Walking dead season 8

Started by ghostryder, October 25, 2017, 01:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I don't see TWD without both Rick and Daryl.

This past week's episode was the best of this half-season.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on December 06, 2017, 08:23:23 AM
I don't see TWD without both Rick and Daryl.

This past week's episode was the best of this half-season.

Agreed. And who would've thought an episode focused on Eugene would work so well?

Gusington

A couple of times there I thought Eugene was going to get his head smashed in.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ghostryder

You have to remember Darabount ain't around. it's gillian...and for the big plot gillian follows the comic. And if he doesn't there's always a nod to it. The last episode for example--there's a scene where Rick passes a group of zombies munching on one hanging with his foot caught in the runs of a ladder. That is in fact how gabriel get's killed in the comic...he slips and his ankle gets broke hanging on the ladder and he can't get lose- here though Gabriel get's the infection- which is also a comic plot point. It's not a walker infection, just a nasty one they now carry that will still kill you. Then there's the line "I believe in Rick Grimes". it didn't have the same impact here because a lower tier character utters it -- in the comic that's Maggie's line.

But the last episode surely looks like they are setting up the comic scene...if rick and negan end up facing this horde and rick says..."we can fight them together" Negan ain't dying. I could say more but I won't spoil it. But I have noticed unlike Darabount--Gillian is kinda lost without the comic. We can thank Darabount for a badass Carol--where the comic is always was meek and comitted suicide way back at the prison. Darabount swang far from it. Gillian basically follows it with small changes here and there. But i suspect if Darabount was still around so would Glen and abraham be- and this basic plot---which would have worked better if they had a scene explaining rick's plan--which is pretty simple..."we're box them in with a horde then i'll go get the trash people and we make them surrender" looked convoluted by all the time jumps and filler - to the point the first 5 episodes had everyone clueless- when in fact that awful simple plan could have been carried out in a single episode.

ghostryder

As a mid season final this has to top the list as the absolute worse. Scott Gimble simply has to go, along with his team of writers.

the final has so many WTF moments i'm not sure i could list them all, and these aren't the "Wow WTF! I totally didn't see that coming"...but rather "WTF! Didn't the writers watch last week's episode?"

The big Kill is Carl-- and everyone isn't surprised as the RL actor behind the scenes.- Chandler Riggs' own father who wrote on Facebook that he never trusted Gimple to begin with.

"Watching Gimple fire my son 2 weeks before his 18th birthday after telling him they wanted him for the next three years was disappointing," -- The last moment decision 'was to tighten what's to com" as if all of a sudden the writing counts. well -too bad they didn't try a little harder for this episode. Maggie and the Hilltop army are driving in the middle of the night to the Sanctuary to join up with Rick and everybody else and demand the Saviors' surrender. Why are they driving at night at all you ask? Don't know. Neither do the actors. worse. Nor the writers. So there they all are, guns primed on their way to war. However simon show up. Does anyone jump out to fight...uh no. They just give up with a wimper. Why? Don't know. Looked evenly matched to me. Besides, didn't negan tell Eugene they were out of bullets last episode and he needed to make some?. that's just amazing how fast they sprung back fully loaded. So simon shoots someone named Neil....whatever...and let's them go. yeah--another WTF .

So the Saviors miraculously coordinated a counter-offensive within hours of Daryl's misguided assault on the Sanctuary. Rick get betrayed yet again by the Trash people, Carl helps everyone retreat and Maggie continues to be the opposite of pregnant while the only offense we see at all is Daryl's ambush-- which is helped by Dwight.

In the end during the big reveal on carl---most was "Oh"...not the "oh...your dying" but rather..."Oh...so that's what all those seemingly pointless flashback scenes were about". Come Febuary will anyone care enough to watch?

trailrunner

Yeah, the last episode was a mess of confusing plot lines.  The flashbacks are getting annoying.  The plot of the war is ridiculous.  I agree about the Maggie and Jesus part of the battle - that just didn't make a lot of sense ("oh no - there's a tree in the road - we'll just stop here and wait for the ambush"). 

One reason I don't think I'll watch it when it resumes next year is that when Carl dies it will take up a lot of time, and they will drag out the scenes with Rick looking intensely forlorn and emotional and mad and overwrought with Michone at his side.  Then he'll make some speech or something or get introspective.  I don't think I will be able to stay awake when that happens.

ghostryder

I read the actor is scheduled for one more episode--so he'll be the focus of the opening episode this Febuary. the king was captured so we can expect something on that as well as Dwight's fate now that he has been exposed as the fink and Rick's crew is looking for revenge.

Seriously though the production quality has taken such a nose dive. The whole last episode was in the dark--the explosions simply way rediculously over the top. what was Negan logging in-napalm? All the film art attempts, flashbacks, close up shots, and everything else just brings things down. But what's worse is the abundance of rediclous characters brung over from the comic. Quite seriously what makes the TV version better is it's not the comic--there was a layer of believable drama surrounding the characters and their survival. The show is no longer about that. We get characters like the trash People, The King, Amazon women with no men, and Eugene----no one...but no one talks like Eugene. Throw in Gillian's ninja crap--like carl's disappearing act with the smoke grenade--and we're now watching Monty Phython in the Zombie end of the world...and good tv....apocalypse.

There are those that wish people like me would stop watching and stop complaining. I reject that as it makes no sense. Criticizing the show is the only hope they'll read all of it and improve. The alternative is to just let the fanboiys oh and ah about how great it is as things continue to spiral into the sewer. As the ratings plumet so will AMC's support. And the show is no more.

bayonetbrant

They were shooting M79 grenade launcher w/ 40mm grenades.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GDS_Starfury

probably because the m79 is a 40mm launcher....   :bd:
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

I understand your confusion about anything under 120mm.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

ghostryder

LOL.

The reason I asked if it was napalm is because if you pay attention when a house goes up in flame it doesn't just start from a place of impact...like a corner room, but the whole house. Not just the whole first floor but the whole house...first and second floor. Fire shoots out from every window. Those are some magical 40mm shells!

bbmike

My favorite is how Negan is the first out of the truck and just walks into enemy territory. I mean, how many times could they have just shot him and be done with it?  :D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: ghostryder on December 13, 2017, 08:08:59 AM
LOL.

The reason I asked if it was napalm is because if you pay attention when a house goes up in flame it doesn't just start from a place of impact...like a corner room, but the whole house. Not just the whole first floor but the whole house...first and second floor. Fire shoots out from every window. Those are some magical 40mm shells!

How often have you ever seen realistic munitions in a TV show or movie?  Ever?

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on December 13, 2017, 08:48:43 AMI mean, how many times could they have just shot him and be done with it?  :D

about 5-6 times so far, including the initial assault on the sanctuary