Non-Wargames on your table right now

Started by bayonetbrant, June 20, 2017, 10:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 31, 2018, 07:39:30 PM

We've been playing an app driven co-op campaign of Star Wars: Imperial Assault and we finally had time to get the group together to run the final mission today.  Lots of fun with an ending ripped right out of Rogue One for a finish.  Only two of our band made it out alive, the rest going down to lightsabers through the guts and force chokes but hey, at least the Wookie got a medal this time around.

We're going to try a co-op campaign of Descent next.

I've been debating selling my unplayed SW: Imperial Assault lately. 

Punched the boards out, but never got it on the table.  Not that it's a bad game at all.  Just that I have more Descent 2e stuff, and they're pretty much the same game minus the themes. 

Would still keep IA, but if I ever get around to picking up more expansions, I want to stick with getting those for the same game since the content variety pays two-fold considering the apps.  Having only the core IA set puts it behind in that race.  Besides already having a couple expansions for Descent, I've also painted more than half the heroes in it.

Hrmm.

BanzaiCat

LOL

I have IA, base game played one time (first scenario only), and two or three of the expansions as well plus lots of 'extra' minis too, most all unpunched/in packs. I don't want to sell them. Really would like to get to play them sometime.

BanzaiCat

I have This War Of Mine on my table, finally.

A rather depressing game, but it does have its bright spots. It's very unique though. Might deserve a video review more than a written one but I'll see.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Nefaro on April 02, 2018, 10:00:07 AM

We've been playing an app driven co-op campaign of Star Wars: Imperial Assault and we finally had time to get the group together to run the final mission today.  Lots of fun with an ending ripped right out of Rogue One for a finish.  Only two of our band made it out alive, the rest going down to lightsabers through the guts and force chokes but hey, at least the Wookie got a medal this time around.

Punched the boards out, but never got it on the table.  Not that it's a bad game at all.  Just that I have more Descent 2e stuff, and they're pretty much the same game minus the themes. 

Would still keep IA, but if I ever get around to picking up more expansions, I want to stick with getting those for the same game since the content variety pays two-fold considering the apps.  Having only the core IA set puts it behind in that race.  Besides already having a couple expansions for Descent, I've also painted more than half the heroes in it.

Hrmm.

If it's already punched, why not download the app and give solitaire a whirl to see if you think it's worth keeping?

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 02, 2018, 06:04:59 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 02, 2018, 10:00:07 AM

Hrmm.

If it's already punched, why not download the app and give solitaire a whirl to see if you think it's worth keeping?

I mean... I already have Descent, with it's app, and more content for it. 

Pretty much the same game; one being Star Wars, the other Fantasy.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Right. But what's stopping you from trying Imperial Assault out?

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 03, 2018, 09:59:42 PM
Right. But what's stopping you from trying Imperial Assault out?

Just setup time & flighty interests.

The reason I haven't sold it is because I would like to get some play out of it since I originally bought it for that purpose.  ;D

Recently got into the "sell it if it's not getting played" mentality.  Mainly because I'm running out of shelf space and want to free some up.  Already sold a few, but another list has been in the making.

BanzaiCat

Just received this yesterday but haven't had time to open it or try it out. Out of town for the next few weeks so will definitely have some time at some point.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I played FFG's Fallout boardgame tonight.  Nice production quality and there were some interesting mechanics but as though it lacked focus.  Most of the time each of us was just meandering across the map with no real plan in motion.  I'd like to give it another try with a different scenario to see if they play out much differently but I'm not sold on it.  Lots of flavour to it but I feel as though most of the enjoyment comes from exploration and reading the flavour text on the location and event cards.  Once you've gone through a scenario once, most of the unknown will be gone so I don't think there's much replayability.

bbmike

Quote from: BanzaiCat on June 18, 2018, 09:01:48 AM
Just received this yesterday but haven't had time to open it or try it out. Out of town for the next few weeks so will definitely have some time at some point.

Decent game. I like the sliding card mechanic.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on June 21, 2018, 07:26:42 AM
Quote from: BanzaiCat on June 18, 2018, 09:01:48 AM

Decent game. I like the sliding card mechanic.

you should write a review
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

We have nowhere to put those on this site.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

We need to get a whatchamacallit, 'front page'? or somethin' like that...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

Civ: A New Dawn is surprisingly simple and has a mechanic where you cannot get knocked out of the game, which itself is quite interesting. I also really like the five-stage mechanic of utilizing card play to execute orders. I read the rules finally last night and hope to get a game in tonight after work. I don't have but a few small games with me other than this one so a review is possible if I'm not going all over the damn place this weekend (Saturday is pretty full).

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 21, 2018, 07:31:29 PM
We need to get a whatchamacallit, 'front page'? or somethin' like that...

How would people find such a thing?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus