Author Topic: Scary, but true...  (Read 16122 times)

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
Re: Scary, but true...
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 04:05:55 PM »
^I'm still dedicated to moderating over there too.  I just don't really have much incentive to actively participate.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Offline Steelgrave

• The Boobfather
  • Global Moderator
  • Blunderbuster
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 04:11:46 PM »
That's my take on it as well, JH. Even though this already feels more like home. Of course, there isn't much to moderate here so far!  :-)

and no....that is not a suggestion to import troublemakers.
"Nice job, Steelie. I think you've offended everyone in this thread"  O0  .......Mirth

"-- insert Steelie rant here--"......Sir Slash

Offline Gusington

• The Pantsless Horseman
  • Global Moderator
  • Musketeer
  • You must be at most 'this tall' to ride the Gus.
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2012, 05:23:50 PM »
I do like Sigma as well, he's just not around enough. And obviously I handed in my mod staff there long ago and now have this shiny new one  :)
"Dude, haiku that.”

- bbmike

Offline Centurion40

• Captain Obvious
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2012, 06:11:02 PM »
As scary as it sounds, with all of you guys here, I feel like there is almost no reason to go back to the wargamer...this is making me very emotional.

I was sticking around for two reasons. One is that Sigma is a good guy and is doing the best he could with a crappy hand. He went to bat for JH and myself more than once and backed us the best he could. The other reason is, like the fictional bar in Cheers, all my friends were there. Now all my friends are here, so my reasons just got cut in half.

I don't see it as "all or nothing" or "either or".  I can here, or there, or somewhere else.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2012, 06:24:44 PM »
I do like Sigma as well, he's just not around enough. And obviously I handed in my mod staff there long ago and now have this shiny new one  :)

I think they claim you were "let go."  Just sayin'.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Offline LongBlade

• Unsanctioned Psyker
  • Blunderbuster
  • No Regerts
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
Heh. Funny how that works.

Offline son_of_montfort

• Ego rex Jerusalem et Sicilie, comitatus Provincie et Folcalquierii
  • Crossbowman
  • The Electronic Eremite
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2012, 06:39:09 PM »
As scary as it sounds, with all of you guys here, I feel like there is almost no reason to go back to the wargamer...this is making me very emotional.

I was sticking around for two reasons. One is that Sigma is a good guy and is doing the best he could with a crappy hand. He went to bat for JH and myself more than once and backed us the best he could. The other reason is, like the fictional bar in Cheers, all my friends were there. Now all my friends are here, so my reasons just got cut in half.

I'll be honest, I was worried about the validity of this place for a few days... but that seems to be completely reversed in the last 24 hours or so!

I'm feeling like this is a fresh start!

Someone also needs to privately explain the He Who Shall Not Be Named thing to me...
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we’ll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Offline Staggerwing

• Arquebusier
  • "Today your love... tomorrow the World!"
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2012, 07:15:11 PM »

Someone also needs to privately explain the He Who Shall Not Be Named thing to me...

What's the whole deallio with how things work at WG above the level of the visible mods?
Is there a kind of 'board' that decides what bit of forum software needs breaking that week?
Or is there some kind of ego bumper-car process that creates results in the same way a room
full of live mousetraps with a bucket of ping pong balls thrown into it will eventually arrive at a
steady-state after an unpredictable period of being non-OSHA compliant?
Vituđ ér enn - eđa hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

Offline Steelgrave

• The Boobfather
  • Global Moderator
  • Blunderbuster
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2012, 07:27:57 PM »
As entertaining as all of those thoughts are, Stagger, I think it's mostly not wanting to spend money on the site coupled with not really caring. And I'm talking ownership, not the guys you see on the board every day. The old site needed work, but the new? In many ways the new doesn't work as well as the old. I'm not playing violins here, but it was incredibly frustrating to have members PM me asking for help, and all I could do was pass it upstairs. Hell, for the last few months, half of our moderator superpowers weren't working at any given time. An exercise in frustration, to be sure.
"Nice job, Steelie. I think you've offended everyone in this thread"  O0  .......Mirth

"-- insert Steelie rant here--"......Sir Slash

Offline LongBlade

• Unsanctioned Psyker
  • Blunderbuster
  • No Regerts
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2012, 07:35:47 PM »
As entertaining as all of those thoughts are, Stagger, I think it's mostly not wanting to spend money on the site coupled with not really caring. And I'm talking ownership, not the guys you see on the board every day. The old site needed work, but the new? In many ways the new doesn't work as well as the old. I'm not playing violins here, but it was incredibly frustrating to have members PM me asking for help, and all I could do was pass it upstairs. Hell, for the last few months, half of our moderator superpowers weren't working at any given time. An exercise in frustration, to be sure.

That is exactly in line with what I would expect.

Any shots I have taken at WG as it now exists are not aimed at either the mods or Scott/immediate management. This is solely the cause of the owners, and Slitherine has zero interest in investing any amount of money in it. Even a moment's time is time that distracts them from the business of making money. Therefore expect things to continue to slowly degrade.

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2012, 07:41:41 PM »

We were essentially hall monitors for a couple of months.  But it looks like things are getting sort of back on track now.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Offline LongBlade

• Unsanctioned Psyker
  • Blunderbuster
  • No Regerts
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2012, 07:57:03 PM »

What's the whole deallio with how things work at WG above the level of the visible mods?
Is there a kind of 'board' that decides what bit of forum software needs breaking that week?
Or is there some kind of ego bumper-car process that creates results in the same way a room
full of live mousetraps with a bucket of ping pong balls thrown into it will eventually arrive at a
steady-state after an unpredictable period of being non-OSHA compliant?

I like to think they throw some percentile dice. Whatever number gets coughed up they delete that line of code for a few days.

Offline Windigo

• Arquebusier
  • Buy Starfury Beer - help ugly goats get action.
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2012, 08:40:16 PM »

I'll be honest, I was worried about the validity of this place for a few days... but that seems to be completely reversed in the last 24 hours or so!

I'm feeling like this is a fresh start!

HINTS (take your pick)

• Harry Potter... Duh!
  • The ... you know... the man! Clint!!!!
  • Pseudo-Italian Stallion/Man who lusts after your buns in green lycra
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Offline Toonces

• Longbowman
  • Yvan eht nioj!
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2012, 10:33:29 PM »
I honestly had no idea all this drama was taking place over there.  Man I really need up my perception rolls from now on.

Anyway, Wargamer was sort of my go-to website when I come onto the net.  I only have a half dozen websites I visit in a day so losing one is a bummer. 

Anyway, I guess I'll stick around and see where this all goes.  I sure hope this forum software works better than Wargamer's...that was really frustrating.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

"Maybe the slightly sullen look is blaming you for making her feel dirty, wanting to be hot. Yes, it's your fault." - Biggs (again)

"That's what you get when you are getting older and less sober as I am." - SirAndrewD

"Toonces Drunk - (adj) Tooh-nsays Dru-nk Descr:  Smash into a room, insult all your friends, fall asleep for 2 days, naked, face down wearing nothing but ALL your watches on one arm."  - UCG

Offline Martok

• Arquebusier
  • Gah!
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2012, 03:08:27 AM »
Like others here, I doubt I'll abandon the WG entirely.  However, it's safe to say I won't be spending near as much time there anymore, at least s long as all you fellas are here! 

I honestly had no idea all this drama was taking place over there.  Man I really need up my perception rolls from now on.

Anyway, Wargamer was sort of my go-to website when I come onto the net.  I only have a half dozen websites I visit in a day so losing one is a bummer. 

Anyway, I guess I'll stick around and see where this all goes.  I sure hope this forum software works better than Wargamer's...that was really frustrating.

Hey Toonces!  Glad you made it over here.  :) 

I wouldn't be too concerned about needing to "up your perception rolls", though.  Most of the discontent -- at least where it was obviously visible -- was down in R&P, which (if memory serves) you haven't visited that much. 

"I just need to add enough bourbon." - mirth

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy