Swords_and_Sorcery__Underworld__Definitive_Edition is this a worthy RPG>?

Started by gameleaper, July 17, 2017, 11:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameleaper

http://store.steampowered.com/app/408400/Swords_and_Sorcery__Underworld__Definitive_Edition/

I was looking for a classic RPG but with modern niceties, I want deep RPG gameplay NOT 3d whizzing gfx, This game looks like its the real thing but at £10 I jumped as it looked old tech, but if the gameplay has it then I would, but has anyone tried it?

airboy

Quote from: gameleaper on July 17, 2017, 11:40:59 AM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/408400/Swords_and_Sorcery__Underworld__Definitive_Edition/

I was looking for a classic RPG but with modern niceties, I want deep RPG gameplay NOT 3d whizzing gfx, This game looks like its the real thing but at £10 I jumped as it looked old tech, but if the gameplay has it then I would, but has anyone tried it?

Seems like a strong tactical combat interface if the reviews can be believed.  Not seeing much about the story line.  Might be good if you want more of a straight hack & slash.

gameleaper

I read a review, where you have all sorts of combat options, like press forward, redeploy positions, shield weaker charectors with the stronger charectors armor, run, there was a lot more to it than I can remember, but the combat really interested me , its turn based that I loved, I don't know what the story is about either.

bayonetbrant

if you just want some basic hack-and-slash entertainment, check out Card Hunter for free

cardhunter.com
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

DennisS

If you want a game like this, but better in every way, go to GOG and get Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

airboy

gameleaper

I watched all the M&M vids on youtube, and 6 onwards looks like real time combat, and pre 6 looks very basic controls and dosnt seem as indepth as swords and sorcery promises. I know there good games but I don't thint there going to doit for me.

Rayfer

Quote from: gameleaper on July 17, 2017, 01:33:58 PM
I watched all the M&M vids on youtube, and 6 onwards looks like real time combat, and pre 6 looks very basic controls and dosnt seem as indepth as swords and sorcery promises. I know there good games but I don't thint there going to doit for me.

Six is a classic.  Combat can be either real time or turn based, your choice.  I found it impossible in real time.  Played turn based exclusively.  One tip....you'll face hordes of enemies so get bow skill and bows for all 4 party members as soon as possible, go to turn based combat and mow them down from a distance.

gameleaper

FarAway Sooner

The title mentioned in the OP has a Demo that I'm downloading right now.  Might be fun to play this with my son sometime? 

Nefaro

I've not played S&S, although it's been on my wishlist for a long time.

If you want an old school turn-based Tile Crawl, I'd also recommend The Quest.

It's a single character RPG (not a party) that isn't very heavy on character stats, but still has a lot of content.

gameleaper

now I missed that demo, thankyou, could answer the questions I have about it.

gameleaper

the quest looks realy the kind of game I'm looking for , so I have 3 choices now thx guys