Main Menu

Wars of Succession

Started by Hofstadter, July 07, 2016, 05:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panzerde

Quote from: mikeck on July 08, 2016, 06:41:25 PM
Quote from: IronX on July 08, 2016, 12:23:47 PM
Oh yes, very much interested in being able to play the War of Spanish Succession. But I'm a little concerned given the criticism of their latest Napoleonic game. Will have to wait and see. Otherwise it would have been a Day One purchase.

Nspoleonic game had bugs on release. Most of those were cleared up. It's a good game, I just don't care for diplomacy in my wargame

This is entirely why I haven't bought the new Napoleonic game. Let Paradox handle that stuff, and use the AGEOD engine for what it works with - fast moving operational games without static fronts. Games where they do that seem to work well.

As for this new one, the subject matter is enough that I'll be grabbing it day one.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

tgb

PrON 2? Has that been announced or is it just speculation?

bbmike

Just speculation. It would be nice if they released it with a new engine. :smitten:
Pocus did say on the AGEOD forum that another patch was coming that should speed up turn times a bit for Pride of Nations.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Greybriar

Quote from: Hofstadter on July 07, 2016, 05:05:55 PM
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/637/details/WarsofSuccession

Oh my god ageod please stop, your engine makes me cry.

+1 And I really wanted to like Pride of Nations.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

mikeck

Quote from: panzerde on July 09, 2016, 05:09:12 PM
Quote from: mikeck on July 08, 2016, 06:41:25 PM
Quote from: IronX on July 08, 2016, 12:23:47 PM
Oh yes, very much interested in being able to play the War of Spanish Succession. But I'm a little concerned given the criticism of their latest Napoleonic game. Will have to wait and see. Otherwise it would have been a Day One purchase.

Nspoleonic game had bugs on release. Most of those were cleared up. It's a good game, I just don't care for diplomacy in my wargame

This is entirely why I haven't bought the new Napoleonic game. Let Paradox handle that stuff, and use the AGEOD engine for what it works with - fast moving operational games without static fronts. Games where they do that seem to work well.

As for this new one, the subject matter is enough that I'll be grabbing it day one.

Agree 100%. I hope they keep this one simple. If left to be a complex operational warfare game, I think the engine is still the best out there for pre-modern warfare. They muck it up with diplomacy and trying to do modern wars. Have a scenario where on side is France and one is the British/Dutch/HRE alliance: 1703-1710 or something. She British must protect the Low Countries and the HRE. France must break the coalition up and occupy the Low Countries. Traditionally the Dutch leadership were very hesitant to agree on an offensive (finally they did and it led to Marlborough and Eugene handing France its first loss in decades at Blenheim) fearing the French would attack the Low Countries. They felt the army should be used inside the fortifications. The British knew the French were better than anyone -with general Vauban- at laying siege:

So, model this with a need for substantial political/engagement points in order to take the army out of the Netherlands. This would come over Time. This INSTEAD of some type of diplomatic model where I can simply break my treaty with the Dutch.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

WallysWorld

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Boggit

Quote from: bbmike on July 08, 2016, 07:37:01 PM
I love AGEOD games. I can't wait to see the new engine. Hopefully it will be introduced with Pride of Nations 2.
PON2? Now that would be awesome. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

dinsdale

Quote from: panzerde on July 09, 2016, 05:09:12 PM

+1

When they avoid diplomacy, static fronts and century spanning eras they produce masterful games.

Can't wait to see what its like to have Marlborough as a commander, will they have enough leader traits in the engine for his genius.

Nefaro

The Big Blue Blob vs All.  The Game.   ^-^

WallysWorld

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

mikeck

I just signed up to be a beta tester. Wish it was an open beta. Oh well, hoping I get a chance to test it out. I am a little disappointed that they seem to be emphasizing how much a number of things have been simplified...like supply and unit structure. Seemed to work in WIA I suppose. Surprisingly, the only thing that kills the game for me is if the turns are 1 month. On WIA, this was ridiculous. It should not take a month for general Washington in New Jersey to get a message to the army across the river in Pensylvania. Couldn't really get a campaign going.

Anyway. The War of the Spanish Secession is underappreciated I think. It set up a lot of the "lines" fought over in subsequent wars and featured two of the best Generals ever to fight: John Churchill Duke of Marlborough and Prince Eugene of Savoy
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Sir Slash

It does sound like they're dumbing-down the game some. I like the more complex nature of AGEOD's games would miss some aspects of it if it's taken out. Limited types of units would also be a bore unless justified by historical accuracy needs. So.... we'll see.  :coolsmiley:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mikeck

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 14, 2016, 10:22:16 PM
It does sound like they're dumbing-down the game some. I like the more complex nature of AGEOD's games would miss some aspects of it if it's taken out. Limited types of units would also be a bore unless justified by historical accuracy needs. So.... we'll see.  :coolsmiley:

I think they are going for the WIA feel. More streamlined than recent ones. MAY WORK out better

WallysWorld

panzerde

If you enjoy the period, this is going to be a good game.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres