatigue for AI in player's group and enables it for currently player-controlled unit (triggered on teamSwitch only); lets AI be able to keep up with the player.
- AI may rearm if low on ammo from nearby crates, vehicles, bodies or even friendlies rucks (eg ammo bearers).
- AI copy leader player's stance (configurable shortcut key to toggle this, default: Ctrl + Backspace)
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

...and another.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23969

Description:
bCombat aims to achieve both a more aware and human-alike infantry AI. It features an unique ecosystem, including an event-driven AI morale / skill system as well as many optional AI enhancements.

Highlights:

Morale system driving dynamically AI behavour and skills.
    AI behaviour is affected by many environmental events (spotted enemies, explosions, bullets whizzling by, ricochets, wounds, casualties, ...).
    Modular mod architecture: optional features may be toggled on/off or tweaked at will.
    Reduced (excessive) AI firing accuracy.
    AI units proactively lay suppressive fire and suffer sensible morale / skill penalty when suppressed.
    Increased AI survivability: better use of cover, movement and suppressive fire lead to longer firefights.
    Player led AI units require far less micro-management on the battlefield.

Features:

bCombat core features include:
        Full-featured morale system: morale affects both AI behaviour and combat effectiveness. AI will act aggressively or passively depending on circumstances.
        Event driven AI behaviour: any environmental events such as enemies inbound, heard gunfire, suppressive fire, nearby explosions and ricochets or casualties have an effect on AI behaviour.
        Real-time suppression effects: bCombat relies on (included) bDetect framework for accessing real-time ballistic information on any bullets flying by on the battlefield.
        Automatic, gunfire aware stance handling: units will crouch, sprint or go prone according to situation
        Enhanced fire & movement routines
    Optional (toggleable) features include, as of v0.15:
        Custom move to cover behaviour
        Aggressive return fire / fire back behaviour
        Mutual covering behaviour
        Suppressive fire behaviour
        Specialized suppressive / overwatch behaviour
        Custom fleeing behaviour
        Surrendering behaviour
        CQB enhancements
        Enhanced hearing: units do hear gunfire and explosions at distance
        Investigate behaviour: units alerted by casualties or gunfire may move to nearby places to investigate enemy presence
        Enhanced grenade throwing: very short to long distance, includes blind throwing over obstacles
        Smoke grenade throwing
        Automatic formation tightening feature
        Faster movement feature
        Friendly fire damage capping
        Custom damage multiplier
        And more ...

All this is delivered pre-configured and ready to go, while it can be tweaked at will via its own configuration file (config.sqf).
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

...and finally,

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=25381

Description:
AI Modification: Faster, Smarter, and Deadlier AI.

Vcom AI 3.0 is an AI overhaul modification (Script or Mod) that aims to change the feel of combat in a PvE environment.

What does Vcom AI 3.0 offer?

Optimizations

For starters, Vcom AI 3.0 offers a noticeable increase of performance over its older counter-part, Vcom AI 2.81.

Functions on a group based FSM system, instead of an individual AI system. Allowing for better FPS, control, and cohesion with AI.

Removed fluff and unnecessary code from Vcom AI 2.81, making the mod/script much more focused.

Customization

Use the Userconfig file to modify Vcom AI to your liking, or if CBA is running you can modify the settings in-game and on the fly.

Advanced AI Direction and Threats

-AI will clear garrisoned buildings

-AI will automatically generate waypoints for more interesting and varied combat (AI will not do this if they have certain pre-placed waypoints or more than 1 move waypoint)

-AI move dynamically from cover to cover while following waypoints

-AI will call for on-map artillery for support

-AI will call for reinforcements proportional to the enemy threat

-AI will garrison structures temporarily in combat, if able

-AI will look for nearby static weapons to man

-AI will automatically deploy/pack static weapons

-AI will use satchels to drop buildings, or setup traps for enemies

-AI will use mines to on roads, in buildings, or wherever, to stop enemy movement

-AI will change formations depending on the environment

-AI will attempt to heal themselves or others when out of combat

-AI will attempt to rearm themselves from dead bodies, vehicles, and etc when low

-AI will steal empty or unlocked vehicles

-AI have a chance to ragdoll when shot, causing them to fall over briefly

-AI have an enhanced ability to hear and respond to gunfire from a distance

-AI will respond differently from a weapon that is suppressed or not

-AI on a hold waypoint will garrison a structure indefinitely, or until provided another order

-AI, with NVGs, will be able to see your IR laser and respond accordingly. Be careful where you point that thing!

-AI can have side based/classname based skill settings.

Ease of use

Vcom AI is easy to use. Install it, throw some units down, and go. It supports AI being spawned in dynamically, so there is no worry about needing to execute the code on every freshly spawned AI.

To manage specific AI group behaviors, simply use these commands listed below.

