Game Camp in Cary, NC

Started by bayonetbrant, July 19, 2016, 01:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

So I'm running a day camp for gamers here in Raleigh Cary at The Gamer's Armory

What have we played so far?

Monday:  2x Tiny Epic Kingdoms, 2x Eight Minute Empire, Ticket to Ride, 2x Pokemon TCG, 2x Villagers & Villains, half of a Pathfinder adventure, Geek Out

Tuesday: (so far) Ticket to Ride, The Ancient World, Eight Minute Empire, the other half of the Pathfinder Adventure, Warhammer - Age of Sigmar, and an all-morning long mixed-minis make-the-rules-up-as-they-went-along A&A minis vs D&D minis that was pretty hilarious to watch

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Boggit

Sounds fun. How's it going?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bayonetbrant

The kids had a lot of fun, and I was snooping on my son's phone where he was texting one of the girls who was there, and she told him she rated it 10/10

We had a total of 8 kids.
Brother + sister, plus her 2 friends
2 brothers
my son
another stray kid

We played a bunch of different stuff on Monday - made them pick a game they'd never played at least once each

Tuesday we did terrain board, with them making up a minis game (pics above) using A&A minis vs D&D minis; in the afternoon they learned how to play Warhammer and had fun with it

Wednesday I made everyone start off with things they'd never played, and try a bunch of new stuff, so we had some Pathfinder, Dominion, Timeline, The Ancient World, 7 Wonders, Castellan, alternate boards for Ticket to Ride, and others

Thursday we started with some small games, then from 1030-1400 or so they paired off and had to design their own games, so we had 4 different games to playtest that afternoon - everyone had to play everyone else's games to see what they thought.
-- a press-your-luck cards-and-dice game of birds trying to get seeds from the bird feeder while avoiding the squirrels
-- a checkerboard-based kingdoms-at-war game that used a standard deck of cards for actions (movement, attack, regain health, etc) that could play all 4 suits.
-- a cockroaches-racing-to-the-dinner-table game
-- a flagbearers-racing-to-the-castle game with other pawns running interference for the flagbearers that mixed chess pieces with a generic castle map

Friday morning we had a guest GM come in and run a basic Star Wars adventure for 5 of them, while the other 3 played Jamaica, and then I let them play whatever they wanted for the afternoon, so there was some Warhammer, Munchkin, Dominion, and Ticket to Ride again
The store put together some simple gift bags for the kids with some Free RPG Day giveaways, a set of dice, a sprue of 3 Space Marines, some older White Dwarf magazines, and some stray comic books.

Each day we took a snack break around 1030 and another around 1430.  We had the store to ourselves from 0830 - 1100 each day b/c they weren't open to customers then.  Lunch around noon, kids all gone my 1630 each day.

Overall it went well, and if my work situation allows, we'll definitely do it again next year.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers