Graviteam Tactics: Mius-Front

Started by Asid, March 03, 2014, 09:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moreb

Under The Cruel Star Released.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/999490/Graviteam_Tactics_Under_the_Cruel_Star/

Here's what Ezra, a long time player of the series said;

After the first battle, this is another beautiful DLC. Especially if you love the Kharkov Operations.

Playing on (game difficulty) hard as the Germans I still feel sorry for the Soviet 6th gds Calvary forces---at least for the vanguard anyway. The German forces are formidable when entrenched.

I was lucky with my pre-planned artillery strikes and the defilades/enfilades were carefully layed out along ravines with timed "fire at will" selections. The smoke screens were flukes but I exploited them for well timed falling back tactics into little villages on reverse slopes.

The snow started gently falling amidst the chaos of battle.

Anyone who is an Eastern Front fan and has not played Mius Front does not know what they are missing.This game (if I can use the term) keeps getting better and better upon every DLC release.

What an unbelievable wargame.

Thank You Graviteam: Tactics

-------------------------------------------------------------

Just got home and bought the thing. Where else can you get so much gaming for $9.34? The quality of these releases should be commended also. Very tight code and I've never had a single issue with the game and the fact that they regularly release free updates, some quite big with a ton of new features, just reinforces my love for this series. I've waited my whole life for this game.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Moreb

Moreb

https://store.steampowered.com/app/999550/Graviteam_Tactics_Against_the_Tide/?curator_clanid=12134250

For the fans of this excellent game, check it out. A new operation of 10 turns each in August '43. I have yet to fire it up but plan on playing a bit tonight. I can't wait to see the Panthers that were added for this op and to see how well they perform as well as their reliabilty. New cammo patterns too.

STILL my favorite title ever.

Jarhead0331

^I saw this pop up on steam yesterday and when I read "panther" I bought it instantly. I love how these DLCs totally sneak up on you...very little advance warning for new content in the series.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Moreb

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 02, 2019, 08:53:36 PM
^I saw this pop up on steam yesterday and when I read "panther" I bought it instantly. I love how these DLCs totally sneak up on you...very little advance warning for new content in the series.

Indeed. I also appreciate the constant free updates they do such as the one yesterday. For instance, the equipment that is new to this dlc is added to the main game so players can create scenarios even if they don't own the newest dlc.  Right now it is in the Come Into Battle mode but if history is any indication will be available for free in the rest of the editor.

Here is yesterdays free update contents. Unlike another company, no charge for added content.13 and 14 are complete new models.

1) Displaying of non-capturable squares is synchronized on the operational and tactical maps (a more strict capturing mode was chosen - as on the operational map).
2) Removed changing of the vertical angle of the main weapon when firing smoke.
3) Added taking into account of snow cover and boggy grounds for location of soldiers.
4) Changed the algorithm for calculating the operational score for losses.
5) Fixed a bug with loading a wrong bullet type when picking up weapons.
6) Added destructible chassis on the Tiger tank.
7) Added camouflage on the Tiger tank.
8) Added camouflage on the Stug III F/8 SPG.
9) Added camouflage on the Pz III M/N tanks.
10) Added camouflage for the Pz IV G tank.
11) Added camouflage on the Sdkfz 250 and 251 APCs.
12) Added destructible chassis on Sdkfz 251.
13) Added the Pz V Panther tank in 5 versions.
14) Added Nebelwerfer 41 and Nebelwerfer 42 MLRS.
15) Added radio station and parking lights on the Ratel-81 IFV.
16) Added the SS-77 machine gun for soldiers of SA army

If people could get past the learning curve coupled with the documentation and lack of hand holding I would think that it's appeal would be greater. If people want realism in ww2, this is it. Heck, what other game adds colored flares that denote actual orders? The last dlc I played for over 100 hours,just from one side.

If I sound like a fanboi it's because I finally have a game to be one. Nothing else comes close. The other game (a venerable groundbreaker) is extremely dated and all the others are gamey as hell.

-budd-

I've been away from the game awhile, i'm finally at the point where if i don't play for awhile i can still jump in and kind of know what im doing, control wise. I play them like the Command Ops games, only micro when i have to.  I'm a few DLC's behind, seems like they don't put the others on sale anymore when they release a new DLC. Can't really complain to much the way they support their games with the constant improvements. Moreb, i don't suppose they added more options for the "jump in and play mode"? The Black Snow, Under the Cruel Star, and Against the Tide DLC's look really good, i'll be picking them up when i circle back around to Graviteam games.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Moreb

They've done a bit in the last couple of releases but I'm not sure when you've played it. At this point, and I don't think the developer has any plans to change it,  the Come Into Battle mode is a streamlined version and advanced orders are not used either are the larger groupings of units.

I do wish they would expand upon it so that all the features were used because it is a great way to create a battle with a point system and an unknown enemy. My dream would be to have the simplified order system for noobs and the full one also for the rest in the CiBattle mode. I just fired up the Campaign and the armor and assets look really good. It seems like the Germans are going to have a tough fight keeping the Reds out of the town.

I'll look at the CiB mode and see if I see anything new. I really enjoyed Under the Cruel Star just because it was such an odd battle with very little armor for the Soviets and little infantry for the Germans. It was smaller so easier to navigate. Most players seemed to win as the Soviets but I could not. I'm in love with a game that doesnt love me back.

Moreb

Black Snow is a great one and Raid is a re-release of the Op Star Krasnaya Polyana 1943 with updated info and a slightly expanded map I believe. Raid is a smaller battle.

sandman2575

I haven't played Mius Front in a long while. But I could not resist Panthers. And man are they cool.

I just did a quick battle, and my panzergrenadiers came under what I think was a Katyusha salvo. WoW!  :o Talk about striking terror into the hearts of your opponents...

Did the Orders mechanic get changed at some point? I recall you used to be able to Right Click to bring up the 'Order Wheel,' and then you could Right Click again on an Order to modify it in different ways. I can't seem to do that anymore??

-budd-

Don't quote me but i don't think order modifiers are available in quick battles, just orders that already have modifiers applied that you can't change.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Moreb

Quote from: sandman2575 on March 04, 2019, 05:07:16 PM
I haven't played Mius Front in a long while. But I could not resist Panthers. And man are they cool.

I just did a quick battle, and my panzergrenadiers came under what I think was a Katyusha salvo. WoW!  :o Talk about striking terror into the hearts of your opponents...

Did the Orders mechanic get changed at some point? I recall you used to be able to Right Click to bring up the 'Order Wheel,' and then you could Right Click again on an Order to modify it in different ways. I can't seem to do that anymore??

If by quick battle you mean the Come Into Battle on the lower right of the main menu then no. That feature is supposed to get new players into the game and therefore it functions are limited by design. Not my choice as I think many players would like to set up a random game but as of now, it is intended for noobs.

The new campaign is incredible and while I am just starting, the forces are complete and the map is wonderful. That town is quite big and will be a chore to hold as the Germans.

sandman2575

Hmm, I guess I kind of understand the rationale for limiting the orders functionality in the "Come Into Battle" skirmishes... but as with several Graviteam design decisions, I'm sometimes left scratching my head over what seems like a 'solution in search of a problem' attitude to implementing new ideas.  (The "save forces exit/quit" is still the most ridiculous of G'team's design choices -- I've argued with Andrey extensively about it over the years in the G'team forum... But as I've learned, arguing with Andrey is a fool's errand. The guy does not give an inch. If the games weren't so amazing, I'd probably have a lot less patience for it, but it is what it is...)

I admit I'm a complete sucker for the AFVs in these games. The operations that are largely infantry-focused I almost never play. Finally getting Panthers is fantastic -- I remember years ago Andrey posted some teasers of work being done on a Panther model, but I figured that was completely abandoned.

jomni

Is the Panther really a good tank. It's "love-hate" for me in War Thunder. Decent gun, good speed, strong front armour. But slow turret traverse and agonising reverse speed.

solops

Quote from: jomni on March 04, 2019, 08:46:23 PM
Is the Panther really a good tank. It's "love-hate" for me in War Thunder. Decent gun, good speed, strong front armour. But slow turret traverse and agonising reverse speed.
If I recall correctly, that is one of the few advantages the Sherman had over German tanks - hydraulic turret traverse. Most of the German tanks had hand crank traverse, so I read. That and its quickness and mechanical reliability were the Sherman's best features.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Moreb

Quote from: sandman2575 on March 04, 2019, 08:35:19 PM
Hmm, I guess I kind of understand the rationale for limiting the orders functionality in the "Come Into Battle" skirmishes... but as with several Graviteam design decisions, I'm sometimes left scratching my head over what seems like a 'solution in search of a problem' attitude to implementing new ideas.  (The "save forces exit/quit" is still the most ridiculous of G'team's design choices -- I've argued with Andrey extensively about it over the years in the G'team forum... But as I've learned, arguing with Andrey is a fool's errand. The guy does not give an inch. If the games weren't so amazing, I'd probably have a lot less patience for it, but it is what it is...)

I admit I'm a complete sucker for the AFVs in these games. The operations that are largely infantry-focused I almost never play. Finally getting Panthers is fantastic -- I remember years ago Andrey posted some teasers of work being done on a Panther model, but I figured that was completely abandoned.

Is it that you do not like the single save or the fact that when you quit is the only time to save? Or both. Honestly I like that system as it forces you to trudge ahead with the results and sometimes they turn into great experiences where you can really feel the effects of your decisions.

There are ways to circumvent this of course, yet I never do.