Main Menu

Wars of Succession

Started by Hofstadter, July 07, 2016, 05:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 17, 2018, 07:32:28 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on January 17, 2018, 06:51:38 AM
Quote from: mikeck on July 08, 2016, 06:14:17 PM
The engine is fine for some games doesn't do well for the ones more epic in scale unfortunately.  I still love RoP, ACW2 and AJE especially.  The engine is just fine when they keep the proper scale. The smaller wars of the Romans is a great example versus the epic scale of World War I which was horrible

I agree.  I think RoP and the Roman games worked well -- because of the scale and technology involved and a good analytic structure behind the scenarios.  The game system is completely at the mercy (as any system is -- but it is more painfully obvious sometimes in the AGE system) of the casual analysis of the events.  The thirty-years war and Espana! just did not arrive in a reasonable analytic ballpark approximation of the events they supposedly portrayed.  The early 18th century should work fine in the AGE, but the analytic side can still fail in ways that are just as unimaginably weird as in thirty-years war and Espana!

What are you talking about meng? "At the mercy of the casual analysis"? "Not arrive in a reasonable analytic ballpark approximation"? "Analytic side can still fail in ways that are just as unimaginably weird..."?

You've totally got me scratching my head...this is either total jibberish, or very high-level grog speak that is way over my head.  My money is on the latter!

LOL...I thought the same thing but didn't post it.

salazarus

I haven't played Espana but The thirty-years war felt odd. The gameplay was good, but the campaign was quirky. It felt like bunch of shorter scenarios put together. It depicted waging war in that era well IMO, but not the thirty-years war as a conflict.

MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 17, 2018, 07:32:28 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on January 17, 2018, 06:51:38 AM
Quote from: mikeck on July 08, 2016, 06:14:17 PM
The engine is fine for some games doesn't do well for the ones more epic in scale unfortunately.  I still love RoP, ACW2 and AJE especially.  The engine is just fine when they keep the proper scale. The smaller wars of the Romans is a great example versus the epic scale of World War I which was horrible

I agree.  I think RoP and the Roman games worked well -- because of the scale and technology involved and a good analytic structure behind the scenarios.  The game system is completely at the mercy (as any system is -- but it is more painfully obvious sometimes in the AGE system) of the casual analysis of the events.  The thirty-years war and Espana! just did not arrive in a reasonable analytic ballpark approximation of the events they supposedly portrayed.  The early 18th century should work fine in the AGE, but the analytic side can still fail in ways that are just as unimaginably weird as in thirty-years war and Espana!

What are you talking about meng? "At the mercy of the casual analysis"? "Not arrive in a reasonable analytic ballpark approximation"? "Analytic side can still fail in ways that are just as unimaginably weird..."?

You've totally got me scratching my head...this is either total jibberish, or very high-level grog speak that is way over my head.  My money is on the latter!

It's a problem for all games that have some kind of a simulation with events that can influence each other side, but it can be more disturbing in the AGEOD engine I think because there's a lot of ways the events and things (cards, production and so on) can interact.  Espana and Thirty-years war were very rigid to the point that there wasn't all that much point in playing the games.  I'm not sure what went wrong with To end all Wars and ACW2, but it seems to have had more to do with the technologies (railroads? -- though they worded okay in Revoltion Under Seige) or the sheer size of the armies.  I think the designers really have to be careful in the AGEOD engine just because it has so much going on in terms of possibilities and once those go off the rails ( so to speak) you go out of the ballpark pretty fast.

Philippe

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Sir Slash

Dressed like THAT, who could argue?  :P
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

panzerde

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Staggerwing

Quote from: panzerde on January 20, 2018, 03:18:34 PM
Prinz Eugen is fabulous

He would no doubt be amused to know that the most notable ship named after him, the Prinz Eugen, was a heavy cruiser.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

panzerde

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 20, 2018, 07:17:28 PM
Quote from: panzerde on January 20, 2018, 03:18:34 PM
Prinz Eugen is fabulous

He would no doubt be amused to know that the most notable ship named after him, the Prinz Eugen, was a heavy cruiser.

:DD

Sir Slash

I heard they both carried a heavy load of seamen.  ::)  And 8 inchers.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

WallysWorld

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Sir Slash

panzerde

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 22, 2018, 07:38:12 PM
Ohhh. That's HOT! :smitten:

I'm admittedly biased toward the period, but I really think this is the best AGEOD game since Rise of Prussia.

MengJiao

Quote from: panzerde on January 22, 2018, 08:12:30 PM

I'm admittedly biased toward the period, but I really think this is the best AGEOD game since Rise of Prussia.

Seems very likely. 

Sir Slash

mikeck

Quote from: panzerde on January 22, 2018, 08:12:30 PM

Agree 100%.
Plus the war itself is great for gaming. The sides are evenly matched, it has a large scope (all of Western Europe), it was a transition period in warfare and three of the greatest generals of all time fought in it. (I'm including Charles the XII since the great northern war can be games as well and was taking place at the same time
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson