What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I've currently just finished Red Storm Rising. I believe that's the second time I've read that book.

I ought to stop re-reading books because it takes me an age to read (as I only read when I go to bed and therefore, tired). It took me 6 months to read the book - and it certainly didn't take me that long the first time I read it.

Next up? The Wild Geese I think.
Alba gu' brath

airboy

Quote from: Greybriar on April 15, 2016, 10:16:07 PM
I just started reading We Were Soldiers Once...and Young: Ia Drang-The Battle That Changed the War in Vietnam by Lt. Gen. Harold G. Moore (Ret.) and Joseph L. Galloway.

General Moore is a member of my parish in Auburn.

airboy

I've finished a bunch of (mostly, non-military) books recently.

Silence by Mercades Lackey - modern, dark young adult fantasy.  I would give it a pass.
Shattered Sword about Midway - very good if you are interested in Midway.  Learned quite a bit.
Changeling Isle - a young adult book with light fantasy.  Coming of age of a young male who is sent to live with his half-blind grandmother in a remote island off of Australia.  Very pleasant and fun read.

Pinetree

Red Phoenix Burning by Larry Bond. North Korea implodes and the South invades. Really enjoying it so far. I'd read Red Phoenix back in the day so it's great seeing some of the old characters back.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

airboy

Quote from: Pinetree on May 01, 2016, 10:14:17 PM
Red Phoenix Burning by Larry Bond. North Korea implodes and the South invades. Really enjoying it so far. I'd read Red Phoenix back in the day so it's great seeing some of the old characters back.

How is that book?  I read Red Phoenix two or three times and still own the hardback.  Is the quality of the sequel as good as the original?

JasonPratt

Quote from: airboy on May 01, 2016, 12:03:32 PM
General Moore is a member of my parish in Auburn.

Wow!  :o O0

Quote from: Greybriar on April 30, 2016, 02:04:07 PM
I purchased the movie and will watch it once I've finished reading the book to see how true it is to the events in the book--if I can, that is; it may be too much for me.

The movie is more than a little intense in spots. I'm not sure it was a good idea for my Dad to watch it. (At the time we didn't realize that he had been involved in secret spec op support for teams in-country before the draft started; he'd help crew choppers flying in from offshore to bring supplies, evac wounded.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Pinetree

Quote from: airboy on May 02, 2016, 08:55:28 AM

How is that book?  I read Red Phoenix two or three times and still own the hardback.  Is the quality of the sequel as good as the original?

I'm not even halfway through it yet so it's hard to make a judgement, but from what I've read so far, yes. A lot of the old characters are back and then there are the new ones who have connections back to the first book.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Pinetree on May 03, 2016, 06:48:25 AM
Quote from: airboy on May 02, 2016, 08:55:28 AM

I've been eyeing this one. Thanks Pinetree!
I'm not even halfway through it yet so it's hard to make a judgement, but from what I've read so far, yes. A lot of the old characters are back and then there are the new ones who have connections back to the first book.

mirth

I wasn't a huge fan of Red Phoenix, but I did recently reread it (well I skimmed it). Tempted to check out the sequel.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Greybriar

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 02, 2016, 10:59:59 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on April 30, 2016, 02:04:07 PM

I purchased the movie and will watch it once I've finished reading the book to see how true it is to the events in the book--if I can, that is; it may be too much for me.

The movie is more than a little intense in spots. I'm not sure it was a good idea for my Dad to watch it. (At the time we didn't realize that he had been involved in secret spec op support for teams in-country before the draft started; he'd help crew choppers flying in from offshore to bring supplies, evac wounded.)

I just finished watching the movie. It had its moments but the book is more complete. Perhaps it was seeing those Hueys that got to your dad.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

I must have read Red Phoenix 25 years ago...I barely remember it. Was it the book where N. Korea invaded the south mainly through tunnels?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Just finished, "War At The End Of The World" by James Duffy about the WWII in New Guinea. Great book, lots of details from both sides though Duffy comes-off as a bit of a Mc Arthur Fan-boy. And again, very few decent maps to follow the action--- my pet peeve. Next up is, "Scipio Africanius" by B.H. Liddell Hart. When I got this book, I knew Hart had been dead for some time now but I didn't realize he wrote this book in 1926!. So it probably has some people in it that were actually with Scipio at the time.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Quote from: Gusington on May 03, 2016, 05:04:15 PM
I must have read Red Phoenix 25 years ago...I barely remember it. Was it the book where N. Korea invaded the south mainly through tunnels?

Yes.  Red Phoenix came out close to Red Storm Rising - a better book.  Still, Red Phoenix was a fun read.

airboy

I'm about half way through "The Fall of Japan" by William Craig.

I've not been that impressed.  But I've read American Caesar and the Rising Sun by Toland which cover the end of the war in a more interesting fashion.  I think I had too much background knowledge to appreciate The Fall of Japan which is more of a broad overview.  Some of the diplomatic maneuvers with Japan in late 1944 to May 1945 are weird due to the psyche of the Japanese military and civilian leadership.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Greybriar on May 03, 2016, 02:49:32 PM
I just finished watching the movie. It had its moments but the book is more complete. Perhaps it was seeing those Hueys that got to your dad.

The wounded on the Huey evacs. And how they got wounded (which naturally he was rarely there to see).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!