Author Topic: A Question for the Readers  (Read 1952 times)

Offline bayonetbrant

• Chief Arrogance Mitigator
  • Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
A Question for the Readers
« on: March 05, 2012, 08:49:39 AM »
Most sites focus reviews, AARs, etc, on current/new games.

However, in the wargaming world, tabletop games can last for decades and still be good games when dusted off again.

Would you want to see reviews/articles about older games?  Or should we be focusing on the current ones?

There are no wrong answers, but please include some "why" with your answer, not just a "yes" or "no" (which is why this isn't a poll...)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
Re: A Question for the Readers
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 09:11:52 AM »
As staff, I'm not sure if my comments are welcome in this thread, but I'm obviously a gamer with a strong opinion, as well.

Anyway, content, in my opinion, should focus on both new and old games alike.  While previews/reviews will most frequently focus on new releases, old games are commonly discussed in our forums so there is definitely interest in seeing content based on older titles.  While these pieces can be reviews, as well, I see AARs, interviews, stories, PBEM/MP accounts, etc. as being the most exciting focus for older titles.

And with sites like GOG.com, interest in older games is not just for the boardgaming crowd.  We electronic gamers like to roll old-school too.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Offline Barthheart

• Order of the Square Button
  • Arquebusier
  • Looking for dark matter in deep, dark holes....
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 09:18:13 AM »
As staff, I'm not sure if my comments are welcome in this thread, but I'm obviously a gamer with a strong opinion, as well.

Anyway, content, in my opinion, should focus on both new and old games alike.  While previews/reviews will most frequently focus on new releases, old games are commonly discussed in our forums so there is definitely interest in seeing content based on older titles.  While these pieces can be reviews, as well, I see AARs, interviews, stories, PBEM/MP accounts, etc. as being the most exciting focus for older titles.

And with sites like GOG.com, interest in older games is not just for the boardgaming crowd.  We electronic gamers like to roll old-school too.

+1
Well said.
PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

I'm not a drunk, I'm just Canadian - Shawn Germain

Offline Martok

• Arquebusier
  • Gah!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 11:00:35 AM »

+2  Couldn't have said it better myself. 

"I just need to add enough bourbon." - mirth

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

Offline republic

• Viking
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 03:57:38 PM »
I'm in agreement with these guys.  Actually the thing that is truly lacking on the interwebs, is a site that will review a game after the patches are in and the dust has settled.  Paradox games especially change so much with patches, I think post patch reviews would be a great niche.

As other have mentioned GoG is really bringing a older gaming renaissance.  I personally somehow missed out on the Jagged Alliance craze, I blame lack of internet at the time.  I plan to pick up Jagged Alliance 2 along with the community patch with the Amazon credit I'm getting for buying Mass Effect 3.

Some of my favorite Three Moves Ahead podcasts are where they sit and reminisce about an old game.

I really enjoyed the boardgame review as well, I don't think there's ever enough boardgame reviews on the internet  :)

Epee1

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 05:53:41 PM »
I agree with everyone including the troglodyte bearded guy.  8)

Offline TheCommandTent

• Crossbowman
  • On your left flank!
    • The Command Tent
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 05:54:37 PM »
I also agree to with everyone's posts above me.  But I'll elaborate a little.

I definitely want content on new and up coming games so it can help me make informed decisions on what to purchase and what I might enjoy.  I think most people are in agreement on that.

I also would like to see content on older games.  I am younger wargamer who is still fairly new to the whole scene and I know I've missed lots of good stuff that's come before me.  I really am not exposed to it except through the interaction with more experience wargamers.  So I look with interest to content about things that other wise aren't currently in vogue.
“No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is.”

Offline Staggerwing

• Arquebusier
  • "Today your love... tomorrow the World!"
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 06:01:06 PM »

Reviewing old games is a great idea. Some of us who never got the chance to play some
of the 'classic' board games are curious as to what we missed all these years ago. Ditto Minis.
Reviewing old computer games such as Fallout and Baldur's Gate serve much the same purpose.
And I think that reviewing iconic Role Playing games would also be quite an eye opener. I've never
played a round of D&D or Traveler and have no frame of reference as to the experience.
Vituđ ér enn - eđa hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

Offline mirth

• Tercio
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 09:56:36 AM »
I like the idea of a "Retro Review" section. Maybe it could be a monthly thing and have a mix of old board and electronic games reviewed. I'd also recommend that any older games that are reviewed still be relatively easy to obtain. I think it would be frustrating to read a review of some old gem that can only be found on ebay for $300.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can’t ‘un’ until you ‘pre’, son." - Gus

Offline Centurion40

• Captain Obvious
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 12:03:24 PM »

Agreed.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Offline Mr. Bigglesworth

• Crossbowman
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 07:29:50 PM »

Hey! I havent even posted yet.

If someone is enjoying an old game there is something about it that is worth sharing. The site is not about pushing crap, like most magazines on any topic, it is about the best qualities of games. Lets hear it.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598