What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

No Retreat! The Russian Front late into the night or is it early into the morning after mid-night?  Learning the rules and sequence of play.  Really, really like the game but the rule book needs a revision for clarity in some places.  Also if you include optional pieces developer/publishers please for the love of old tired brain mention it with words and images somewhere, somehow with the game. 

Bison

Debating the merits of getting a playmat for Wings of Glory....thoughts?

mirth

If you're into the game, I'd say go for it. The mats are very nice.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

I just don't understand the logic of the measurements.  Game recommends a 36X36 play area but the official product is 27X39.  Seems odd.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Bison on April 07, 2018, 08:22:22 AM
I just don't understand the logic of the measurements.  Game recommends a 36X36 play area but the official product is 27X39.  Seems odd.

Pretend you're watching one of those 70's television broadcasts of Tora Tora Tora or Midway where the TV station decided to squeeze the whole movie onto the screen instead of either letterboxing or chopping off the edges.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

Wings of Glory in HD widescreen.

Bison

I guess it be better than using painters tape to out line the area that I've done in the past.  Maybe I should just pick up a piece of blue felt.  Seems just as good and significantly cheaper.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I like that the mats are designed so that you can lay several of them out and at the terrain features match up.  If you're looking for a 36x36 inch mat, you might want to look at tinywargames.

http://www.tinywargames.co.uk

mirth

Quote from: Bison on April 07, 2018, 08:22:22 AM

I don't know enough about the game to comment.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Quote from: Bison on April 07, 2018, 08:34:21 AM
I guess it be better than using painters tape to out line the area that I've done in the past.  Maybe I should just pick up a piece of blue felt.  Seems just as good and significantly cheaper.

The official mats look very nice, but they are pricey (the game is pricey in general, imo). The felt would be a step up from what you've been doing. There are plenty of other mat options out there too.

How'd you end up playing WoG? I've considered it in the past, but I don't care for it being without altitude ranges.

Silent Disapproval Robot

What do you mean by altitude ranges?  It does have rules for altitude in the game.  They work well for WWI but don't transfer over to WWII very well.

mirth

The time I played the World War 2 game it was all at a single altitude.

mirth

Maybe  I was playing Wings of War and not WoG. It was several years ago.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: mirth on April 07, 2018, 12:40:02 PM
Maybe  I was playing Wings of War and not WoG. It was several years ago.

A lot of guys play without the alt rules.  The rulebook is divided into basic, standard, advanced, and optional rules.  Alt is either in standard or advanced but it gets treated as optional by many.  The chit system provided in the game box to track alt is a bit cumbersome but there are 3rd party stands with alt indicators on the bases that work very well.

http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/index.php/flight-stands.html

mirth

Thanks. I've seen the flight stands being used in other games and I was a little confused about it. I was just reading through some of the WoG alt rules and it sounds very similar to CY6.