Matrix World in Flames

Started by JudgeDredd, June 26, 2014, 12:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asid

You need a lot of screen real estate.

Has anyone here actually played a game to completion? Has anyone here played multilayer?

War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Grim.Reaper

I think at one point they admitted that even during play testing nobody completed the long version of the game....just leaves open the concern that Jd said...very likely more issues to be found when you get there.

smittyohio

Only Matrix purchase I've ever regretted, and I've bought waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many.   I've bought many that I haven't played much, but I admire the work done on them and just need to put more effort into them.   It's been 2 years and they still can't get NetPlay working.  The few people actually playing are either playing solitaire or with crazy workarounds for multiplayer.  By thread activity, the game should be off their main page, and it certainly shouldn't still be $100.

The only thing I admire about MWiF is the (seemingly futile) effort of the lone developer.     

TacticalWargames

Sure I read when an AI is done you have to pay for it..

Zulu1966

Quote from: smittyohio on December 02, 2015, 07:08:23 PM
Only Matrix purchase I've ever regretted, and I've bought waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many.   I've bought many that I haven't played much, but I admire the work done on them and just need to put more effort into them.   It's been 2 years and they still can't get NetPlay working.  The few people actually playing are either playing solitaire or with crazy workarounds for multiplayer.  By thread activity, the game should be off their main page, and it certainly shouldn't still be $100.

The only thing I admire about MWiF is the (seemingly futile) effort of the lone developer.   

Yes - you have to admire his dedication - but I am wondering if by now he isn't stuck in his own version of hell and would rather just end it - though perhaps honour prevents him from doing so.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Zulu1966 on December 03, 2015, 04:02:09 AM
Quote from: smittyohio on December 02, 2015, 07:08:23 PM

Yes - you have to admire his dedication - but I am wondering if by now he isn't stuck in his own version of hell and would rather just end it - though perhaps honour prevents him from doing so.

I imagine when you have put so much of your work into it and it is a passion, tough to throw in the towel, especially if he does for a hobby.  really nothing for him to lose since they keep on selling any way besides sleep:)

I do wonder if he truly believes the game can be reasonably error free some day....

Staggerwing

I think it's a matter of resources. With a gifted coder working away for years already Matrix may have thought that they could get another steady revenue monster like WITP with little to no investment of their own besides PR. Instead they actually got a complicated monster that was entirely subject to it's original creator's coding personality. I'm thinking that once some of their own coders took a look and reported back the prospect of adding more people who would then basically have to learn the whole thing before being able to add anything became less than financially feasible.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Grim.Reaper

Just out of curiosity, checked the first discussions abut this game was in 2004 and that post indicated matrix announced the start of the game in October 2003.  11-12 year development cycle (and far from done) seems like it could hardly be a good return on investment for any software, especially with all the technology and innovation changes over that time period.  Guessing they have very friendly agreement in place with this developer:)

JudgeDredd

Hence the mahoosive price tag for a broken game

I still think it looks great and I still like the impulses. I just wish I had faith it would ever be a) fixed b) playable and, more importantly for me c) a reasonable AI

But I honestly suspect all those are far reaching.

Also - regarding it's price (and current price) - you could very well argue there's not enough working game there to justify even the sale price - but Matrix hands are tied. They couldn't possibly (even if they wanted) put the price down. That is evident from their refusal to charge their normal discounted price for a non physical version.

• They can't pull it from their store saying it's not a working game yet
  • They can't reduce the price too much because of what the community paid for a considerably more broken game than it is now

All they can really do is sell it as a broken game with the "Buyer Beware" tag. That way they can sell it for what they need to sell it for, not upset the community AND not have to pull selling it.

I love(d) Matrix - but honestly - the ball was dropped massively on this one - and still is.

I am buying an AI module for it though when (if) one ever gets released - though if they think I'll be paying anything near what they charged for this, they would be sorely mistaken.  :knuppel2:
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

does it have a buyer beware tag though or is it sat on the top shelf as one of their premier games

and the price cannot drop also until all those shiny manuals have been paid for

Grim.Reaper

They do have a link to the state of the game post on their web site....so that is a start.  I think most new people should be aware of its state, people I feel bad the most are the people who pre ordered or bought shortly after not knowing we were 4000 bugs away from being stable.  Really thought matrix should have at the time offered refunds to those who wanted them.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 03, 2015, 07:57:09 AM
Hence the mahoosive price tag for a broken game

I still think it looks great and I still like the impulses. I just wish I had faith it would ever be a) fixed b) playable and, more importantly for me c) a reasonable AI

But I honestly suspect all those are far reaching.

Also - regarding it's price (and current price) - you could very well argue there's not enough working game there to justify even the sale price - but Matrix hands are tied. They couldn't possibly (even if they wanted) put the price down. That is evident from their refusal to charge their normal discounted price for a non physical version.

• They can't pull it from their store saying it's not a working game yet
  • They can't reduce the price too much because of what the community played for a considerably more broken game than it is now

All they can really do is sell it as a broken game with the "Buyer Beware" tag. That way they can sell it for what they need to sell it for, not upset the community AND not have to pull selling it.

I love(d) Matrix - but honestly - the ball was dropped massively on this one - and still is.

I am buying an AI module for it though when (if) one ever gets released - though if they think I'll be paying anything near what they charged for this, they would be sorely mistaken.  :knuppel2:

Would love an ai, but I have to imagine implementing a monster ai would be even more complicated then implementing the rules and other gaming guts.....really have no hope it will ever be done and may not even be operational on modern operating systems by the time it is:)

BigBlueFleet

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 03, 2015, 08:19:36 AM

Would love an ai, but I have to imagine implementing a monster ai would be even more complicated then implementing the rules and other gaming guts.....really have no hope it will ever be done and may not even be operational on modern operating systems by the time it is:)

I'd be surprised if a competent or even bad AI  was ever released for this game. Too many times the euphoria of release has swept me along like a rip tide and I made a regrettable purchase.  The counters are gorgeous (and almost sucked me in) but IMO the map and interface look like anything but a premium game. For years I've entertained myself against poor AIs by having my own house rules so I can understand people that love MWIF solo play even though I'm not sold.

IMO the ship has sailed on that title, there's just too many great games from superb developers and new ones on the horizon vying for the entertainment coin.

Best of luck gaming my friends!!  :)

Toonces

I'm going to give you guys the best advice you're ever going to get:

When/if an AI module is released for this game, DO NOT BUY IT for AT LEAST ONE MONTH.  Yes, I put that in all caps.  Let some other suckers players buy it first and play it for a month to see how it works.

You guys need to trust ole Toonces on this one.  Be smart and do the right thing.  Especially YOU JD!   8)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Toonces on December 03, 2015, 12:20:05 PM
I'm going to give you guys the best advice you're ever going to get:

When/if an AI module is released for this game, DO NOT BUY IT for AT LEAST ONE MONTH.  Yes, I put that in all caps.  Let some other suckers players buy it first and play it for a month to see how it works.

You guys need to trust ole Toonces on this one.  Be smart and do the right thing.  Especially YOU JD!   8)

Well, IF an ai module is ever available and it's not free for people who invested in a broken $100 game, then you won't have to worry about me ever considering a purchase :)