Dom 3 slow game (2 day turnaround)[closed]

Started by Yskonyn, March 04, 2013, 01:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

The 5-day turnaround game thread looks like it may take 5 times as long to get going.

Is that irony?

Reading over Ys's intro post, I don't get the impression an age has been settled on yet either, since it's listed as To Be Announced (although we could just mod it slightly so all age-factions options are available.)

In that case, I've semi-called factions below based on the Age finally chosen, and I'll do the same here for the Early Age: either Vanheim, the Triton Kings of Oceania, or Abysia Children of Flame.

Same terms as below: whoever chooses the other two factions first, I'll auto-choose the third. In case no one chooses the other two, I'll choose from the remaining two or three whichever seems to best balance other factions chosen.

(I have no experience playing any of the nine factions I've semi-chosen, by the way.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

If we go Middle Age, I'll take either Ulm the Enigma of Steel, Pythium the Emerald Empire, or Bandar Log Land of the Apes, whichever someone else doesn't claim first. (i.e. first person to claim two of them means I'll automatically call the other.) That's a fairly wide range of standard-conservative to mind-blowing crazy options. :)

If no one takes any of those, I'll choose among them later with an eye toward balancing other factions chosen (thus explaining the range of options between them).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

If we go Late Age, I'll take either Mankind's Towers of Chelms, the Human Jomon Daimyos, or Ermor's Ashen Empires (because hey I might as well win. :D)

Same terms as with Middle Age: whoever first chooses the other two, I'll auto-take the third, and if no one takes those picks I'll choose whichever seems to best balance the other chosen factions.

Huw the Poo

OK I'm about to post this on Desura.  Someone at Shrapnel wants in, by the way.

Huw the Poo

Someone has expressed an interest on Desura but has voiced concerns over the size of the map.  I've told him that if he's joining the game his opinion will be heard.  :)

undercovergeek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 07, 2013, 04:36:31 PM
Someone has expressed an interest on Desura but has voiced concerns over the size of the map.  I've told him that if he's joining the game his opinion will be heard.  :)

we'll all make it to the end!

Phobos

Heya, my handle on the Desura forum is phobosexual.

I have a recent interest in playing dominions 3 after picking up a copy of the game.  The relaxed pace of this game is not an issue for me.  I have a some experience with MP strategy games, but very little multiplayer experience with Dominions.  I have played single player a fair amount, but I have yet to complete a multiplayer game.  At the rate one of the games I'm playing is going, I should have my first loss within a week.

I have no real preferences on the game settings, mainly due to a lack of experience.  However, from playing single player, I have noticed that games on really big maps tend to become a bit of a grind.  This is probably due to the AI's preference for recruiting large numbers of basic units in every province.  A game against thinking players would probably not have this issue, at least not to the same degree.

In any case, I would be happy to play.  I just wanted to introduce myself and better elucidate my concerns about the map size.

Huw the Poo

Hi Phobos, thanks for dropping by!  What does everyone else think about the map size?  Maybe with the turn limits so generous it would be a good idea not to make the map too large?

JasonPratt

Well, let's see, hmmm...

Should we assume that everyone should have a maximum of two territories away from homebase for initial expansion?

On a perfect hex board (which these maps usually aren't), that would mean:

1 territory for the capitol
6 territories for one move away from the capitol
plus another 12 territories for the second move away from the capitol in some direction allowed by the first move.

Total, 12 + 6 + 1 territories for each player = 19 territories per player.

19 x 5 players = 95 territories.

Cradle of Dominions has 199 territories + 22 sea.

So yeah, that's overly much on that assumption of a five territory diameter of living-room (central plus two steps in any direction).

Three steps on an ideal hex, however, would add another 18 hexes around the circumference, bringing the total to 37 territories per player.

37 x 5 = 185 territories, which is a lot closer to the CradofDom territory count, especially if no one turns out to be immediately sea or air worthy.

Of course, there are ways on a random start that a faction may end up a lot closer than that to other factions, but the basic average for expansion would be the same. CradofDom has an algorithm that guarantees at least four adjacent provinces to each player (but not an average diameter worth of territories) within some other restrictions.

But yeah, a smaller map might be preferable, something closer to 95 total territories, for such a slow moving game.

airboy

I'll do Abysia which is pretty simple for an email noob.

Phobos

I forgot to list nation preferences...

Depending on age, Pangaea, Man or maybe Bogarus if late age.  I am not fussy, so if someone else wants any of those nations, feel free to take them and I'll pick from the remaining choices.

The only nations I should not play are Sauromatia and Formoria, both early age nations that I am starting to get a handle on in multiplayer.  While I am by no means an expert, my experience might give me an edge.

parone

greetings Ysko, i have arrived!!!

looking forward to the game, i vote EA, CBM, but will give anything a go.

parone

if we go EA, ill take ctis.  never even played em in SP, but i always wanted a pet lizard

undercovergeek

lmao - welcome guys - how many are we looking for Yskonyn?