(group this) setVariable ["VCM_NOFLANK",true]; //This command will stop the AI squad from executing advanced movement maneuvers.
(group this) setVariable ["VCM_NORESCUE",true]; //This command will stop the AI squad from responding to calls for backup.
(group this) setVariable ["VCM_TOUGHSQUAD",true]; //This command will stop the AI squad from calling for backup.
(group this) setVariable ["Vcm_Disable",true]; //This command will disable Vcom AI on a group entirely.
(group this) setVariable ["VCM_DisableForm",true]; //This command will disable AI group from changing formations.
(group this) setVariable ["VCM_Skilldisable",true]; //This command will disable an AI group from being impacted by Vcom AI skill changes.

Quite frankly, having looked into this issue, most SP guys seem to be saying that the current state of the game has made drastic improvements to the AI since initial early access release. In other words, it has come a long way and a lot of people have stopped using the AI mods.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

I appreciate the effort, JH.

I'll practise tonight and if I run into problems I'll try to make screenshots detailing the issue.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Yskonyn

Here's what I think has been the major cause of my AI woes; I never used 'T' to call out targets as a commanding officer, but it looks like making your squad aware of targets you see increased their effectiveness plenty!
I can't believe I never figured that out before. But I always used to play relying on the AI of my squadmates to spot and engage targets. It looks like they need a little directing from their platoonleader. :)

I haven't figured out how to lay down suppressive fire. There is a menu option for it, but as far as I can see it doesn't do anything.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Yskonyn

I completed Minotaur with two casualties in my squad.
I first took up an overwatch position on the south slope of the hill. My squad was then ordered to put fire down on the south side of the town and this drew quite a few insurgents towards the southern edge.
I then asked Alpha 11 to move in from the North and assault the town.
When the volume of fire began to increase from the insurgents I called Alpha 12 to move in from the East to meet the insurgents' fire head on.
After about 10 minutes of intense fire the volume of fire from them started to wither and we pushed into the town, securing it another few minutes afterward.
Truely great experience!  :bd:

Supressive fire does not work assigned to targets it turn out. You will have to assign an object or location on the terrain to enable it, like area fire, which makes sense.
I would have found it easier to be able to assign suppressive fire to targets (snapping to the terrain grid for example), but its not a big thing once you know.

Calling out targets helped a lot here too.

Jarhead0331

All of the missions in that series are awesome...glad you liked it! Is Minotaur the one where you have BMP support? If not, that one is an intense experience too. Really feels like you are part of a government force fighting an insurgency.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

No Minotaur is the one where you lead a platoon of 12 infantry and you can call in 2 platoons of infantry led by the AI from the flanks.

Update: I have now reverted to Voice Attack with the SpeakEasy profile, as well as the C2 mod.
It makes commanding units MUCH more easy, rewarding and realistic!

Find SpeakEasy here:
https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/211074-speakeasy-voiceattack-profile/

C2 mod is in the Workshop:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=491016790&searchtext=c2
(You'll need one dependency)

C2 basically enhances your orders menu/hud so you can change formation, alter spacing and change stance on the fly using a HUD overlay mode. The system also intelligently works around objects and within buildings to quickly align and position your men at logical positions.

This coupled with the ease of voice command for selecting units and assigning teams makes the whole experience much more rewarding!
I can't believe why I haven't tried this before.

Yskonyn

Played 'Centaur' to completion as well. No casualties!

Being able to command the BMP's to assist with the assault is freakin' awesome!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 10, 2018, 04:09:59 PM

NO casualties? Wow. How did you pull that off? I got my ass handed to me in that one. I did pacify the objective, but there weren't many of us left.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Been trying ARMA again myself, good times for sure....question though about waypoint indicator on the screen.  A lot of times I don't see it even though turned on and set on the map.  Do some scenarios just prevent you from using it and forcing you to use compass?

Yskonyn

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 10, 2018, 04:46:10 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on July 10, 2018, 04:09:59 PM

NO casualties? Wow. How did you pull that off? I got my ass handed to me in that one. I did pacify the objective, but there weren't many of us left.

I used Hammer 1, 2 and 3 as assault guns on the main road in the town running South to North. Hammer 2 got smoked by an AT emplacement, so I guess that should be regarded as a casualty.
But because it was an attached unit over which I have no detailed control I think its fair to ignore him in the tally; all my platoonmembers lived to fight another day!

I basically crossed the bridge after disembarking and secured the crossroad of the main road at high speed.
When I received control of Hammer I immediately moved them up to the crossroad and the parallel road west, both looking North.

A small assault by the enemy was launched but they didn't stand a chance.
I positioned one of my automatic weapons to cover the most western road and the hill, along with Hammer 2, while my other automatic weapon was placed to cover the main road to the North along with Hammer 1.

Then we slowly moved up and swept clean the town. Not particularly difficult, but I might just have been lucky.
Second try Hammer kept on driving over my dudes at full speed, so YMMV definately. 😁

Grim.Reaper

That C2 mod is AWESOME....really helps with commanding the troops and simply LOVE the pre planning you can do from the map.

Jarhead0331

^ive had c2 for a long time, but never used it. How do you use the HUD mode quickly and effectively? I seem to be having a hard time nailing that one down.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog