it's Friday, what's going on your table this weekend?

Started by GJK, May 04, 2012, 09:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

son_of_montfort

I played my first solo-scenario of Mage Knight. YIKES! Complex in minutiae but not in play options (which is both good and bad). I really liked the experience, but it certainly will take some time to learn it!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

I played a friendly game of Flames of War. Had a good time holding off a company of American Shermans with two Tigers and some Nebelwerfers. Will probably post a couple of pics for our Tuesday Screenshot.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

Quote from: Arctic Blast on May 13, 2012, 03:45:52 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on May 13, 2012, 06:15:00 AM
Quote from: mirth on May 12, 2012, 05:19:29 PM
Would love to hear your impressions of Nuklear Winter '68 once you get a chance to play it.

NW68 is a blast. I've only been playing solo so far but is plays welll solo. It also plays fast as most of the inof in one the counters so no charts to look up.
It uses a chit pull system for formation activation, one of the things that lends it to solo play.
Combat is just 2d6 + modifiers vs 2d6 + terrain. Difference is number of hits. 1st hit disrupted, 2nd hit reduced, 3rd hit killed.
Land units, aircraft and helos, off board arty - HE, Chem, Bio, Nuke.
Most scenaios are 2 payer with the Black Hnd appearing by event to spoil both sides.
Very thematic board and scenarios. High production values all around.

Yep, this mirrors my initial impressions quite well. The rule set is simple enough to learn quickly, and you aren't going to be referring to firepower effectiveness charts or anything like that. The rulebook is initially a bit big and intimidating, but it also includes all of the scenarios and some amusingly silly background fiction to fill you in on how the game's world came to be. Easily playable solo. We also played a 2P scenario. And in both cases, Black Hand units will auto generate based on an in game event. Those are handled by chits in the draw pool, rather than the 'If you have Line of Sight to Hex H6, refer to Event A' variety this time around. We also played one of the 3P games with all three factions running around, and that was just ridiculous fun.

Components are excellent. The map is pretty big and fills about 80% of the box, so there's no way you're getting a counter tray in there and still getting the lid down all the way. Gotta go with baggies instead. But the unit counts are low enough that that really isn't going to be a problem when it comes to setting up a game.

Definitely a thumbs up from me.

Thanks for the impressions, guys. I'm a big fan of LnLs World at War Series and also Corps Command: Dawns Early Light. I'll probably give Nuklear Winter a try too at some point.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

I'm also well into the WaW series, and been tempted by DEL, since I have the expansion from LoF magazine. NW looks interesting and I assume it has some features of the WaW system such as chit-pull and formation activation?

This could go on list, although I have just pre-ordered Desert heat, and may well do the same with Into the Breach.

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

I didn't realize there was a DEL expansion. Thanks, Bob!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bob48

New map and counters and a couple of scenario's  :)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

Yeah I checked it out on the LnL site. Very cool! I just played a DEL game last week. It's a great little game.

DV8

Quote from: LongBlade on May 14, 2012, 11:59:04 AM
I played a friendly game of Flames of War. Had a good time holding off a company of American Shermans with two Tigers and some Nebelwerfers. Will probably post a couple of pics for our Tuesday Screenshot.

Please do!
"Most of my cliches aren't original." - Chuck Knox

Wodin

Charles my new partner in crime on the Tactical Wargames FB page has done a very good unboxing video of Nuclear Winter with a review to follow I believe.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

For those not on the devils social network her eit is on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT7upbsngck&list=UUF8A6KmOxJMVUCkTKILvOVA&index=3&feature=plpp_video

Barthheart

Quote from: bob48 on May 14, 2012, 03:47:57 PM
I'm also well into the WaW series, and been tempted by DEL, since I have the expansion from LoF magazine. NW looks interesting and I assume it has some features of the WaW system such as chit-pull and formation activation?

This could go on list, although I have just pre-ordered Desert heat, and may well do the same with Into the Breach.

Yes NW68 shares alot with the WaW system including chit pull formation activation. And just oozes theme.

DEL is great fun too.

We could try a tree way on VASSAL sometime if you guys want. The rules are online, they just don't have the scenarios.

GJK

Up Front went on the table again last night, playing now with all of the rules (save for vehicles which we will get to eventually).

I love this game!  It's quick to set up and start playing and it's a really easy game to play- if you use the "updated" rules found on the geek. 

My 13yr old son is my regular opponent and he has a natural knack for the game.  We played for about 35 mins last night and he quickly routed my Squad Leader and has my Assistant SL pinned along with half of his group.  He quickly got his MG34 up on a hill and that think is wreaking havoc.  I'm hoping to to around for a flank shot on it.  I had some Smoke in place and thought that would allow me to get in on that gun but a Breeze took that cover away.  We'll finish tonight- maybe more quickly than I'd like!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

I'm a HUGE fan of Dawn's Early Light, and they've just released a limited-quantity ziploc version of the same game with some spare components they found in the warehouse.

http://www.locknloadgame.com/Section_Cat_Content_Detail.asp?SCAT=75&SID=33&ID=87

same game, no box, save $20 or so

I've played it from pre-production through to LOF expansion.  It rocks.  Does a great job of really capturing the way doctrine affected the way units behaved without loading you down with a lot of fiddly rules.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Thanks to Brant and bob48 bringing up the LoF expansion for DEL. I just ordered it through NWS Online. Looking forward to the new units and scenarios!

DV8

"Most of my cliches aren't original." - Chuck Knox

Arctic Blast

I've had a couple of the Railways of the World expansion maps for awhile (Europe and England & Wales), and I think at least one of those is finally going to be played. Probably some Small World and Earth Reborn, too.