What wargame did you try to get into, but gave up?

Started by Pzrjager, April 17, 2018, 11:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pzrjager

If you see a game you like, why should that person give that game a second chance?

Hofstadter

Steel division, not a fan of multiplayer, have a strong dislike of continuous campaign unit removal between levels.

Just about anything by AGEOD.

Steel Armor Blaze of War. That just makes me cry.
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

jomni

Pzrjager

jomni

Quote from: Pzrjager on April 18, 2018, 12:35:39 AM
Quote from: jomni on April 18, 2018, 12:27:37 AM
Steel Division for sure.

What didn't you like about it? I've never played it.

I can never win! Even against the AI.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Steel Division for me as well.

Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich.  Horrible interface, terrible GUI, and runs like crap.

Crusader Kings II.  I want to like it but it simply doesn't click with me.

CMANO.  I still Fire it up occasionally but it feels a bit too much like work trying to set up missions, patrols, fuelling, etc.  It also needs a "sensors for dummies" section in the database to explain what certain a things are, what they do, how well they do it, etc.

Anguille

Too many i am afraid. I still plan to give them all another chance though. I also blame it on the number of games i have... :uglystupid2:

- Uncommon Valour
- All games by Paradox
- All games by AGEOD
- many others.

Destraex

Quote from: jomni on April 18, 2018, 12:36:40 AM
Quote from: Pzrjager on April 18, 2018, 12:35:39 AM
Quote from: jomni on April 18, 2018, 12:27:37 AM
Steel Division for sure.

What didn't you like about it? I've never played it.

I can never win! Even against the AI.

We kick ass in steel division game vs medium AI usually. But it is stressful if you lose particular individual units in the first phase. Where in red dragon it was all about squads of units and you could lose a few without it losing you the battle. If you ever want a game of steel division vs the AI Jomni. Hit me up on steam.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Shelldrake

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Destraex

Quote from: Anguille on April 18, 2018, 04:46:47 AM
Too many i am afraid. I still plan to give them all another chance though. I also blame it on the number of games i have... :uglystupid2:

- Uncommon Valour
- All games by Paradox
- All games by AGEOD
- many others.

Is that avatar from space above and beyond (also noticed "above and beyond" message below it which seems to fit)?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Anguille

Quote from: Destraex on April 18, 2018, 05:39:16 AM
Quote from: Anguille on April 18, 2018, 04:46:47 AM

- Uncommon Valour
- All games by Paradox
- All games by AGEOD
- many others.

Is that avatar from space above and beyond (also noticed "above and beyond" message below it which seems to fit)?
Yes it is... ;)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

Any of the JTS games.... I love the idea of them but something about the execution just doesn't do it for me. And I've tried many times and even with Cyrano and panzerde who both love the games.
Tried the squad level stuff with advance of the Reich, operational stuff with Sicily and Normandy games.

Tuna

Quote from: Barthheart on April 18, 2018, 06:50:30 AM
Any of the JTS games.... I love the idea of them but something about the execution just doesn't do it for me. And I've tried many times and even with Cyrano and panzerde who both love the games.
Tried the squad level stuff with advance of the Reich, operational stuff with Sicily and Normandy games.

I feel the same way with Pander Campaigns and the Squad ones  But I enjoyed the middle ground of the Pander Battles. I also enjoyed the one civil war game I have.

Played the heck out of East Front, West Front back in the day.

bboyer66

Crusader Kings II: Felt like every one of my monarchs was just reliving the same life over and over again.

Steel Division: All these great graphics, but you have to zoom so far out in order to actually see what's going on, that you cant really see them. Wish it was more simulation, then real time strategy game.

Combat Mission Black Sea: The line of sight mechanics are just maddening. An M1 tank sometimes can't see a T-80 sitting in the open 500 meters away. Sometimes you have troops hidden in a building that are spotted from 1000 meters away by another infantry squad.

Hearts of Iron complete series: Terrible AI. Snowball effect where the more territory you take, the more powerful you become, allowing countries like Belgium and Hungary to take over the world. The game has no idea how to replicate the Pacific Theater, and the supply constraints that led to the island hopping strategy. A game of Axis and Allies does a better job of portraying World War II.

Entire Men of War series: Need to do too much micromanagement. Not sure if this is a wargame, or just a problem solver where you have to do everything the designer wants you too, in order to win the scenario.