From Russia With Love GB (Su-27SM)

Started by JudgeDredd, January 16, 2016, 02:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Ubercat on April 29, 2016, 07:11:00 PM
This is a pretty late response, JD. Sorry, it's the first time I'm looking at the thread.

For the hand shaking problem, try painting close to your face and rest the back end of the brush on your cheek as you work. That always worked for me. It also helps you see the detail work you're doing better, unless you happen to be far sighted!
Thanks for the tip Uber. It has gotten worse over the last few years that gives me some concern for my hobby.

I have a little head piece with variable lenses on them which helps hugely with seeing small pieces
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001MJ0JW2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: Ubercat on April 29, 2016, 07:11:00 PM
This is a pretty late response, JD. Sorry, it's the first time I'm looking at the thread.

For the hand shaking problem, try painting close to your face and rest the back end of the brush on your cheek as you work. That always worked for me. It also helps you see the detail work you're doing better, unless you happen to be far sighted!

I'm far-sighted, so use something different.

For detailing, I use this.. 

Rest my elbows, placed together or somewhat close to each other, on the steady table top.  Then place my wrists together, brush in one hand and model in the other.  With your wrists together and resting on the sturdy surface, it's easier to make small precise brush movements without shaking or slips. 

You can probably notice the difference in stability just by doing it on your table right now.  O0

It may take a bit more time to reposition & rotate the model around, but this lends me the most control without having to get my eyes too close.

JudgeDredd

Thanks Nef. All things I am learning to do.

I don't know if it's old age or lots of years of overindulgence  >:D  Likely a combination
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Painting would be so much easier if not for the fucking palsy! 

:D

JudgeDredd

Well - it's been a while.

I was on a spurt back in the last few days of March 2016 to get this completed for a group build competition called From Russia With Love over at International Scale Modeller - and was so stressed out doing it, decided not only to drop it but also not take part in any group builds anymore.

It wasn't the competitions fault - it was mine, leaving the model sitting for weeks and trying to get it completed in the last week and completely underestimating the difficulty (not to be confused with complexity) of Revell models. They are cheap for a reason.

Anyway - I couldn't throw it away...I'm not like that...and I couldn't go on to another model...I'm not like that...but I also couldn't face picking it up again through the year. So the result was not only did I not get this completed last year, but I never did anymore modelling last year.

However, this year I've decided I'm going to get it done. I have no idea how long it's going to take and I have no idea how it's going to turn out. It's been sitting around for a long time, it's covered in dust, I've assembled bits before painting (the engines should've been masked around before putting the tails on) and I pulled out the cotton wool I had stuck on the cockpit to keep it covered whilst I painted it - not realising it was going to leave so much fluff behind - bad move.

So it's going to be a pita - and that's why I've put it off.

So - as I said - I'm going to finish it. If I end up ruining it, then I can throw it - but I'm not throwing it until I've attempted to complete it. In other words, I'm not just throwing it so I can move on - I think I'd be setting an expensive precedent.

So here it is in it's current state. I've re-masked the canopy and stuck it on as the cockpit was done anyway. I'll be painting a black stripe (anti-glare?) on the front of the cockpit and the canopy itself. I'll also paint the engines and hopefully, somehow, mask them up so I can paint the rest of the model. I'll be doing a light grey/dark grey/black camo pattern

So - we'll see how this ends up. It's a beautiful plane and I'd love it to turn out right rather than throw it away.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Oh - the aircraft is painted with acrylic black primer and covered in dust and greasy finger marks - what should I used to clean it? White spirit? Baby wipes (as they have alcohol in them)?
Alba gu' brath

Ubercat

Egads, I don't know. You could try the alcohol wipes. If they end up taking some primer off you could carefully do another coat (after the alcohol evaporates!).
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

JudgeDredd

Thanks Uber. Wet wipe = no good. It's leaving strands of material behind.

So I'll try some white spirit and a cloth
Alba gu' brath

Bison

I guess I don't understand the issue.  Are you not painting over the primer?

JudgeDredd

Yes, but it's covered in dust and greasy marks from fat, burger eating fingers.

So I need to give the model a wipe with something before spraying any paint anywhere near it
Alba gu' brath

Bison

Nefaro

I suppose you're trying to get rid of the fingerprint ridges, and any other such goop that may stick up and show through some light painting.

Don't think I'd recommend alcohol.  Would expect that to create it's own problems on the primer.

Perhaps just using one of those non-paper smooth cloths meant for wiping LED/LCD tv screens clean?   Because they don't leave any of that annoying paper residue.   Just not sure if using liquid on your primer would be a great idea, though. 

I don't think those dry-wipe LCD cloth wipes are meant to be used that way, but instead are meant to lift dust & such off the surface without wetting.

Edit:

like a Microfiber cloth?

The ones that feel like cloth, but slightly rubbery?

or just one of the disposable screen cleaners?

mirth

Use a very fine grit sandpaper and scuff it lightly. Then reapply the primer.

Not that I know anything about modeling that warrants me giving advice.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

I think this is being over thought.  Use some canned air to blow of dust and use a microfiber cloth to wipe it down.  I just cannot imagine some finger print grease doing much to ruin the next coat of paint.  Many people hold their minis during painting without affecting the paint job.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Bison on January 16, 2017, 07:05:22 PM
I think this is being over thought.  Use some canned air to blow of dust and use a microfiber cloth to wipe it down.  I just cannot imagine some finger print grease doing much to ruin the next coat of paint.  Many people hold their minis during painting without affecting the paint job.

Pretty much what I was thinking. After removing the dust use a clean eyeglasses cloth to wipe off excess oils. Then paint right over the rest.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys