Author Topic: Getting logged out  (Read 3064 times)

Offline Martok

• Arquebusier
  • Gah!
Getting logged out
« on: February 17, 2012, 07:58:50 AM »
Dammit, the same thing's happening here now that was happening over at WG:  I'm having to re-login whenever I visit the GH forums.  (Note:  This only started happening after the front page was changed/updated.)  Help please? 

« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:06:23 AM by Martok »
"I just need to add enough bourbon." - mirth

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

Offline bayonetbrant

• Chief Arrogance Mitigator
  • Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
Re: Getting logged out
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 08:18:16 AM »
The front page and the forums are completely disconnected, other than a link from one to the other.  The codebases do not touch each other so that should not have caused any issues.  We'll see what we can find under the hood, but LongBlade is our normal fix-it guy, and he's off the grid for much of the weekend dealing w/ family issues at his mom's.  Please bear with us a few days while we sort it out, but we'll get it sorted out for you.  :D

Have you checked your own browser settings to see if there was a change in cookies or some other similar issue on your end (just trying to cover all the bases!)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline Centurion40

• Captain Obvious
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 09:02:21 AM »
Dammit, the same thing's happening here now that was happening over at WG:  I'm having to re-login whenever I visit the GH forums.  (Note:  This only started happening after the front page was changed/updated.)  Help please?

It's Bill Murray using his magic on you!  ;)
Any time is a good time for pie.

Offline Martok

• Arquebusier
  • Gah!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 11:20:26 AM »
I didn't mess with the cookies settings, I know that.  However, I did make the following changes to my browser settings a few days ago (this is with FireFox): 

1.)  It now only remembers my browsing history for 30 days (down from...180, I think?). 

2.)  I disabled "remember download history". 

3.)  I disabled "remember search and form history". 

...Crap.  It's #3, isn't it? 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Offline Martok

• Arquebusier
  • Gah!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 05:48:16 AM »
Nope, that wasn't it.  I'm still having to re-login every time I come here now. 

Offline Double Deuce

• Viking
  • East Tennessee
    • Combat Campaigns
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 07:32:39 AM »
Nope, that wasn't it.  I'm still having to re-login every time I come here now.

I'm seeing something like that too when I come back to the forums. It shows me logged out BUT if I hit the Home button, it logs me right back in without having to re-enter anything. I don't have the passwords saved anywhere on my machine or browser but since its letting me right back in it that indicates I'm still on an active server session. Just seeing that "not logged in screen" each time I come back is odd but I'm not having to actually log back in.

Offline LongBlade

• Unsanctioned Psyker
  • Blunderbuster
  • No Regerts
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 09:07:07 AM »
On it. Let me look around and get back with you guys.

Offline LongBlade

• Unsanctioned Psyker
  • Blunderbuster
  • No Regerts
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 09:23:42 AM »
OK, I think I may have the issue figured out. If not, kindly clarify and I'll continue to look into it.

When you first login you have the option to stay continually logged in. If you do not check that box the default length of a session will timeout in 60 minutes.

You can change the length of time before the timeout, as can I. Personally, I think a default timeout value of an hour is reasonable, but I will be happy to change it of we get some folks who have a reason to lengthen and/or shorten it.

Try working with those settings and let me know if it helps.

Keep in mind that each time you login you'll need to check that "Always Stay Logged In" box. This might be an issue if you're logging in from multiple computers (work & home, for instance).

Offline Double Deuce

• Viking
  • East Tennessee
    • Combat Campaigns
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 09:38:39 AM »
OK, I think I may have the issue figured out. If not, kindly clarify and I'll continue to look into it.

Hmm, I did that. I logged completely out, closed my browser came back, logged in using the always stay logged in box. Closed my browser, opened it back up and shows me not logged in. Clicked the Home button only and and get logged in without entering any information.

Just something I noticed here but on my personal sites where I run 2 SMF forums this doesn't crop up.  No need to dig into it if it's only me. What was that phrase Arsenio Hall coined way back when, "Things that make you go Hmm!".   ;)

Offline LongBlade

• Unsanctioned Psyker
  • Blunderbuster
  • No Regerts
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 10:03:55 AM »
Hmmm indeed.

I'll do some more reading.

Offline LongBlade

• Unsanctioned Psyker
  • Blunderbuster
  • No Regerts
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 10:24:01 AM »
OK, try this.

At the top left of each page should be a Quick Login:

When I logged in with this and then selected the login time as Forever, I then closed my browser tabs and reopened GrogHeads - this remembered me.

If that doesn't fix it, it may be a cookies/security setting on the browser.

Offline Martok

• Arquebusier
  • Gah!
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 01:43:48 PM »
OK, try this.

At the top left of each page should be a Quick Login:

When I logged in with this and then selected the login time as Forever, I then closed my browser tabs and reopened GrogHeads - this remembered me.

If that doesn't fix it, it may be a cookies/security setting on the browser.

This is what I'd already been doing (since my login problems started), but to no avail. 

On the other hand, I just discovered I can apparently use Gunnar Greybeard's trick of clicking on "Home" to automatically log me back in, so at least I've found a workaround (that isn't overly annoying). 

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:45:30 PM by Martok »

Offline LongBlade

• Unsanctioned Psyker
  • Blunderbuster
  • No Regerts
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 03:32:35 PM »
Hmmm.

OK.

Not to point out the obvious, but if you click "logout" you'll have to log back in.

I suspect it's a cookies setting somewhere.

Offline Martok

• Arquebusier
  • Gah!
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 03:50:03 PM »
Hmmm.

OK.

Not to point out the obvious, but if you click "logout" you'll have to log back in.

Undoubtedly.  However, I've never logged out of GH since joining up (and I chose the "stay logged in forever" option when I first registered). 

Given what little I know about forum software, I suspect you're correct.  Again, though, I haven't changed the cookie settings, so I'm utterly baffled as to how this could be. 

Offline LongBlade

• Unsanctioned Psyker
  • Blunderbuster
  • No Regerts
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 03:52:53 PM »
Hmmm.

OK.

Undoubtedly.  However, I've never logged out of GH since joining up (and I chose the "stay logged in forever" option when I first registered). 

Given what little I know about forum software, I suspect you're correct.  Again, though, I haven't changed the cookie settings, so I'm utterly baffled as to how this could be.

Well, I'm sorry I haven't been able to run this down further. If it becomes a widespread issue with lots of other users reporting problems then I'll open a support ticket and see if we can track it down and kill it.