Author Topic: #TBT: Gaming Nostalgia!  (Read 10794 times)

Offline BanzaiCat

• Arquebusier
Re: #TBT: Gaming Nostalgia!
« Reply #135 on: August 04, 2017, 06:28:42 AM »
I had the original Third Reich game...that thing was a PITA to learn, especially the economy rules, but I would be damned if I wasn't going to try to play it back in the day...and did so many times, more than a few solo. $60 for a wargame back in the 80s was a king's fortune then.

Online mirth

• Little Bo Beep
  • Musketeer
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #136 on: August 04, 2017, 06:33:01 AM »
Yeah, I bet I paid at least $40 for A3R back in the early 90s. That was a good chunk of dough for a kid making less than 20K/yr
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Offline BanzaiCat

• Arquebusier
« Reply #137 on: August 04, 2017, 06:37:30 AM »
I think I was making 3.50 an hour...maybe closer to 4.00...whatever minimum wage was back in the late 80s.

It's sobering to consider that you'd have to work 20+ hours back then to pay for ONE wargame, whereas today, if I had free capital, it takes much less time to earn the dough for a game.

Online mirth

• Little Bo Beep
  • Musketeer
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #138 on: August 04, 2017, 06:39:29 AM »
We're lucky that game prices have remained mostly flat over the past 30 years.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Offline BanzaiCat

• Arquebusier
« Reply #139 on: August 04, 2017, 06:47:59 AM »
Very true...

It's funny that software is about the same, too. I worked at Babbage's back in 1989-90 and Electronics Boutique in 1990-91 and remember games like Leisure Suit Larry costing upwards of $59.99 or so when it came out. Just about every game was $59-70 or so brand new...didn't matter the platform. Amiga, Nintendo, PC, Apple, Mac, you name it.

Online mirth

• Little Bo Beep
  • Musketeer
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #140 on: August 04, 2017, 06:51:27 AM »
I'm just happy we're not paying $150-$200 for games today.

Offline BanzaiCat

• Arquebusier
« Reply #141 on: August 04, 2017, 06:53:03 AM »
Well, some games are priced at that level...we're talking about mega-games, though. I haven't seen many but it seems that the price point has gone up for a few of them, upwards of $80-100 or so for some.

Online mirth

• Little Bo Beep
  • Musketeer
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #142 on: August 04, 2017, 06:54:43 AM »
Sure, but those are well outside the average. It's unusual for me to pay more than $60 for a game, board or video. Most of what I buy is well under that.

Offline BanzaiCat

• Arquebusier
« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2017, 06:57:15 AM »
I tend to add a shitload of games to my Amazon cart and then select 'save for later.' Every so often I'll go check them, because the cart will show a list of any price changes on them. Sometimes they go down drastically in price. Armada, for example, was around $90, dropped to around $65, then soon after went back up to $80. It's like a retarded game stock market. I pretty much just hope that whatever I want is not on an upward trend when I earn a couple of Amazon gift cards.

Online mirth

• Little Bo Beep
  • Musketeer
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #144 on: August 04, 2017, 07:43:05 AM »
Brant's gonna be pissed that we're not using the new thread :P

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=20179

Offline BanzaiCat

• Arquebusier
« Reply #145 on: August 05, 2017, 10:06:04 AM »
When has that ever stopped us from derailing a thread?

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
« Reply #146 on: August 24, 2017, 07:04:15 AM »
Meanwhile: DRAGON STRIKE!

...the SSI "dragon combat simulator", not the board game.

I thought this was pretty fun, back in the day. Beat the campaign at least twice.  O0

Not as great as Drakan: Order of the Flame, for various reasons, but that was of course much later. (Essentiallly "Lara Croft: Dragon Raider".)

GROGS OF CRISIS -- a four-player mp of GMT's boardgame Time of Crisis, set in the decades before Diocletian.

Me vs Barth -- DC1: Blitz

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.

Offline BanzaiCat

• Arquebusier
« Reply #147 on: August 24, 2017, 07:12:55 AM »
i remember Dragon Strike. I thought it was kind of lame at the time. ;D

I was more into the lame-ish combat sims then...F-19, Falcon, etc....

Offline Cyrano

• Order of the Square Button
  • Man-at-Arms
  • AKA JK Actual
« Reply #148 on: August 25, 2017, 01:40:19 PM »
I really, really, really wanted it not to suck.

But it did...
Pledge Representative to the Social Committee

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

You are all a bunch of card-mangling. game miscegenators.  -- The Spirit of PanzerDe

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
« Reply #149 on: August 31, 2017, 06:34:11 AM »
Meanwhile, Republic of Rome which seems to be having a bit of a renaissance lately, especially thanks to a fan-produced prequel called Republic of Carthage.  O0
GROGS OF CRISIS -- a four-player mp of GMT's boardgame Time of Crisis, set in the decades before Diocletian.

Me vs Barth -- DC1: Blitz

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.