Games Labs Announce new game - Single Player - Smugglers\Pirates in northsea\med

Started by Destraex, January 15, 2020, 03:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Games labs are starting work this year on a new game. The description makes it sound to me like they tried to make naval action 2 in the north sea and gave up because of the multiplayer community back and forth hate\love. So they turned it into a single player project is my hunch.

"this year will also start work on a new single player focused game with first person view from deck - Sea Legends - about smugglers and privateers in the Mediterranean and North sea. This research will be shared and will greatly benefit the improvements of quality of PVE combat in Naval Action."

Here are he plans for naval action in the first half of 2020:
https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/33598-development-plans-update-first-half-of-2020/?fbclid=IwAR2XCTdDpjqPkYmg51Pi2GQT4toCRcu0yU2KEGJUJqd5YnoE2Pe_qd3E_J4
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

besilarius

Now that's different.
Being able to raid the Smyrna Convoy on it's return from the Turkish Empire would be really new.
And might give some attention to the different French privateers like Blankman and Surcouf.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

Very interesting. As has been said here before I just hope they aren't spreading themselves too thin.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Phantom

Sounds interesting.
Don't know if anyone here tried Pirates of the Caribbean/City of Abandoned ships. Sounds a similar theme/game mode. Regarding POTC/COA I found it very immersive & entertaining, and there were several excellent user mods that transformed it into a historical/Naval fiction type game (you could be Hornblower or Jack Aubrey - wonderful). It was relatively realistic (with the mods) the only thing that annoyed me was the requirement for boarding & one on one fights with the enemy captains which was sort of hard wired into the original vanilla version.
Naval Action was tempting but the multi player element always put me off so never bought it. Single player would certainly get my interest, & north sea/Med would make it great for the historical avenues it could open.
Regards
Keith

JasonPratt

So... huh. A theater combining North Sea(s) and also the Med? For a pirate game that's ambitious!

I like the idea of having used Naval Action as a testground for doing a single player game.  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bobarossa

So for the Mediterranean pirates can you crack the whip to make the rowers go harder?  I would have to change my avatar if I played it (but I could keep the name).

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Quote from: Phantom on January 15, 2020, 10:23:47 AM
Sounds interesting.
Don't know if anyone here tried Pirates of the Caribbean/City of Abandoned ships. Sounds a similar theme/game mode. Regarding POTC/COA I found it very immersive & entertaining, and there were several excellent user mods that transformed it into a historical/Naval fiction type game (you could be Hornblower or Jack Aubrey - wonderful). It was relatively realistic (with the mods) the only thing that annoyed me was the requirement for boarding & one on one fights with the enemy captains which was sort of hard wired into the original vanilla version.
Naval Action was tempting but the multi player element always put me off so never bought it. Single player would certainly get my interest, & north sea/Med would make it great for the historical avenues it could open.
Regards
Keith

Just wanted to advise that naval action does have completely segregated pve (player versus ai enemy)servers that their is no pvp allowed on.

Phantom

Thanks Destraex, that's worth knowing - are the AI controlled ships in that environment random are do they confirm to any historical era or nationality?

Destraex

The ships are all historical in the game. But I think you mean are all ships restricted to their original historical nation?
If that is what you are asking then no, their are not enough ships for that and so all ships are on all sides. However like I said, all ships are historical from historical sources. The devs do not do a ship unless they have proper blueprints and good enough information.

Here are the current in game ships:

https://naction.info/index.php/Ships

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Quote from: Destraex on January 15, 2020, 11:14:07 PM
Just wanted to advise that naval action does have completely segregated pve (player versus ai enemy)servers that their is no pvp allowed on.

Oryl!?

Had I but known...! I shall recall this for a future sale opportunity.  ^-^

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, I remembered a minute ago that there IS a North Sea -slash- Mediterranean "pirates" game system, just not both in the same contiguous game: the "Port Royale" game engine (the first good super-update-remake for Sid Meir's original Pirates game), for the "Patrician" series and "Rise of Venice".

Of course you can't walk around on the ship decks as with Sea Dogs and its successors/sequels.

Destraex

I must say. By the time games labs finishes the single player game. I will probably be ready to ditch multiplayer for good. I also won't be getting the single player game if it is not aimed to tell some good history. I want to be a French privateer... NOT a pirate. I hate pirates.

besilarius

The lines could be very blurred.  Surcouf started as a privateer, but was also not above poaching ships of the French East Indian Company.
Still, if you could avoid being hanged, things could work out well.
Giovanni Verrazano had a bridge named after him in New York.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.