New Traveller Boardgame

Started by besilarius, July 17, 2018, 06:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

http://daringplay.com/

Have heard some good things about:
Traveller Ascension, Imperial Warrant.  The game is being demonstrated at Origins so I am no longer required to be silent about it.  The short of it is, this is a great game!  I have not had this much fun playing a new game since the world was young.
It is during the expansion period of the Third Imperium.   You represent a faction of Nobles and Corporations that have an Imperial Warrant to expand the Imperium.  From a world on the edge of imperial space, you focus your resources of wealth, Diplomats, Shadow Agents, Scouts, Starships and Troops.
Your goal is simple.  Bring developed worlds, lost in the 1,000 years of the long night, back into the Imperium.  But there is a catch.  The Emperor requires that this be an honorable endeavor.  He is interested in planets that can stand on their own, and not a empire of slaves.  So your efforts must be one on improving the lot of the lost planets, not one military conquest.
To start, you lay out the sub sector of stars.  Each star has a system that connects  to six other points of the map.  You explore the stars via a combination of scouts, which discover the quality of the world present, rated A-D.  Then you send in a Shadow Agent to conduct "Planetfall".  This determines the major societies present, tech level and resources.  Finally you make official contact with a Diplomat, and make arrangements for a Legation.  Once official contact is made, you can initiate a series of trade deals and system improvements until the time is ripe to bring the system into the Imperium.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bbmike

Very interesting! I love me some Traveller. :smitten:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Dammit Carl!

Oh man...imagine now linking a game of this to a Traveller rpg session in some way.  That thought jiggers my jump points!

bayonetbrant

The guys at Lost Battalion Games had it on one of their demo tables in their booth

There are some pictures of it in the Origins photo galleries
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on July 17, 2018, 12:10:12 PM
How did I miss that?  :o

too much fun playing Time of Crisis?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers