What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^Ooh how is that? Been on my to-read list for a while.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

WallysWorld

I'm about 100 pages into Robert K. Massie's "Castles of Steel: Britain, Germany, and the Winning of the Great War at Sea" and I'm really enjoying it. Just ordered another book of his: "Dreadnought".
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Staggerwing

Quote from: WallysWorld on September 27, 2015, 07:38:52 PM
I'm about 100 pages into Robert K. Massie's "Castles of Steel: Britain, Germany, and the Winning of the Great War at Sea" and I'm really enjoying it. Just ordered another book of his: "Dreadnought".

They are great books, both of them. I hate to say it but you may want to stop where you are then read 'Dreadnought' first since it sets the background for 'Castles of Steel'.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Dreadnought is one of my favorite history books of all time. I've got Castles of Steel but haven't taken the plunge yet. Massie is a great writer. Check out Peter the Great...another one of my favorite histories by Massie.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Don't remember if it was 'Castles...' or 'Dreadnought' that I read, but, it took a time period and subject I have less than zero interest in and made it fascinating.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

^Massie is excellent at that.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

WallysWorld

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 27, 2015, 07:51:04 PM
They are great books, both of them. I hate to say it but you may want to stop where you are then read 'Dreadnought' first since it sets the background for 'Castles of Steel'.

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the tip.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on September 27, 2015, 01:16:20 PM
^Ooh how is that? Been on my to-read list for a while.

It is excellent, extremely well written. I don't know a great deal about Lawrence or that period of Mid East history so I'm really enjoying it.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on September 27, 2015, 08:16:11 PM
Massie is a great writer. Check out Peter the Great...another one of my favorite histories by Massie.

Seconded.

Sir Slash

Killing Reagan by Bill O'Reilly. He's got another hit on his hands.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Raylan by Elmore Leonard. I almost never read fiction these days and I have mixed feelings about Leonard as a writer, but I loved Justified. I did read one of Elmore's earlier books that had the Raylan Givens character - Pronto. Again mixed feelings.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Nefaro on September 28, 2015, 10:18:06 AM
Quote from: Gusington on September 27, 2015, 08:16:11 PM
Massie is a great writer. Check out Peter the Great...another one of my favorite histories by Massie.

Seconded.

+1. Dreadnought/Castles of Steel and Peter the Great are some of my favorite books of all time.

Gusington

^His last book was on Catherine the Great in 2011. He's 86 years old - I hope he has one more title left in him. Bonus tidbit: Massie lives about 25 miles away from me (and AR) in Irvington, NY. I substitute taught there about 15 years ago for a while. Beautiful town.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Airborne Rifles

I need to pick up his title on Catherine.

Gusington

Me too. Still have to read my copy of Castles of Steel though.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd