Did you know?

Started by Jarhead0331, February 21, 2012, 01:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^Big +1. Eisenhower new there would be deniers because most of the world was denying it back when it was happening. It was hard to admit that something on the scale of the Holocaust could actually happen.

It goes beyond Germany too...Japan will never admit to everything they are guilty of in the Pacific War and before, going back to the 19th century. Check out what Korean/Chinese/Japanese relations are like today. And the Turks are still adamant about not labeling what happened in Armenia in WWI as genocide.

And on and on.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on February 24, 2012, 09:26:50 PM
^Big +1. Eisenhower new there would be deniers because most of the world was denying it back when it was happening. It was hard to admit that something on the scale of the Holocaust could actually happen.

It goes beyond Germany too...Japan will never admit to everything they are guilty of in the Pacific War and before, going back to the 19th century. Check out what Korean/Chinese/Japanese relations are like today. And the Turks are still adamant about not labeling what happened in Armenia in WWI as genocide.

And on and on.
I don't have much to add to this.  I just wished to say I concur wholeheartedly with your post. 

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 24, 2012, 06:18:35 PM
How is Archer? I've never watched it. Is it a spoof or is it 'hard-boiled'?
If we're talking about the animated show on FX, it's very much a (brilliant and hilarious) spoof.  Makes me wish I had cable. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bayonetbrant

Quote from: besilarius on February 24, 2012, 06:42:27 PMAfter seeing Dachau, somehow he knew there would be Holocaust deniers.  He made sure that everything was caught on film.
If everything had not been so well documented, most people would not believe that such atrocities could have happened, or on such an industrial scale.

When we went to the Patton Museum at Ft Knox a few years ago, there was a temporary display on one of the units that liberated a camp in Bavaria (not Dachau, but name escapes me).  It was pretty moving to listen to the eyewitness accounts of the guys who liberated it, but it was really hard to explain to a five-year-old why you're listening to a telephone receiver in the museum
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

^The Wife and I are constantly worried about how to explain things like this to the youngins'. My older one (5 years old) has already come home and asked me about war and soldiers and things and I do my best. The Holocaust and 9/11 scare the crap out of me as far as explaining them to the kids.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on February 29, 2012, 10:50:51 AM
^The Wife and I are constantly worried about how to explain things like this to the youngins'. My older one (5 years old) has already come home and asked me about war and soldiers and things and I do my best. The Holocaust and 9/11 scare the crap out of me as far as explaining them to the kids.

I am not sure exactly how we got to the subject, but it was likely a combination of them learning in school and osmosis.

Being a docent at the WWII museum, we visited as a family several times. (Interestingly one child has consumed military history with relish, the other couldn't care less.)

Also, keep in mind that the school will introduce those topics.

One day they'll come home and connect all your WWII games and books to what they learned in class. The next year, they'll learn some more. Eventually (probably around 6th grade) one of the suggested readings will be Anne Frank's diary. That's your window, and don't be afraid to enter it. No one is ever ready, but the world is full of bad people. There are people today who would create another holocaust if they could, and 9/11 is not so far removed from the topic that they can't be connected.

I was never afraid of discussing them - quite the opposite. They need to know. And you can tell when they're ready. If their eyes glaze over, they don't care or get it. But one day they'll be interested, probably particularly so given your religious background, Gus.

Kids can often be treated as young adults. I've never talked down to my kids. It may go in one ear and out the other, but they get to hear life and its complexities on a daily basis. I've found if you tell it like it is, they figure it out. They're smarter than we give them credit for.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

The part that unnerves me is the emotion involved. My Grandfather never talked about the war and I think I am programmed like he is.

The events I actually saw in person are just too horrible. I don't know how to present it in person without losing my mind. And if my kids are anything like I was they will want to know every little detail.

How do you tell a little kid you saw people hurtling to their deaths out of windows and splattering on the sidewalk? How do you explain the reasons why you were turned down to donate blood that day? How do you explain the fear that you had that you wouldn't live to get home...that was very real to me in the early hours of 9/11.

Documented history will be somewhat easier because of the degree of detachment. 9/11 will be the big deal for me.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on February 29, 2012, 01:27:18 PM
The part that unnerves me is the emotion involved. My Grandfather never talked about the war and I think I am programmed like he is.

The events I actually saw in person are just too horrible. I don't know how to present it in person without losing my mind. And if my kids are anything like I was they will want to know every little detail.

How do you tell a little kid you saw people hurtling to their deaths out of windows and splattering on the sidewalk? How do you explain the reasons why you were turned down to donate blood that day? How do you explain the fear that you had that you wouldn't live to get home...that was very real to me in the early hours of 9/11.

Documented history will be somewhat easier because of the degree of detachment. 9/11 will be the big deal for me.

Well, I was removed and didn't see that first-hand.

I guess how you deal with it depends on you. If you don't want to discuss it, you don't have to. If you want to, but don't know how, that's a different question.

Gusington

10+ years on and I don't know. I was a blathering mess for about a month after the actual time. But I'll probably be quietly affected by 9/11 for the rest of my life. What to tell the kids never really came into the equation until now.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

I think we were all affected, though not nearly to the degree you - and others there - were.

Gusington

Probably. That's the kind of stuff they don't tell future parents about. "Yeah so one day you'll have to explain all of the mysteries of the universe - dark and light - to your kids. Good luck."

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

son_of_montfort

I seem to remember several conversations about this over at Wargamer. I think Kev used to taunt a "certain well-preened and dressed individual" by saying that Hugo Boss was the designer of the SS uniforms.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Gusington

Not sure but I think that came up in this thread again and was proven to be true.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Centurion40

Then someone slandered VW, but they were right too!!
Any time is a good time for pie.

Gusington

I loved my VWs until they became really expensive to maintain. So did my Gramps. For some reason he hated buying anything from Japan but happily bought VW Bugs, even though he didn't fight in the Pacific.

He had his odd side.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on March 30, 2012, 09:51:50 AM
I loved my VWs until they became really expensive to maintain. So did my Gramps. For some reason he hated buying anything from Japan but happily bought VW Bugs, even though he didn't fight in the Pacific.

He had his odd side.

We all have quirky inconsistencies. It's part of being human, I think.